• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Not quite sure how that works, but I think if Horne is at 12, the rest falls into place. Kellaway at the back, supported by Robinson and Clark.

Robertson is currently the Wallabies reserve LHP. I know hes being groomed for it so I hope he's ready by Feb. He'll be the starting LHP before too long in any case.

I thought Big T got better in defence as the 2015 season went on, yes he was terrible at the beginning but then again I can't trust my memory that far back. I noticed he was used like a crashball #8 in his short cameo for the Wallabies this year. The Rams used him that way too in 2014 and he's pretty devastating. Like Ioane but with an extra 30kgs. Looking at our back row I can't see us playing the muscle game any more without someone like him.

Pretty sure this year Folau defended at 15, Kellaway at 11 and Carraro or Horne at 13. That's what I meant by them switching in defence, I thought there was already a precedent there. Could be wrong.

Can't see them persisting with one play maker in Foley, its more 2013 than 2014 and doesn't work. Predicting Simone will have the starting 12 jersey by round 5.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
What about

Ryan
Latu
Kepu
Mumm
Skelton
Dempsey
Hooper
Holloway
Phipps
Foley
Robinson
Horne
Folau
Naiyaravoro
Kellaway

Fitzgerald Fitzpatrick
Ta'avao
Robertson
Toleafoa
Hanigan
Lucas
Horwitz
Simone

I read an article about Big Willie recently where he commented about physical fitness, weight and diet. Let's hope he's fixed all those things and can perform at his best. Read here: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...ry-setback-to-start-2016-20161027-gsc1sp.html

corrected

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Did Irae Simone just say that he's signed to the Waratahs for 2 seasons? That means he's not EPS right?
Yep was just listening to his acceptance of nrc player of the series speech where said 2 years

Also asked for his opinion of nrc which he responded likes the 6 points for a try with less boring penalties...seems he likes the new scoring system as enabled him to really showcase his skills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gowaratahs

Sydney Middleton (9)
What about

Ryan
Latu
Kepu
Mumm
Skelton
Dempsey
Hooper
Holloway
Phipps
Foley
Robinson
Horne
Folau
Naiyaravoro
Kellaway

Fitzgerald
Ta'avao
Robertson
Toleafoa
Hanigan
Lucas
Horwitz
Simone

I read an article about Big Willie recently where he commented about physical fitness, weight and diet. Let's hope he's fixed all those things and can perform at his best. Read here: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...ry-setback-to-start-2016-20161027-gsc1sp.html
Lindommer, you can't play the spelling sheriff on Neddy Hanigan's behalf if you're going to call our backup rake Fitzgerald ;)

Rather than name a round one starting side, I'm going to name my side that takes out the 2017 final - a squad that'll take time to mould though like in 2014 will fly home on the back of a golden run of wins.

Robertson (will grow into this role under Fatcat's tutelage)
Fitzpatrick (better throw and discipline than Latu)
Kepu
Skelton
Hanigan (to become new lineout caller)
Dempsey
Hooper
Holloway
Phipps (looking over his shoulder)
Foley
Horne
Simone (has to practice left-to-right pass)
Folau
Naiyaravoro (to do a heap of eighthman work each game)
Robinson

Ryan
Latu
Ta'Avao
Mumm/Power
Wells/Mumm
Gordon
Hegarty
Kellaway (has work to do in being an active rather than passive defender, and in the air)

Wells or Power get 24th man, Horwitz gets to watch from the stand and Toleafoa doesn't deserve anything as he was rubbish all NRC - anyone got stats on his form? This all sucks for quality players Roach and Lucas, though it'll be nice to have depth.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Lindommer, you can't play the spelling sheriff on Neddy Hanigan's behalf if you're going to call our backup rake Fitzgerald ;)

Rather than name a round one starting side, I'm going to name my side that takes out the 2017 final - a squad that'll take time to mould though like in 2014 will fly home on the back of a golden run of wins.

