• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

There was also a comment from Gibson in an interview that he thought he had a roster to play a certain style at the start of the season, but quickly found out he was wrong and had to try to make adjustments "to be more pragmatic" during the season. (and that hadn't worked either)

Well, you will have to excuse him it was only his first season

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
There was also a comment from Gibson in an interview that he thought he had a roster to play a certain style at the start of the season, but quickly found out he was wrong and had to try to make adjustments "to be more pragmatic" during the season. (and that hadn't worked either)

he should be sacked immediately.
He's been there since 2012 and he doesn't know the limitations of his "roster".
No poster on here has any such problem.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Mate I thought they would have been better as well, I thought they would be inconsistent, but not crap

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
he should be sacked immediately.
He's been there since 2012 and he doesn't know the limitations of his "roster".
No poster on here has any such problem.

Just googled him to confirm because I COULDN'T believe that...but holy shit it's true...he's literally one of the longest continually serving coaches in one team currently in Australian rugby......but didn't know the limitations of the roster...which he has been there with as they have brought in and moved on players, and actually hands on coaching them.

W-TARED

Bob McCowan (2)
Hoiles and Mehrtens said something interesting about Gibson last night

Who is recruiting? Don't they talk? If Gibson dosn't know what he has got coming through, then surely the bloke who is recruiting would have to be the first to go!

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Guys, I think we're reading too much into a throw away Gibson line in an interview (one of MANY that he gives).
A throwaway line is "we were weak in d this year"
Or "we didn't play with enough intensity"

Saying that you had to make changes in game style mid year, because your roster didn't have the skills required to play to plan a,is not a throwaway line.
The clean out in roster, confirms this IMO.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Bear in mind he inherited a certain number of the roster when he took over as head coach in 2016. Players were contracted, so dumping those would have been problematic. This is not excusing the performance of the team - nothing does - but it's not like he got a clean slate to pick the squad he wanted when he started; he had to work with what he got to a degree. And anyone who thinks he had much input prior when assistant under Cheika is being a bit unrealistic - Cheika probably made most of the decisions.
But despite all that, the players he had should have been able to be moulded into a team that garnered better results than we have seen. Nothing less than a pretty miserable failure, really.

One eyed pirate

Ward Prentice (10)
Just googled him to confirm because I COULDN'T believe that.but holy shit it's true.he's literally one of the longest continually serving coaches in one team currently in Australian rugby..but didn't know the limitations of the roster.which he has been there with as they have brought in and moved on players, and actually hands on coaching them.
Agree, he should not be the head coach. Great player, wrong personality to be head coach.....according to someone who played with him. However, the question is, do all Australian coaches get a 'leave pass' this season because all Aust teams performed badly? I fear this is true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
Bear in mind he inherited a certain number of the roster when he took over as head coach in 2016. Players were contracted, so dumping those would have been problematic. This is not excusing the performance of the team - nothing does - but it's not like he got a clean slate to pick the squad he wanted when he started; he had to work with what he got to a degree. And anyone who thinks he had much input prior when assistant under Cheika is being a bit unrealistic - Cheika probably made most of the decisions.
But despite all that, the players he had should have been able to be moulded into a team that garnered better results than we have seen. Nothing less than a pretty miserable failure, really.

I'm sure most coaches would love to inherit a team like the 2015 Waratahs. They were semi-finalists and they won the premiership a year before.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'm sure most coaches would love to inherit a team like the 2015 Waratahs. They were semi-finalists and they won the premiership a year before.

The squad at the start of 2016 was not the same as 2015 or 2014. A few fairly key players not there. I didn't say it was a bad squad, I said it might not have been exactly what he wanted for the game he wanted to play. Still should have made more of it. So, I take your point.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
A throwaway line is "we were weak in d this year"
Or "we didn't play with enough intensity"

Saying that you had to make changes in game style mid year, because your roster didn't have the skills required to play to plan a,is not a throwaway line.
The clean out in roster, confirms this IMO.
So what's he saying?
Yeah I've been here for 5 years but Cheika had a lot of dud players I thought were capable of better and I played no role in their recruitment.
So it's Cheika's fault?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
^^^^^yeah, that seems to be a good summation.
Except the blame bit.
Seems like he's looking forward, and decided who needs to go.
Anything that promotes competition within, and dilutes complacency is a good thing I think.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Considering defence has been perhaps the most glaring failure this season I would put Grey right at the top of the list for "review" but he has already been promoted on the back of stellar performance.

I have argued that the Tahs have been flawed since 2015 when Douglas and Jackpot left and were not replaced adequately. Add in the recruitment of Taavao and you have a serious issue in the pack. The genesis of the squad problems were there in 2015.

That said all the chooks are coming home to roost for the Australian sides now, it is not some great coincidence that all 5 sides are rubbish.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Considering defence has been perhaps the most glaring failure this season I would put Grey right at the top of the list for "review" but he has already been promoted on the back of stellar performance.
Do you reckon this is one of those cases where Gibson has given Grey an outstanding reference for the new job, all the while thinking 'please let him become someone else's problem'.

Status
Not open for further replies.