• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What is Alofa's nickname? Bread?:rolleyes:

Roach is hoping to be a Tah.

I predict that there will be some classic Twee Dad's jokes coming up from Mr Alofa's rise to the Tahs.

There are planty of Tahs supporters who want Roach to achieve his goal, instead of signing out of state.

Fowi

Chris McKivat (8)
During half time of the shute shield today they interviewed Roach after he won the rookie of the year. And he said he wanted to play for that Tahs.

Also interestingly he said the players he looked up to most were Hooper, Gill and Pockock! Maybe he see's himself as a number 7 now who can also play hooker?

mjw

Larry Dwyer (12)
During half time of the shute shield today they interviewed Roach after he won the rookie of the year. And he said he wanted to play for that Tahs.

Also interestingly he said the players he looked up to most were Hooper, Gill and Pockock! Maybe he see's himself as a number 7 now who can also play hooker?
Also interesting Cheika when talking to Al Baxter during the final expressed interest in the Uni No 2.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
When TPN is your first choice hooker, history has shown that you need three hookers in your squad to cover injuries, and the third choice will back themselves to get a fair bit of game time.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
When TPN is your first choice hooker, history has shown that you need three hookers in your squad to cover injuries, and the third choice will back themselves to get a fair bit of game time.

Don't forget you need someone in the squad who can remind him what a good line out throw is supposed to look like as well.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
My thoughts on rounding out the squad would be to keep Holmes, Volavola and Chapman in the main squad bringing the number to 30 (I'd forgotten about Jono Lance in my previous post).

The EPS then needs to be very hooker heavy!

I would sign Tolu Latu, Hugh Roach, Alofa Alofa, Adam Coleman and an inside back. If David Horwitz doesn't end up going to the Rebels he would be that guy.
There is talk of a Super 15 Academy team. Who should be in that?
A good start (IMO) would be the non contracted players that went to Argentina, then the nominees for Rookie of the Year as this was picked by the Waratahs.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Poor Rob Horne, his reward for his best season ever is not being picked in the wallabies squad and being dumped from the Tahs starting 15.
I don't think he will have to wait long for that backline to struggle.

Folau ain't a 13, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) ain't a 12

Sent from a tiny evil keyboard

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
If that team is so, surely that's leave a bench looking something like:

16. Paddy Ryan (Wouldn't be surprised to see him push Kepi for his starting spot, he's a great ball runner and quite mobile for a prop)
17. Roach (?) (Surely we can look to the future and do better than Holmes)
18. Tilse (?) (Again, could do better IMO)
19. Will Skelton (Great prospect, would love to see him get some serious game time this season)
20. Grey / McCutcheon / Chapman (A testament to our backrow depth - all solid players)
21. McKibben / Lucas (Both solid options, would be happy with either, with perhaps Lucas offering a bit more impact off the bench)
22. Jonno Lance (Provides cover for flyhalf, inside and fullback - great utility back and a very solid player)
23. Rob Horne (Great player coming off a great season. Would hate to see him benched but it's great our squad is that strong and the competition can only do good things for the team as a whole)

With the exception of hooker and one prop spot, a very formidable bench and that doesn't take into account the several talents we have waiting in the wings (Volavola etc). Very exciting stuff going into next year, especially considering the reunion of the Foley / Phipps combination from their Uni and Sevens days, alongside the Betham / Beale combination that terrorized GPS footy across Sydney in 2005 / 2006.

Bring on 2014!!

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
does all this mean that after all this time the tahs will finally win the Super Rugby season?

Only for it to disappear? On the bright side, perhaps they get to keep the trophy forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.