• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Phipps to the waratahs is the perfect storm of hate for me.

I honestly reckon the bloke would be 3rd choice at the Brumbies or Reds. I'm still not quite over the fact he's a wallaby.

Good luck to him but..

Off topic, but 4th choice at Brumbies at best. Apart from White, who may even be better than Genia, both Prior and Swanepoel would be before Phipps.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Phipps is too inconsistent.

Question is, does Cheika WANT any of the useless bar stools? He's stated his intention for a three year plan, and year 1 may be cultural shift. Part of that is bringing poor performers into line, and the rest is getting rid of those who won't contribute meaningfully.

After what I saw last night, he'll be thoroughly happy to put a few red lines through a list of names.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Phipps is to inconsistent.

Question is, does Cheika WANT any of the useless bar stools? He's stated his intention for a three year plan, and year 1 may be cultural shift. Part of that is bringing poor performers into line, and the rest is getting rid of those who won't contribute meaningfully.

After what I saw last night, he'll be thoroughly happy to put a few red lines through a list of names.

My only concern is that there are a large number of tahs players showing that they dont have the nouse to play more flexibly - which is what I think is called for - where is he going to find 15-20 better players in one go?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Club rugby. We don't need guys who have the right beep test results or the right school tie. I want utter carnts who eat raw meat for breakfast and would value a contract, rather than expect it.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Further: look at Scott Fardy. I keep coming back to this bloke, but bloody well look at him. Hardly the "monster" lock that seems so common these days, but the engine in the bloke is immense. Didn't really get his start at Super level until his late 20s.

I think we can all agree the NSW talent identification system is about as shite as the marketing, so I'd say we'll be waiting at least a year for the Tahs to show any turnaround.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Scott Fardy is case and point why club rugby isn't good enough to be the third tier. Had the ARC continued he probably would have been playing at a higher standard for longer and wouldn't've had to wait another 5 years to actually get a Super rugby game under his belt.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Further: look at Scott Fardy. I keep coming back to this bloke, but bloody well look at him. Hardly the "monster" lock that seems so common these days, but the engine in the bloke is immense. Didn't really get his start at Super level until his late 20s.

I think we can all agree the NSW talent identification system is about as shite as the marketing, so I'd say we'll be waiting at least a year for the Tahs to show any turnaround.

The Tahs will always be blamed for the one who got away, Fardy? Add him to the list

The reality is that we had a forward coach - who became the head coach who is/was a size queen.

Whilst the trend setters, the Kiwis, were looking to more and more athletic, dynamic units. We lose a semi in SA and the coach's' decision is throw everyone onto weight programs - and they end up bigger, slower, less athlete & dynamic than before.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Whilst the trend setters, the Kiwis, were looking to more and more athletic, dynamic units. We lose a semi in SA and the coach's' decision is throw everyone onto weight programs - and they end up bigger, slower, less athlete & dynamic than before.
Like X 100

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Scott Fardy is case and point why club rugby isn't good enough to be the third tier. Had the ARC continued he probably would have been playing at a higher standard for longer and wouldn't've had to wait another 5 years to actually get a Super rugby game under his belt.

Yes well done. But you can't magic up a third tier right now. We have to work with what we've got, and though it pains me to say it, club rugby is it until systems are put in place.

Even then you have to fight the Poidevins and other old boys who believe club rugby has done the job for a hundred years, so why change it? They'll be looking to promote their own club at the expense of common sense.

Woodenspoon

Herbert Moran (7)
I wonder why they chose to sign Phipps. Surely a worthy player, but is he really a big improvement compared with McKibbin, the young Lucas or with a Burgess' comeback?

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I'd happily get rid of any of the current squad - but only if there is a better option coming to replace them. That is the problem - there aren't all that many better options available. The other problem is that (with the Phipps signing) I worry that the Waratahs are not capable of identifying the best available players, let alone sign them.

Beale is coming off contract - get him back.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I'm not even sure they have to be better.
The current mob are tainted by the past few years.The oft mentioned culture of entitlement and complacency is very difficult to eradicate,without a cleanout of personnel.
The captain saying they gave up is a terrible indictment on the group.
In this instance it would appear that the sum of the parts are greater than the whole.
Mowen improving greatly with a change of scenery will probably be a common theme if there is a cleanout.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Mowen improving greatly with a change of scenery will probably be a common theme if there is a cleanout.

So relocate them to Bathurst. Nice little town, not too many distractions, all the players can live close to each other and close to their training venues. A bit like Canberra, in fact.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
It's more splitting them from the herd, than changing the geographic location of their workplace, that will see an improvement in their individual performances IMO.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
So relocate them to Bathurst. Nice little town, not too many distractions, all the players can live close to each other and close to their training venues. A bit like Canberra, in fact.
How about Oberon?
No night life.
Bitterly cold.
Nothing to think about except how to atone for the previous weeks fuck ups.
Kind of like NZ.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

forwards4ever

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Astute and management are two words that should not be used in the same sentence when referring to the Tahs back office.

Arrogant would better describe them! Do they even know that there is grass roots rugby going on in this state!

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'd happily get rid of any of the current squad - but only if there is a better option coming to replace them. That is the problem - there aren't all that many better options available. The other problem is that (with the Phipps signing) I worry that the Waratahs are not capable of identifying the best available players, let alone sign them.

Beale is coming off contract - get him back.

Might want to sign a few of your own players back before going for the big earners like Beale, you know Izzy is going to take up half your salary cap next season anyway. You have Phipps and we will have Robinson, fair trade in my book. Beale and JOC (James O'Connor) will both stay in Melbourne, main reason only us or Force have room for them in the Salary Cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.