• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Correct, and I understand that. We were obviously talking about the concept of free speech which is defined internationally as a human right (regardless of nation) by several organisations, rather than the American First Amendment.

I also understand that free speech in the sense you're talking about it only pertains to government limiting the speech of people, and not people limiting the speech of people.

If you can't tell, yes I am sick of pseudointellectuals on internet forums. What a stupid point to add.

'pseudointellectual'? I have a degree and everything!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Any chance for some rugby chat?
The Tahs have been very quiet, a distinct lack of promises and talking themselves up.

That is quite a change from the usual unrealistic PR machine promising that this is their year again.

Hopefully they are too physically tired for a couple more weeks as they get a serious fitness base in place

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
The Tahs have been very quiet, a distinct lack of promises and talking themselves up.

That is quite a change from the usual unrealistic PR machine promising that this is their year again.

Hopefully they are too physically tired for a couple more weeks as they get a serious fitness base in place

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

From the few videos/pictures online etc. the players are looking real lean. Hooper and Foley especially. I'd be interested to hear from people who know more about what has been going on with the S&C program. I know they went with a new provider this offseason but not much more.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
From the few videos/pictures online etc. the players are looking real lean. Hooper and Foley especially. I'd be interested to hear from people who know more about what has been going on with the S&C program. I know they went with a new provider this offseason but not much more.
I thought the Tahs issue wasn't that they weren't fit enough it was basically you were so far behind that by the time you woke up you couldn't catch the other team.. Just like the wobs at, the start of the season..

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
1. Kepu
2. Latu
3. Robertson
4. Simmons
5. Hanigan
6. Dempsey
7. Hooper
8. McCalman
9. Gordon
10. Foley
11. TQN
12. Beale
13. Rona
14. Newsome
15. Folau

16. Vui
17. Roach
18. Ryan
19. Staniforth
20. Holloway
21. Phipps
22. Mason
23. Kellaway / Foketi / Simone

At full strength, that's a pretty handy team IMO. No reason we shouldn't do well - especially if Cronn fires.

As always, I'm optimistic. We'll see where we are in 6 weeks.

So in my opinion after their respective seasons I think there is no way you start Hanigan, and there is no way you have Staniforth coming off the bench. Otherwise the team pretty much selects itself. My only other question mark / idea is that you could maybe play Folau on the Wing for Newsome and move Mason to 15.
1. Kepu
2. Latu
3. Robertson
4. Simmons
5. Staniforth
6. Dempsey
7. Hooper
8. McCalman
9. Gordon
10. Foley
11. TQN
12. Beale
13. Rona
14. Newsome
15. Folau

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Mason suggests they are much fitter than last year in a fox video today
https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby

Oh goody! I'd be much happier if I knew that their power output went up by 25% than whether their aerobic fitness is better this year. Last year we got knocked backwards into Tuesday every time we went into a collision. Our aerobic fitness was a second order issue.

As evidence, rewatch the first half of last year's Blues game.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hanigan had a strong Super Rugby season (particularly early in the season) and then played a bunch of tests.

Staniforth had a good NRC.

I think odds are on Hanigan starting over Staniforth.

I think Newsome is much better than Mason as an outside back (and being Super Rugby standard in general).

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
So in my opinion after their respective seasons I think there is no way you start Hanigan, and there is no way you have Staniforth coming off the bench. Otherwise the team pretty much selects itself. My only other question mark / idea is that you could maybe play Folau on the Wing for Newsome and move Mason to 15.
1. Kepu
2. Latu
3. Robertson
4. Simmons
5. Staniforth
6. Dempsey
7. Hooper
8. McCalman
9. Gordon
10. Foley
11. TQN
12. Beale
13. Rona
14. Newsome
15. Folau

Dempsey is due back mid-April. There's no point selecting him in a so-called ideal team when the comp will be half over when he comes back.

Kepu is the THP and is selected at 3, Robertson is the LHP and is selected at 1. Note: Kepu is available only after his suspension is complete.

Has the McCalman signing been announced? He's still not included in the squad on the Tahs site.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Robertson
Latu
Kepu
Simmons
Staniforth
Hanigan
Hooper
McCalman (or Holloway if he hasn't signed)
Phipps
Foley
Clarke
Beale
Rona
Newsome
Folau

Ryan
Roach
Vui
Wilkin
Holloway (or Wells)
Gordon
Mason
Nayavoro

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Hanigan to go to lock midway 2nd half and be subbed by a backrower.
Dempsey back mid-season to reclaim 6, Hanigan or Staniforth to go depending on form.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hanigan had a strong Super Rugby season (particularly early in the season) and then played a bunch of tests.

Staniforth had a good NRC.

I think odds are on Hanigan starting over Staniforth.

I just don’t see Hanigan as being an adequate lock.............

Shirley you’d leave him at 6 and then work out your best options when Dempsey returns?

Status
Not open for further replies.