• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2020

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Walton plays a simple, direct and low-frills kind of rugby. He’s been relatively successful throughout the age groups by running some smart lines and using his (relative) size to get over the advantage line on most occasions to generate quick ruck ball. He’s quite skilled and has a good short passing game but not sure if it’s enough to ever stand out at this level.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Walton and Harris were a bit hard done by on Saturday. I thought they played OK against a fired-up Force team who played 60 really good minutes.

Hunt and Dempsey then came on and looked sensational against some very tired legs.

I generally think Hunt and Dempsey should be starting, but if you switched their roles last night I think we'd be on here saying how good Harris and Walton looked late in the game.

B

Bobby Sands

Apologies, I stand corrected, he wasn't one of the U20s players from last year. He was in the NSW Country NRC team though last year, at the age of 19. SO he must have caught someone's eye that's for sure.

I know he has wraps, it’s only that I (or seemingly anyone on here) can’t see what they are???

B

Bobby Sands

Walton was ok in the A games, Tepai was clearly better. I cant see Penney's aversion to playing him. We need a hard hitting strong runner in midfield. Tepai's upside is much greater.

I really want to see the man play!! Maybe he doesn’t have the ball skills for Penney’s game style?

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Walton hits the ball up nice and straight, and makes his tackles, but from what I've sen that's about it. I would certainly rather see Hunt starting there.
I think we need Staniforth to start, if only for a bit more grunt in the scrums. Ned has been pretty underwhelming, although I think he was second to Hooper in tackles, so he does get through some work. Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) worries me on the wing, his defence is really poor. On a positive, I thought Donaldson looked very composed in his limited time on the paddock.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Apologies, I stand corrected, he wasn't one of the U20s players from last year. He was in the NSW Country NRC team though last year, at the age of 19. SO he must have caught someone's eye that's for sure.

Yeah, I think he was in the Australian U18's and (just checked) also the U20's last year.

If Tepai isn't getting game time even with the centre shortage, it means the coaches don't think he's good enough to even risk putting on the field. The SMH says he's close to being cut from the squad.

As I keep saying, coaches don't choose to not play players if there isn't a reason for it. I'd be curious to have a little more insight as to the story around Tepai. I thought he was 'ok' in some of the Waratah A games. Maybe he'll turn out to be Penney's Le Roux Roets.

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
As I keep saying, coaches don't choose to not play players if there isn't a reason for it. I'd be curious to have a little more insight as to the story around Tepai. I thought he was 'ok' in some of the Waratah A games. Maybe he'll turn out to be Penney's Le Roux Roets.

Oof. Forgot about that guy. Tepai Moeroa isn't able to prove himself in Shute Shield like Roets could have but didn't at all.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Moeroa is on an expensive contract which covers next year. Can they afford to cut him? Plus, Penney didn't hire him, so he wouldn't be 'his' Le Roux.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Moeroa is on an expensive contract which covers next year. Can they afford to cut him? Plus, Penney didn't hire him, so he wouldn't be 'his' Le Roux.

Appreciate that HQ were involved and the deal for Moeroa likely started before Penney, but Penny was signed on as the new coach before the Moeroa deal was announced at the end of last year so I doubt he had zero input / say.

Anyway it was just a little tongue in cheek, I'm as curious as any as to what is going on with Moeroa after the hope that we'd have our own Hunter Paisami style player.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Tried going onto ticketek to try and buys tahs vs brumbies tickets - but not clear all tickets gone but equally can only view prices but not select tickets to purchase.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Tried going onto ticketek to try and buys tahs vs brumbies tickets - but not clear all tickets gone but equally can only view prices but not select tickets to purchase.

Tickets for the Force game were allocated to members through an expression of interest - I haven't seen the same request for the Brumbies game yet. So they still need to request interest from members, and allocate those tickets, before they go to Ticketek for the general public.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Does anyone know what happened to Jed Holloway? There was a rumour he was cut from the side but nothing else.

Him and Clark and a few others who have been mentioned as let go/leaving are still listed on the Team page: https://nsw.rugby/teams/nsw-waratahs

Mason is the only one who seems to have been removed.

As Jimmy said he's not playing in the SS so not sure what his deal is.

I miss those 'A' games. I'd be curious what's happening with players likes Gamble, Tizzano, Tafa etc...

I wonder how Gordon and Foketi are going with their recovery too.

... is McCauley still floating around too?

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Nick Malouf training with the Tahs from the 7s team. Played wing several times for Leicester when in the UK