• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I think 13 is Folau's long term position in rugby, I just don't think that he is ready to play there yet. Even with that backline above numbers on the jerseys are irrelevant as there are a lot of versatility in the players and with Cheika's running rugby style of play I think even if Folau lines out at 14/15 we'll see him in the 13 channel in attack a fair bit anyways

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Early draw has been released for next year... We miss the Crusaders and the Cheetahs.

EDIT: That South African tour is pretty awesome for traveling fans... hmmm...

Attachments

• 2014 Draw.jpg
    2014 Draw.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 330

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Poor Rob Horne, his reward for his best season ever is not being picked in the Wallabies squad and being dumped from the Tahs starting 15.

I don't think Rob's got much to lose sleep over, St Catastrophe of the Injuries'll ensure he gets plenty of time at 12 (or 13) next year.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
I don't think Rob's got much to lose sleep over, St Catastrophe of the Injuries'll ensure he gets plenty of time at 12 (or 13) next year.
why would you move AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Folau from 13 and 15 after this season?..Agree about Horne he is finally playing the style of Rugby that he was at his peak....even with injuries I'm at a loss to understand the reasoning behind this...Folau is first pick 15 in any team and he is now up there with Halfpenny and Dagg, leave him at 15 for a season he will be world 15.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Way too early to compare him with Halfpenny and Dagg.

I like the potential move to 13. His top end pace is not great for a 15 or international wing plus his ball skills and ability to get an offload away is well ahead of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). He can also get over the gain line and his step will be very dangerous.

With Beale at 15 this makes a lot of sense for the Tahs. He would be under utilised on the wing and Foley did too well to move from 10 which is about the only other option.

T

tranquility

Folau could easily be the best 15 in the world, including Dagg and Halfpenny. He could also easily be a very good 13, but it negates so many of his point of difference skills. Obviously the high ball, his improving kicking game, counter-attacking running and linking game. He also has good instincts on when to follow the ball, and he would lose that flexibility playing at 13. He is so much more than a hole runner, or a crash ball player.

The Waratahs is a different jig-saw puzzle as they need to get the best players on the paddock, but at Wallaby level I would leave him at 15 and watch him grown into a behemoth.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
Folau at 13 is a must. Why? Watch him square up the opposition 13 and then step him on the outside and palm him off and drawing in the winger to either set-up a free Beale or Betham/Crawford.

Got to remember he's going 13 because Beale is 15. 13 is hard enough to defend without worrying about who to defend, Folau or Beale.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Folau doesn't have high top-end pace but is phenomenally at beating multiple defenders when he has a bit of space. That's what's so intriguing about moving him to 13. But I think that might be a long-term option.

I reckon at the start of the season we might see 9. Phipps 10. Foley 11. Crawford 12. Horne 13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) 14. Betham 15. Folau, with Kurtley needing to prove himself off the bench. The alternative is 14. Folau, 15. Kurtley. But Folau would have to be a more assertive, roving winger than he has been so far.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Way too early to compare him with Halfpenny and Dagg.

Folau is streets ahead of Halfpenny in every aspect of full back play except kicking, I'd place him as comfortably the second best 15 in the world right now.

However I think his game breaking assets would be better utilised at 13 and it would bring his offloading game into play more. He is phenomenal when he has a small bit of space to work in, a situation that 13s face with the style of defense in fashion at the moment. That said he'll be a superstar in either position, I'm just hoping we don't ship him out to the wing where I feel he is wasted.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm all for trying to train Folau up to play 13 as well as 15 and the wing. It can't hurt to add another string to his bow. Combined with this we'll have AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) getting more training to play 12. His distribution game needs improvement in the same way that we saw Horne's flourish last year at 12.

The Tahs have plenty of quality backs and when everyone is fit it will be tricky getting them all game time.

I think it is important to ensure there is enough versatility that when there are an injury or two, we're not left with a Wallaby on the bench and an EPS player in the starting backline (or similar).

If you start next year thinking that Horne can play 12 or 13, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) 12, 13, 14 or 15, Folau 13, 14, or 15, Crawford 14 or 15, Beale 10 or 15, Foley 10 or 15 and Lance 10, 12, 15 then we should have some pretty good options.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Early draw has been released for next year. We miss the Crusaders and the Cheetahs.

EDIT: That South African tour is pretty awesome for traveling fans. hmmm.

Maybe for travelling fans but the two blocks of three away games will be a very tough ask. Sharks first, then Stormers - you'd think we would drop at least one of those games and then the Force on the way home will be a real banana skin game. Second block has the Rebels, Chiefs and Reds and unless the Reds fall in a heap next year that will be really tough. We could easily lose two of those.

Still, no Crusaders, no Cheetahs. That's two bogey teams out of the way. Bulls and Lions should both be gimme's - the Bulls have lost half their squad to overseas teams. You normally like to have the weaker franchises away and the stronger franchises at home but we have the reverse of that.

Overall its a so-so draw. Not the worst, not the best. With the swapping of the home/away venues in 2015 you would have to think that if we don't quite get it right in 2014 then 2015 might be our best chance at the Holy Grail. World Cup year and our best players wanting to make the team for England.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
getting folau into offloading positions at 13 will something to watch - i hope. i don't think we lose anything with this experiment as he can always drop back to 15 if it's not working.

however, i'm less than thrilled with beale's return. this is a very much take it or leave it proposition for me.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Chieks is obviously going to be working with Two Dads on the whole passing thing in the off season.

I know I harp on about it, and that plenty of people on these threads get upset that this observation is made, but the reality is that the ball goes to ground far too often with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) when there are attacking options open outside him.

When was the last time an opponent actually bought the traditional AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) dummy and step inside manoeuvre?

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Am I the only one that would like to see a backline of 9. Phipps 10. Foley 11. Crawford 12. Horne 13. Folau 14. Betham and 15. Beale?

We all know versatility is one of the great things about AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), he can cover off nearly all the backline from the bench. Surely having him on the bench would allow us more options and from what I've seen over the last 12 months I think Horne is a better 12 than 2 dads.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has been so crucial to our defensive structures that he should stay in our first choice midfield.

I'd be happy to see him play some 12 and 13 next year (same with Horne).

Status
Not open for further replies.