• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
This is the lates from chieka which is exactly what Naiyaravoro's agent said a few months ago and is probably why the Tahs only want Guildford for 1 year:
"Despite reports a Test cap could scuttle Naiyaravoro’s deal with Glasgow, Cheika confirmed the winger would be heading to Scotland but added he believes he will return and continue pursuing more Wallabies caps.

Naiyaravoro has a three-year deal but it is understood that he may be back as soon as 2017, pending contractual negotiations."
http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/remo...before-selection/story-fni2fxyf-1227511693683

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Allianz Stadium to be rebuilt as a 50-55k seater. Construction will start in the next 5-7 years. Good news, seems like the perfect size and follows the Suncorp model.

Homebush Stadium to also be upgraded, kicking off after Allianz Stadium. May put in a retractable roof.

Also I've heard they are committing $650 to raise the height of the goalposts at Concord Oval another 15m. A very important reform indeed.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Cheap at half the price! Nothing worse than short goal posts.

Is an election coming up - how locked in are these stadium upgrades?

SFS at 55k would be great. Put that plastic roof on while they're at it.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
What an incredibly self-indulgent waste of money these proposed stadium redevelopments are. $300m or whatever to build a new stadium in the Moore Park area, ALL FOR ANOTHER 20,000 10,000 SEATS! AND takes away sorely-needed public space in Sydney's inner-east with two high schools close by and a plethora of professional clubs vying for training space. WTF doesn't someone have the imagination to commission some structural engineers alter the SFS to what's dreamed about with the new one? Can't be that difficult. The SFS is an excellent stadium to watch sport, the facilities behind the seats need a bit of sprucing up together with some additional capacity and a clear, plastic roof. Same for Parramatta Stadium, but no roof for the westies.

Over the last 30 years we've got four new stadiums in Sydney: Parramatta Stadium (completed in 1985), Concord Oval (1987), Sydney Football Stadium (1988) and Stadium Australia/Telstra Stadium/ANZ Stadium at Homebush (1999). All that taxpayer money spent on these citadels, which are now only 20 or so years later considered not good enough. Are we in the west so addicted to the bright and shiny we MUST have these new toys? The elephant in the room for sporting events in Sydney is the disappointing numbers of spectators. And the local pollies want to toss a measly $1.2 billion or whatever towards new stadiums. Baird et al, suggest something more modest and appropriate to our needs.

Invoice is on its way.

Corrected. SFS currently seats 45,000, the new stadium's proposed capacity is 50/55,000.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Well the building is taking place over the next 7-15 years Lindo, by which time many of these Stadiums are well past 30 and closing in on 40 years old.

I agree it seems over the top, but the money is there and the facilities are ageing. Parramatta is the only one in real need of a rebuild, especially considering the popularity of the Western Sydney Wanderers.

And I'm not sure the SFS redevelopment will effect public space, since it's being built on the same site as the current one.

T

TOCC

I'm a little bewildered, why is a 55'000 seat stadium needed at Moore Park in addition to a new upgraded rectangular ANZ stadium..

No sporting team in Sydney draws 55'000 during their season matches, the only time that such crowds are attracted is during the finals, and then surely any finals match will be shifted to a new and upgraded ANZ Stadium?

55'000 at Moore Park is simply to big IMO, this is a game of politics where the government is trying to appease individual electorates rather then what's actually good for the city.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Do you know what would be awesome?

If they decided that the new SCG/SFS stadium was in addition to the existing stadiums and in order to fit it in they had to demolish the Tibby Cotter Walkway.

There was an episode of Utopia that had some similar themes to this.

I guess when it comes to infrastructure, it's cheaper and easier to build a new stadium than something that is actually essential like a new rail line.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
55'000 at Moore Park is simply to big IMO, this is a game of politics where the government is trying to appease individual electorates rather then what's actually good for the city.

Redeveloping stadia was an election commitment, and I think they are mindful of spreading the love. It's not so much about appeasing electorates as it is major stakeholders- the NRL, AFL, FFA, ARU, as well as the stadiums themselves who are backed by heavy hitters.

Moore Park falls in between a few electorates- the ones to the East are solid Liberal seats and those to the immediate north, south and west are Labor/Independant and never going Liberal. So it's not really about electorates at all.

I think it comes down to the Government having quite a big war chest at the moment and needing to spend it on something.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
I'm a little bewildered, why is a 55'000 seat stadium needed at Moore Park in addition to a new upgraded rectangular ANZ stadium..
Be bewildered no more - Barbarian has summed it up accurately.
Redeveloping stadia was an election commitment, and I think they are mindful of spreading the love. It's not so much about appeasing electorates as it is major stakeholders- the NRL, AFL, FFA, ARU, as well as the stadiums themselves who are backed by heavy hitters.

Moore Park falls in between a few electorates- the ones to the East are solid Liberal seats and those to the immediate north, south and west are Labor/Independant and never going Liberal. So it's not really about electorates at all.

I think it comes down to the Government having quite a big war chest at the moment and needing to spend it on something.
Unless you were querying exactly who needed this.....

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I think they are also keen to redevelop the wider Moore Park precinct, and position it as the HQ of major sport in Sydney.

With the NRL based out there, the ARU moving there and the Swans, Roosters and Tahs calling it home there is a need for greater infrastructure to service each organisation, as well as high performance facilities.

pjm

Billy Sheehan (19)
Can't they just take the Suncorp Stadium blueprints and replicate it at Moore Park.

T

TOCC

It's not just the immediate electorates in vicinity of the stadium that it appeals to, it's the electorates of all those who prefer to go to a games at Moore Park rather then travelling west to ANZ Stadium.

Like I said, no team draws crowds of 55'000 out of finals series, what's the highest average crowd in Sydney? 25'000? Which blockbuster games will get played at the new stadium? A Super Rugby SF once every 10 years? An A-League GF perhaps? The NRL GF, State of Origin and Bledisloe Cup matches will remain at a newly developed ANZ Stadium.

Just because it was an election commitment and they currently have the money doesn't mean it's a good idea. Upgrade the stadium but don't expand its capacity beyond what's required.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
It's not just the immediate electorates in vicinity of the stadium that it appeals to, it's the electorates of all those who prefer to go to a games at Moore Park rather then travelling west to ANZ Stadium.

Like I said, no team draws crowds of 55'000 out of finals series, what's the highest average crowd in Sydney? 25'000? Which blockbuster games will get played at the new stadium? A Super Rugby SF once every 10 years? An A-League GF perhaps? The NRL GF, State of Origin and Bledisloe Cup matches will remain at a newly developed ANZ Stadium.

Just because it was an election commitment and they currently have the money doesn't mean it's a good idea. Upgrade the stadium but don't expand its capacity beyond what's required.

Agree wholeheartedly.
Outrageous waste of $$$.

Status
Not open for further replies.