Robertson (will grow into this role under Fatcat's tutelage)
Fitzpatrick (better throw and discipline than Latu)
Kepu
Skelton
Hanigan (to become new lineout caller)
Dempsey
Hooper
Holloway
Phipps (looking over his shoulder)
Foley
Horne
Simone (has to practice left-to-right pass)
Folau
Naiyaravoro (to do a heap of eighthman work each game)
Robinson

Ryan
Latu
Ta'Avao
Mumm/Power
Wells/Mumm
Gordon
Hegarty
Kellaway (has work to do in being an active rather than passive defender, and in the air)

Wells or Power get 24th man, Horwitz gets to watch from the stand and Toleafoa doesn't deserve anything as he was rubbish all NRC - anyone got stats on his form? This all sucks for quality players Roach and Lucas, though it'll be nice to have depth.
Tahs should be pushing reds for top of oz conference this season with the squad they have

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Tahs should be pushing reds for top of oz conference this season with the squad they have

That will very much depend on whether certain players make as much improvement in 2017 as they did in 2016. Can Hanigan step up to become a first choice starter? Will Dempsey and Holloway discover second year syndrome? Can Simone take 12 from the other alternatives? Can Naiyaravoro play 60 minutes at 8 AND 11, leaving Holloway to scout wider? Will Kellaway throw off his NRC stagnation and start scoring tries again?

Yes the squad is impressive potentially. But there is only potential, QLD has got the runs on the board all over the park. Moore, Slipper, Simmons, Douglas, Higginbotham, SMITH, Cooper, Kerevi. With them as base, the Reds should win the conference and beat most of the NZ teams.

The Waratahs look to be very good odds to fight out the comp in 2018. 2017 might be a bridge too far. But if Gibson steps up and some of the younglings too, then anything is possible.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Ryan
Fitzpatrick
Robertson
Mumm
Hanigan
Dempsey
Hooper
Holloway
Phipps
Foley
Horne
Simone
Folau
Robinson
Kellaway

Ta'Avao
Latu
Kepu
Skelton/Power
Wells
Gordon
Hegarty
Horwitz

I would expect something like this.

We have 5 props and I would like to see some proper rotation

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Robertson is currently the Wallabies reserve LHP.

Tom Robertson is currently the best THP prospect in Australia.

Technically, the best I've seen since Ben Darwin was forced out with injury. Yes, he can play both sides of the scrum, but that doesn't mean he should.

We produce decent THPs at a fairly appalling rate, so I'd keep him there for a season and make sure everyone pays attention.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
What about

corrected

It really astonishes me that a professional athlete, especially one who by genetics is more likely to have to be careful about their weight/body shape, has only now realised that he has to be careful in managing what he eats. If it's a family issue, i.e. Mum wants to feed him up on the wrong foods, then get the family in for a discussion on the importance of it. At the end of the day, if the player and their family can't get on board then cut them loose - I recall Leroy Houston talking about the harsh reality he faced when doing physical work after he quit professional rugby and realised how good an opportunity he had walked away from. These teams all have dietitians working with them but the players eventually have to use their own intelligence to work out that maybe this is in their best interests.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
When he left School, he spent a few years changing his body shape.
Without doubt he was on a strictly controlled diet over a reasonable period of time.

There is no need to educate him or his family, they already know it.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
yeah when the black dog hits someone, education is forgotten

Very true. While I'm in a much better place today but for a while I wasn't. This lead to a large weight gain. It has and still is taking a lot of hard work to get back to something resembling my previous condition.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Very true. While I'm in a much better place today but for a while I wasn't. This lead to a large weight gain. It has and still is taking a lot of hard work to get back to something resembling my previous condition.

Oh shit yeah. I was trim as I've ever been then the old man died right around the time I moved house. Decided to take the summer off. Three years later, back over the ton, can't run 100m without a migraine, and all sorts of other shit going on.

Tough road back.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Tom Robertson is currently the best THP prospect in Australia.

Technically, the best I've seen since Ben Darwin was forced out with injury. Yes, he can play both sides of the scrum, but that doesn't mean he should.

We produce decent THPs at a fairly appalling rate, so I'd keep him there for a season and make sure everyone pays attention.

Personally if talking about prospects it's very hard to go past the Thor (as a prospect). Just needs a season to sharpen scrummaging and he will very quickly surpass Robertson. He is already a better runner of the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.