• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This is an exciting photo. Campo talking running lines (I am guessing) with the Tahs.

I've been fortunate to experience a Campo coaching session and I learnt more in that couple of hours than I have ever learnt in rugby coaching I reckon. And that was a volunteer session.

Say what you like about his tackling, spelling, opinions - the guy is a rugby genius and the more he can do with our players the better I reckon.

Tahs Campo.jpg

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Roets confirmed:

The NSW Waratahs second row will have a touch of international flavour after a young South African-born lock confirmed a move to Sydney today.

Promising 23-year-old lock Le Roux Roets has signed a one-year deal with the NSW Waratahs for the 2019 Super Rugby season.

In his short representative career, Roets has already rubbed shoulders with All Blacks star Dan Carter and Springboks first-five Johan Goosen when he was recruited by French Club Racing for the 2016/2017 academy season.

In South Africa, he played age grade rugby and in the domestic Currie Cup competition for the Lions, Bulls and Pumas.

NSW Waratahs Head Coach Daryl Gibson said Roets brings size and skill to the forwards.

“We first noticed his talent in the Currie Cup and we have been searching for a big, aggressive and physical player who can get us going forward and excels in the set piece,” Gibson said.

“At 135kg, Le Roux fits the profile that we have been wanting to add to our squad. His recruitment will add real competition and depth amongst our current lock options in Rob Simmons, Tom Staniforth, Ryan McCauley and Jed Holloway,” Gibson added.

Roets said he was buoyed by the opportunity to play for the 2018 Super Rugby semi-finalists.

“My goal was to be selected for a Super Rugby team and to have the chance to play for the NSW Waratahs is amazing. This is a team that has won a championship title and in watching them play in 2018, I cannot wait to be part of them doing even better this year,” Roets said.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
The Waratahs are yet to announce their full 2019 Super Rugby squad, with Karmichael Hunt and Adam Ashley-Cooper likely to be in the final mix.

IN: Rory O'Connor, Le Roux Roets, John Folau, Karmichael Hunt (TBC)

OUT: Paddy Ryan, Matt Sandell, Kalivate Tawake, Hugh Roach, Kelly Meafua, Brad Wilkin, Mick Snowden (short-term), Irae Simone, Andrew Kellaway, Taqele Naiyaravoro

Props

Angus Bell, Harry Johnson-Holmes, Sekope Kepu, Rory O'Connor, Tom Robertson, Shambeckler Vui, Cody Walker

Hookers

Damien Fitzpatrick, Tolu Latu

Locks

Ned Hanigan, Ryan McCauley, Le Roux Roets, Rob Simmons, Tom Staniforth

Loose Forwards

Jack Dempsey, Will Harris, Michael Hooper, Will Miller, Lachie Swinton, Michael Wells, Jed Holloway

Halfbacks

Jake Gordon, Nick Phipps

Flyhalves

Bernard Foley, Mack Mason, Will Harrison (EPS)

Centres

Kurtley Beale, Lalakai Foketi, Karmichael Hunt (TBC),

Outside backs

Cam Clark, Alex Newsome, John Folau, Curtis Rona, Israel Folau

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Roets confirmed:

The NSW Waratahs second row will have a touch of international flavour after a young South African-born lock confirmed a move to Sydney today.

Promising 23-year-old lock Le Roux Roets has signed a one-year deal with the NSW Waratahs for the 2019 Super Rugby season.

In his short representative career, Roets has already rubbed shoulders with All Blacks star Dan Carter and Springboks first-five Johan Goosen when he was recruited by French Club Racing for the 2016/2017 academy season.

In South Africa, he played age grade rugby and in the domestic Currie Cup competition for the Lions, Bulls and Pumas.

NSW Waratahs Head Coach Daryl Gibson said Roets brings size and skill to the forwards.

“We first noticed his talent in the Currie Cup and we have been searching for a big, aggressive and physical player who can get us going forward and excels in the set piece,” Gibson said.

“At 135kg, Le Roux fits the profile that we have been wanting to add to our squad. His recruitment will add real competition and depth amongst our current lock options in Rob Simmons, Tom Staniforth, Ryan McCauley and Jed Holloway,” Gibson added.

Roets said he was buoyed by the opportunity to play for the 2018 Super Rugby semi-finalists.

“My goal was to be selected for a Super Rugby team and to have the chance to play for the NSW Waratahs is amazing. This is a team that has won a championship title and in watching them play in 2018, I cannot wait to be part of them doing even better this year,” Roets said.

Finally some size. Hope he goes well

pissedoffihavetoregister

Bill Watson (15)
The Waratahs are yet to announce their full 2019 Super Rugby squad, with Karmichael Hunt and Adam Ashley-Cooper likely to be in the final mix.

IN: Rory O'Connor, Le Roux Roets, John Folau, Karmichael Hunt (TBC)

OUT: Paddy Ryan, Matt Sandell, Kalivate Tawake, Hugh Roach, Kelly Meafua, Brad Wilkin, Mick Snowden (short-term), Irae Simone, Andrew Kellaway, Taqele Naiyaravoro

Props

Angus Bell, Harry Johnson-Holmes, Sekope Kepu, Rory O'Connor, Tom Robertson, Shambeckler Vui, Cody Walker

Hookers

Damien Fitzpatrick, Tolu Latu

Locks

Ned Hanigan, Ryan McCauley, Le Roux Roets, Rob Simmons, Tom Staniforth

Loose Forwards

Jack Dempsey, Will Harris, Michael Hooper, Will Miller, Lachie Swinton, Michael Wells, Jed Holloway

Halfbacks

Jake Gordon, Nick Phipps

Flyhalves

Bernard Foley, Mack Mason, Will Harrison (EPS)

Centres

Kurtley Beale, Lalakai Foketi, Karmichael Hunt (TBC),

Outside backs

Cam Clark, Alex Newsome, John Folau, Curtis Rona, Israel Folau

That's 4 new guys and we lost 10. Are we lining up to play 13 a side this year?

