• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Remember when Folau joined the Tahs Ricky Stewart was filthy calling him 'dishonourable and greedy.' Surprise surprise, 18 months later Stewart leaves his Parramatta contract and signs with Canberra for 'family reasons'. When asked about this apparent double standards Folau would have been forgiven if he returned serve and let rip into Stewart, but no he said:

Not only is he an incredible talent on the field, he handles himself well off the field. Hopefully that rubs off on KB (Kurtley Beale) and perhaps he could have a chat with JOC (James O'Connor).

Izzy does look to be an ornament to the game, but I fear it might be too late for a chat with JOC (James O'Connor).

Cyril Towers (30)
Good to hear Beale is out promoting the game in the off season. Even better that he has ventured outside Sydney into country NSW, Wellington. Not sure why he was joined by two Penrith Panthers.

http://www.wellingtontimes.com.au/story/1785445/rugby-union-player-coming-to-wellington/
Indeed it's good to see and Kurtley is good at it. I suspect this is more about connecting with the local aboriginal youth than promoting any one code. And those kids love Kurtley. Good on him. It's worth noting that Cheika is very much in favour of this sort of community involvement and all of the boys have been out and about recently. There's a good culture building at the place.

T

tranquility

Where on earth is Sam Lane? He needs to be playing rugby at one of the franchises.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I finally watched the Shute Shield final, I would be simply amazed if Foley isn't the starting 10 for the Tahs.

Personally I would take him over any other Aus 10.

Direct, a running proper threat, kicked goals well and a great wide pass and short pass in traffic.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
I am probably biased but I thought Foley was the better 10 this year and I'm definitely keen to see him in the wallabies provincial bias be damned! At least we are on paper looking good for 2014.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
There's a presser with Cheika at 12.30 - squad announcement.

Will let folks know what he said though it will probably be on the net by the time I get home.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So the announcement was that Tolu Latu and Matt Carraro are part of next year's squad.

Nothing to do with the EPS yet.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
I finally watched the Shute Shield final, I would be simply amazed if Foley isn't the starting 10 for the Tahs.

Personally I would take him over any other Aus 10.

Direct, a running proper threat, kicked goals well and a great wide pass and short pass in traffic.
agree the only 10 we have who looks up and takes 2 steps forward

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Cheika has announced 29 of the 30 main squad for 2014:

Robinson
Tilse
Polota-Nau
Latu
Kepu
Ryan
Douglas
Skelton
Potgieter
Chapman
Dennis
Gray
Hooper
McCutcheon
Palu
Holloway
Phipps
McKibbin
Foley
Volavola
Beale
Crawford
Betham
Carraro
Horne
Ashley-Cooper
Folau
Lance
Hodge

Said the remaining one will most likely be a prop. Any suggestions? The surprising thing for me is Matt Lucas is gone, maybe he'll be back in the EPS but I would've had him over McKibbin - thought he was playing really well for Manly.

EPS maybe:

- Hugh Roach
- Alofa Alofa
- Adam Coleman
- Matt Lucas

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
So the announcement was that Tolu Latu and Matt Carraro are part of next year's squad.

Nothing to do with the EPS yet.

Correct.

The EPS window is now open; so the Super teams can start signing them up.

Pending advice from the ARU, they are still not sure about the junior situation and what additional coaching resources they will need.

Tolu Latu said his family came to Oz when he was 2; he also said that he will now have to give up his job as a forklift driver.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Cheika has announced 29 of the 30 main squad for 2014:

Robinson
Tilse
Polota-Nau
Latu
Kepu
Ryan
Douglas
Skelton
Potgieter
Chapman
Dennis
Gray
Hooper
McCutcheon
Palu
Holloway
Phipps
McKibbin
Foley
Volavola
Beale
Crawford
Betham
Carraro
Horne
Ashley-Cooper
Folau
Lance
Hodge

Said the remaining one will most likely be a prop. Any suggestions? The surprising thing for me is Matt Lucas is gone, maybe he'll be back in the EPS but I would've had him over McKibbin - thought he was playing really well for Manly.

EPS maybe:

- Hugh Roach
- Alofa Alofa
- Adam Coleman
- Matt Lucas

Good squad.
Wonder whether they will fold EPS into the mooted Academy that each Australian S15 franchise will have. The fun will be to pick those 15-20 players.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Full squad member (no EPS) at the tender age of 20 as a hooker and back up for Tafs. Cheika must hold Latu in high regard, interesting, only time will tell.

He mentioned him in his interview at the GF, also McDonald, the woodies 12, and the West Harbour winger whose name I can't spell

Sent from a tiny evil keyboard

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
So Hodge keeps his place?

Surprise for me too, but if Betham or Crawford get crocked with a long term injury we will need another 11/13/14 as back-up, so maybe that's the reasoning behind it..

Anyone know when the EPS window closes? I really want Horwitz to be one of that 5, even if we've got a lot of class 10's. We need to keep him locked up for the future.

Richo

John Thornett (49)

McKibbin can kick goals. We're thin on that front without him.

Status
Not open for further replies.