• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Absent Friend

Peter Burge (5)
It is worth listening to this weeks interview with Cheika on the podcast, he explains a pretty exciting process for the younglings and club rugby
I also liked the interview, but Coach Cheika spoke about the Arg tour squad being a chance to look in particular at hookers, locks and outside backs. I cant see that the Club players chosen to cover those positions are the next best in Clubland are they? surley there is some politics involved in the spread of selections as well?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If Argie tour is to look at hookers, and young Roach from Eastwood (I note he is still being used as a #7 by the Woodies) isn't going, then it must be a sign that the Force must have got their grubby mitts on him.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
If Argie tour is to look at hookers, and young Roach from Eastwood (I note he is still being used as a #7 by the Woodies) isn't going, then it must be a sign that the Force must have got their grubby mitts on him.

It sure looks like that add Adam Coleman to that list.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'd be pretty happy with that. If the Force bring Tai McIsaac back as a forwards coach it could be great for Roach. From what I've seen of the U20s Roach is sensational about the field but could use some tightening up with the set piece. Tai was a great scrummaging/throwing hooker- just a shame he was a bit lazy round the field.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I also liked the interview, but Coach Cheika spoke about the Arg tour squad being a chance to look in particular at hookers, locks and outside backs. I cant see that the Club players chosen to cover those positions are the next best in Clubland are they? surley there is some politics involved in the spread of selections as well?

maybe some politics, maybe some availability

I actually think it is good to see the net spread a bit wider than just the elite clubs

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
maybe some politics, maybe some availability

I actually think it is good to see the net spread a bit wider than just the elite clubs
Agree - but surely there is a reason no woodies are on tour?
I enjoy Woodies rugby so not sledging - I note Sydney V Country games, Sydney has trouble selecting players from Uni, I mean Uni are brushed for those games despite all the talent they have and I find that odd as well?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Rugby News web site - use to be able to access back issues, they have the tab but there are no issues to access. Is that correct?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Agree - but surely there is a reason no woodies are on tour?
I enjoy Woodies rugby so not sledging - I note Sydney V Country games, Sydney has trouble selecting players from Uni, I mean Uni are brushed for those games despite all the talent they have and I find that odd as well?

Who knows why Eastwood units are being ignored for this tour. Being critical and guessing, they are a very solid team at the moment, but great individuals? Dunno about that, they currently have a load of solid units who have gone OK in Super rugby, but apart from Robinson & Alexander who have even held a super spot for long; and more importantly who of the current crop would?

Steve Cummins & Roach look as possibilities, but most of the other prospects have had their chance

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Cheika said that he spoke to the various Shute Shield coaches regarding players that they were happy to release for the tour and also players that the coaches thought were worth a look at.

The lack of Eastwood players might indicate that John Manenti wasn't keen on releasing any of his players. It may also indicate that Damien Fitzpatrick and Hugh Roach are already well and truly on Cheika's radar.

Others have mentioned that Boyd Killingworth is worth considering. In the absence of Luke Holmes isn't he Warringah captain? Maybe they didn't want to release him on that basis.

People are making the mistake of assuming that the players touring with NSW are a Shute Shield representative team and then getting outraged that the best Shute Shield players haven't been selected. Nothing has been said to indicate that this is in any way a representative team.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Cheika said that he spoke to the various Shute Shield coaches regarding players that they were happy to release for the tour and also players that the coaches thought were worth a look at.

The lack of Eastwood players might indicate that John Manenti wasn't keen on releasing any of his players. It may also indicate that Damien Fitzpatrick and Hugh Roach are already well and truly on Cheika's radar.

Others have mentioned that Boyd Killingworth is worth considering. In the absence of Luke Holmes isn't he Warringah captain? Maybe they didn't want to release him on that basis.

People are making the mistake of assuming that the players touring with NSW are a Shute Shield representative team and then getting outraged that the best Shute Shield players haven't been selected. Nothing has been said to indicate that this is in any way a representative team.

Boyd would be about the 14th choice as captain!
so it's not that.
If the idea is not to pick the best SS players,what is the purpose of the tour?
If it's a development tour,why aren't they developing the best performed players?
It's a little like the invites to train with the Tahs last summer, there were many better performed players who were grinding their teeth at home,at the opportunity given to much inferior players.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
so it's not that.
If it's a development tour,why aren't they developing the best performed players?
It's a little like the invites to train with the Tahs last summer, there were many better performed players who were grinding their teeth at home,at the opportunity given to much inferior players.

I liked his comments on​
Volavola, he had a few options to training and he had the right attitude and skills

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
so it's not that.

I'd guess that the opportunity for the tour has come about because Argentina has paid some of NSW's costs to make it happen.

I think the players Cheika is most after are potential 2014 EPS players. Some of the players he sees as having lots of potential are possibly not players that currently dominate in Shute Shield.

Will Skelton for example basically bypassed ever doing anything in club rugby prior to becoming a very promising Super Rugby player.

The vast majority of the non Super Rugby players picked in this touring squad are young players. Older players that are more known quantities are unlikely to get EPS spots and can (and have previously) been drafted into the squad for a period of time when there is an injury crisis.

This was raised by several people at the time. I'd imagine a big part of it is players who can afford to do it. I imagine most players are ruled out because they have jobs.

Absent Friend

Peter Burge (5)
so it's not that.

Eastwood’s McDougall called up for Argentina tour

25/07/2013
By Waratahs Rugby Media Unit
McDougall,-Michael-tac.jpg
McDougall in action​

Michael McDougall has today been called into the NSW Barbarians squad for next month’s two-match tour of Argentina.
The 22-year-old centre from Eastwood will take the place of Berrick Barnes, after coach Michael Cheika decided against taking the departing Wallaby.
Said assistant coach Alan Gaffney of McDougall, “He’s got some good wraps on him. People who are good judges have rated him very highly, not only people from Eastwood but also those who have played against him.
“He’s a player with a good all round game and someone who we believe could make the transition to the next level.”
Cheika has also confirmed the withdrawal of Tatafu Polota Nau who failed to sufficiently recover from his broken forearm, and Sitaleki Timani, who it has been agreed will not tour.
A decision on whether or not to replace Timani or Polota Nau will be made at the weekend, following the conclusion of Saturday’s Shute Shield Round 15 matches.
The details of the two matches against the Pumas are now also confirmed. The first match will take place on August 3 at La Plata RC, La Plata City, Buenos Aires and kicks off at 3.40pm local time.
The second match on August 9 will be played at Estadio Padre Martearena in Salta (8.10pm). As broadcast details have yet to confirmed, it is not yet known whether NSW fans will be able to watch the matches on TV or via the internet.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
As broadcast details have yet to confirmed, it is not yet known whether NSW fans will be able to watch the matches on TV or via the internet.
Booooo!!!

The kickoff times seem a bit odd though, perhaps that is to appease Australian viewers? Or am I being optimistic?

Status
Not open for further replies.