• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

RubixCube

Frank Nicholson (4)
A few days out from start of the season and this thread has gone mighty cold!!! How is the confidence levels going into the stormers game? Any predictions on the starting 15?
I have seen Cron mentioned in a number of pieces/video (SMH piece on forward pack, Hooper complimenting him on his teaching approach, and Simmons on how he is learning to be a better player under cron) all have spoken very highly of the impact he has had so far (of course they are not gonna rubbish him) but get a feeling that if it all goes to shit in the first few weeks, he will take up the reins should Gibbo be canned and will make them a better/harder to beat team. Thoughts?

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Surely we can't have said all there is to be said :)

After watching the two warm ups, it will be interesting to see how we start off against the Stormers. I think we started poorly last year against SA and NZ opposition, that put the whole season on a down swing. Haven't watched the Stormers game yet, so don't know what to think there

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
I manage to wrangle up 10 mates for Saturday and weather should come to the party, the Tahs better win!

I think our back row is quite weak actually and the Stormers will target that otherwise I am hoping for a win, not by much though. As far as Cron goes I sincerely hope he does not take over the role too soon, we have a tendency to throw people into coaching roles before they are ready and the fans suffer for it.

RubixCube

Frank Nicholson (4)
I manage to wrangle up 10 mates for Saturday and weather should come to the party, the Tahs better win!

I think our back row is quite weak actually and the Stormers will target that otherwise I am hoping for a win, not by much though. As far as Cron goes I sincerely hope he does not take over the role too soon, we have a tendency to throw people into coaching roles before they are ready and the fans suffer for it.

Yeah I agree, but I do think Cron has runs on the board at Club MASSIVE SUCCESS/NRC /Oz20's (albeit not even a year) and fundamentally the concept of coaching is the same, having an ability to gett the players to buy into what you are selling and he clearly has that in spades.
I thought the LO against the Rebels was some of the worst I have seen in ages but you gotta hope that it was due to lack of sleep on Simmons part, surely cant be any worse this week.
Fitness has clearly been worked on, they ran the rebels off the park in the last qtr.
I look forward to the game on Sat and hope for a thumping win.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
My prediction on the matchday 23.

1. Robertson
2. Latu
3. Ryan
4. Simmons
5. Staniforth
6. Hanigan
7. Hooper
8. Holloway
9. Gordon
10. Foley
11. Newsome
12. Beale
13. Foketi
14. Rona
15. Folau

16. Roach 17. Vui 18. Johnson-Holmes 19. McCauley 20. Wells 21. Short 22. Hegarty 23. Naiyaravoro

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
All three of them were in the under 20s World Cup team last year.

Vui is probably the best of the three currently and got some Super Rugby experience last year but I think all three of them are promising.

It looks like McCauley has bulked up a bit which is good.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
Yeah I agree, but I do think Cron has runs on the board at Club MASSIVE SUCCESS/NRC /Oz20's (albeit not even a year) and fundamentally the concept of coaching is the same, having an ability to gett the players to buy into what you are selling and he clearly has that in spades.
I thought the LO against the Rebels was some of the worst I have seen in ages but you gotta hope that it was due to lack of sleep on Simmons part, surely cant be any worse this week.
Fitness has clearly been worked on, they ran the rebels off the park in the last qtr.
I look forward to the game on Sat and hope for a thumping win.

I agree about his credentials and hope he goes well I just feel that there are HUGE expectations when it comes to coach a super rugby side in Australia, as our teams have been pretty much s..t over the last few years any new coach is under scrutiny from the moment he takes over, the last thing we want is for him have a bad season and to decide to bugger off OS as part of his coaching developing path. We definitely don't enough to keep coaching talent in Australia

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think cyclo had it right, defense is the key, we scored tries last season, we just couldn't stop tries being scored

And that is down to Gibson, he has taken that job for himself

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think it will be a tight one, but im picking the Tahs, expecting something like 18-16.

As for team (very similar to Braveheart's)

1. Robertson
2. Latu
3. Ryan
4. Simmons
5. Staniforth
6. Hanigan
7. Hooper
8. Holloway
9. Gordon
10. Foley
11. Newsome
12. Beale
13. Rona
14. Foketi
15. Folau

T

TOCC

I think cyclo had it right, defense is the key, we scored tries last season, we just couldn't stop tries being scored

And that is down to Gibson, he has taken that job for himself

luckily the Tahs defence coach from 2017 was then poached to fill the the Wallabies defence coach role o_O

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Is Fitzpatrick definitely unavailable? If not I thought he would start at 2.
Also thought Mason might get the bench gig over Hegarty. Possibly not as versatile as Hegarty, but has really shone in the trials, and Beal's versatility allows you to shuffle players around in the event of an injury.
I assume you're right about Short getting the reserve 9 spot, but he's looked a bit out of his depth to me. Hope Gordon doesn't get injured early.

RubixCube

Frank Nicholson (4)
Is Fitzpatrick definitely unavailable? If not I thought he would start at 2.
Also thought Mason might get the bench gig over Hegarty. Possibly not as versatile as Hegarty, but has really shone in the trials, and Beal's versatility allows you to shuffle players around in the event of an injury.
I assume you're right about Short getting the reserve 9 spot, but he's looked a bit out of his depth to me. Hope Gordon doesn't get injured early.

Hegarty was very good when he came on against the Rebels, I think I would put Miller on the bench but agree with the team selections above.

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
Will Miller plays in the same position as the least likely guy to leave the field. *knock on wood* I'd be surprised if he gets much game time at all this year, despite his talent.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Depending on the makeup of the side I can see him getting a run at various points and the Tahs finishing the game with both Hooper and Miller on the field

I don't think it will happen in round 1 though.

RubixCube

Frank Nicholson (4)
Will Miller plays in the same position as the least likely guy to leave the field. *knock on wood* I'd be surprised if he gets much game time at all this year, despite his talent.

I think the Tahs have got to reduce Hoopers work load this year with it being a RWC year, he cannot be expected to do 80 minutes week in, week out. I would love to see his minutes from last year, did he ever leave the field for any other reason then injury/niggle/tahs 30+ up?? I can see Miller getting plenty of game time so that Hooper is relatively fresh come Japan.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think the Tahs have got to reduce Hoopers work load this year with it being a RWC year, he cannot be expected to do 80 minutes week in, week out. I would love to see his minutes from last year, did he ever leave the field for any other reason then injury/niggle/tahs 30+ up?? I can see Miller getting plenty of game time so that Hooper is relatively fresh come Japan.

Tis the Soccer world cup this year. Rugby is next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.