• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I get this. 100%. But...
Players who aspire to Super Rugby and higher want to start, not ride the pine.

Au contraire:

Jeremy-Tilse.jpg

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Au contraire:

Jeremy-Tilse.jpg

Gee you Tah fans can be rough. Tilse has been a loyal clubman for years and gave service to the Stars. (I realise in Sydney its Shute Shield and damn the consequences, but the bloke has put in.)

I know nothing about Blades but reckon that would be my start point here. Its not just your scrum but the LO too.

Maybe if we morphed Tahs and Reds, god forbid, we'd have an awesome set piece in a team that actually new how to play rugby! Or of course a general cluelessness in all departments. On reflection, lets not go there.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
He's been copping an effing good wage for years to watch his mates play footy,and to be opposed opposition at training.
There's a fucking huuuuge line for that job,that's not loyalty.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Gee you Tah fans can be rough. Tilse has been a loyal clubman for years and gave service to the Stars. (I realise in Sydney its Shute Shield and damn the consequences, but the bloke has put in.)

I don't doubt Tilse is a paragon of hard work at training, and is trying his arse off to get a start.

We've watched good props walk out of NSW while he's been gathering splinters, while probably not being in the top 8 looseheads in the country. Top 10, perhaps.

I'll bet he is the premier tackle bag holder in the country, but that just isn't good enough.

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
What I might find ironic is that Tilse moves off shore and wows them in Europe and then the revisionist come in and we live in a parallel universe where it was underhanded treatment of Tilse holding back the Tahs.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
What I might find ironic is that Tilse moves off shore and wows them in Europe and then the revisionist come in and we live in a parallel universe where it was underhanded treatment of Tilse holding back the Tahs.

Before resigning last season season and in 2014. He was offered a deal to head overseas for much more money, he declined the offer to stay in the 'sky blue'. He will likely play his career out in NSW.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't doubt Tilse is a paragon of hard work at training, and is trying his arse off to get a start.

We've watched good props walk out of NSW while he's been gathering splinters, while probably not being in the top 8 looseheads in the country. Top 10, perhaps.

I'll bet he is the premier tackle bag holder in the country, but that just isn't good enough.

Have we lost the young talented props because we've had Tilse on the books or have we lost them because we've had Benn Robinson and Sekope Kepu as starting props for a long time?

We need to upgrade from Tilse now because Benn Robinson is well and truly in the twilight of his career and we need to promote someone to start ahead of him in the near future.

I tend to think we've lost players in the past because there was no reasonable opportunity to win a starting position, not that there wasn't opportunity to get a bench spot.

A big issue with having a strong and settled front row for a long time is the talented players below them have gone elsewhere looking for opportunity.

We probably need to thank TPN for being so injury prone because despite being an outstanding hooker for a long time he's also consistently provided opportunity for people below him and we've managed to build a pretty good stable of hookers.

Latu just needs to stand on a milk crate when he throws in the lineouts. So many of his throws end up too low.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I'm no expert on the intricacies of the front row, but Tilse always looks the wrong shape to be a prop, he looks like a number 8 to me.

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
I was thinking of Mumm prior to the World Cup how he was braining it in the UK. He left here as a square peg in a round hole. Not abrasive enough.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I was thinking of Mumm prior to the World Cup how he was braining it in the UK. He left here as a square peg in a round hole. Not abrasive enough.

More a case that he's finding his fitness levels over there were exemplary, while back here he's just a short lock.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
One thing Cheika wasn't afraid to do was drop big name players to the bench if they underperformed. It meant no-one had a mortgage on a jumper, and ensued everyone had a real crack every week.

I think it's time Gibson did the same. Palu, Skelton and Dennis have to be benched for Holloway, Lousi and Hanigan. Latu also needs to be looking over his shoulder at Roach, although I would keep him in the run-on side next week. And we can't get Benn Robbo back soon enough. This might seem radical, but you know what they say about continuing to do the same thing and expecting a different result.

I am not one of the Palu knockers (many of which frequent GAGR), however he is a big man in his thirties whose had an enormous number of injuries. I think Cliffy is now a 20 minutes impact at the end player.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Reposted from the match thread because it is probably more relevant here.

It is 100% correct that the Tahs have planned very poorly for the departure of Kepu and the tapering of Benn Robinson's career.

That seems to be the one glaring recruitment problem but I tend to think it is going to play out most this year and will improve from next year onwards.

I think Tom Robertson is going to figure more and more this season and looks like he could be a good player going forward.

I really like Matt Sandell but he is too small at the moment. He's a good rugby player though and hopefully he can put on a substantial amount of bulk without sacrificing too much mobility. His scrummaging skills seem good but he just isn't big enough at this point.

Cameron Orr looks like a really good young player and again I think he has the potential to be a strong long term option for the Tahs. Again, he's young and needs to bulk up and fill out some more.

I think it's time Gibson did the same. Palu, Skelton and Dennis have to be benched for Holloway, Lousi and Hanigan. Latu also needs to be looking over his shoulder at Roach, although I would keep him in the run-on side next week. And we can't get Benn Robbo back soon enough. This might seem radical, but you know what they say about continuing to do the same thing and expecting a different result.

I am not one of the Palu knockers (many of which frequent GAGR), however he is a big man in his thirties whose had an enormous number of injuries. I think Cliffy is now a 20 minutes impact at the end player.

I agree although I'd probably bench Mumm before Dennis.

Palu should potentially not be in the 23 for a couple of games. Some of the young guys are worth more of a run and clearly Holloway should be starting and playing a lot of minutes.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
The captain (no. 7) and vice captain (no. 6) are both in the back row. I know there are "leadership teams" in elite rugby squads, but the current official leaders must have similar optics on how the game is developing. Surely a VC needs to be in the backs if the Captain is in the forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.