Jimmyjam

Watty Friend (18)
Be interesting to see how the big fella goes.... call me cynical, but I recall the tahs going down this path not that long ago with old mate Hendrik 'Dud' Roodt.

Anyway, on the assumption that we will also be confirming the acquisition of K Hunt + AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), the backline looks pretty solid with some real quality, issue being the when key guys are rested/injured the depth is a bit thin in the o/s backs. Still don't see the 15 tries scored by by Big T being replaced, but adding in AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and K Hunt we will probably only need to find 5 more as the defence will be a LOT stiffer!!

The first starting backline will be very interesting with most of them being able to play multiple positions at a high level. My backline would look something like this...

15. Beale
14. Rona
13. Folau
12. K Hunt
11. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
10. Foley
9. Gordon

I also don't mind the look of this back 5 configuration

15. Folau
14. Rona
13. K Hunt
12. Beale

Or even

15. Beale
14. Folau
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
12. K Hunt
11. Rona

With Mason, Foketi, Clark and Newsome fighting for the bench spots. If the forwards can get a bit more punch in A and D we could have an even better 2019

Losing Robertson was a big blow, Slipper would have been a great acquisition under the circumstances..

Back-row looks better with JD back to fitness

Starting pack to look something like this

Kepu
Latu
HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)
Simmons
Holloway /MacAuley
Hanigan
Hooper
Dempsey

Still looking a bit light for my liking, however if the big Saffa unit fires, then that changes the game.... Shifts Holloway to the backrow with Hanigan to the bench and who knows......

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Be interesting to see how the big fella goes.. call me cynical, but I recall the tahs going down this path not that long ago with old mate Hendrik 'Dud' Roodt.

Anyway, on the assumption that we will also be confirming the acquisition of K Hunt + AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), the backline looks pretty solid with some real quality, issue being the when key guys are rested/injured the depth is a bit thin in the o/s backs. Still don't see the 15 tries scored by by Big T being replaced, but adding in AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and K Hunt we will probably only need to find 5 more as the defence will be a LOT stiffer!!

The first starting backline will be very interesting with most of them being able to play multiple positions at a high level. My backline would look something like this.

15. Beale
14. Rona
13. Folau
12. K Hunt
10. Foley
9. Gordon

I also don't mind the look of this back 5 configuration

15. Folau
14. Rona
13. K Hunt
12. Beale

Or even

15. Beale
14. Folau
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
12. K Hunt
11. Rona

With Mason, Foketi, Clark and Newsome fighting for the bench spots. If the forwards can get a bit more punch in A and D we could have an even better 2019

Losing Robertson was a big blow, Slipper would have been a great acquisition under the circumstances..

Back-row looks better with JD back to fitness

Starting pack to look something like this

Kepu
Latu
HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)
Simmons
Holloway /MacAuley
Hanigan
Hooper
Dempsey

Still looking a bit light for my liking, however if the big Saffa unit fires, then that changes the game.. Shifts Holloway to the backrow with Hanigan to the bench and who knows..
I like the second option for the backs (assuming KHunt and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) sign). The pack looks about right. Good to have a Miller and Wells around that could put Ned in lock if needed. Depth at prop without Robertson seems biggest concern to me, but Tahs not alone in this regard

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
jeez im worried about our forward pack.

Kepu - getting on in age and will probably get rested at various stages for WC

Latu - Penalty magnet

HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) - untested

Simmons - Is Simmons, nuff said

Hollway - Hit and miss

Hanigan - See Simmons

Hooper - Great player but part of a v small backrow, will need to do more hard yards in tight

Dempsey - Coming back from injury, should come good but again part of a small backrow

Very light and missing players that can get them over the gain line with ball in hand. Need to have a very good gameplan and the ability to stick to it if they are going to go well this year.

Jimmyjam

Watty Friend (18)
In a perfect world we would just need to add a Lukhan T or clone, return Big Taquele N into the squad and with Tom Robertson fully fit they could be serious title contenders.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
"Their flexibility would potentially allow Gibson to rest some of his big-name backs including Bernard Foley, Kurtley Beale and Israel Folau, all of whom play big minutes."

No. Their flexibility might make it easier to rest the big-name backs, but rested they will be regardless, according to the new found co-operative partnerships between the Wallabies and the Super Rugby sides.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
"Their flexibility would potentially allow Gibson to rest some of his big-name backs including Bernard Foley, Kurtley Beale and Israel Folau, all of whom play big minutes."

No. Their flexibility might make it easier to rest the big-name backs, but rested they will be regardless, according to the new found co-operative partnerships between the Wallabies and the Super Rugby sides.

Semantics. Re-word it as enabling a continued on field quality while resting Wallabies. Same-same.

Edit: apologies for the auto-text doofus. Corrected.

Status
Not open for further replies.