• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2020

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
I understand Souths have been paying for his schooling, I respect his loyalty.

And after listening to Sam Burgess on House of Rugby, he is in the great hands of Wayne Bennett, good luck to the guy

Pretty fair in that case, I had assumed King’s had just given him a rugby scholarship

As a Newington boy, it always seemed to us that Tepai wanted to stay with Union but went to league repay his debt to the eels for his schooling, which I think says a lot about both their characters

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The offer talked about was fake. His true value would of had him down the pecking order

I think what RA could actually offer was more about what money couldn't buy.

A chance to go to the Olympics and root yourself around the world on the 7s circuit while he grew up

Instead, he will be training at Heffron Park and having weekends away to Townsville

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
What developing locks spot is he taking?

Of the recent Australian U20 teams, which developing locks don't have/had contracts? Some of those with development contracts at each franchise didn't even make the Aus u20 team or only just finished u18.
Reds: Hockings, Blyth, Wood
Brumbies: Swain, Frost, Hooper
Tahs: Douglas, Williams
Rebels: Hosea, Haangana
Force: Pugh, Grant

I guess whoever is next up in the NSW/Junior Wallabies pathway. Didn't have anybody in mind particularly, just think it's not the worst thing if an incredibly loyal servant who is eligible wherever he is in the world has his wages paid by a NH Club and we can continue to develop next man up.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I guess whoever is next up in the NSW/Junior Wallabies pathway. Didn't have anybody in mind particularly, just think it's not the worst thing if an incredibly loyal servant who is eligible wherever he is in the world has his wages paid by a NH Club and we can continue to develop next man up.

But there's Thrush, Murray Douglas, and Koegelenberg who aren't Wallaby eligible then McCauley, Staniforth, Ha'angana and probably others who are never likely to be Wallabies taking up contracts currently.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Pretty fair in that case, I had assumed King’s had just given him a rugby scholarship

As a Newington boy, it always seemed to us that Tepai wanted to stay with Union but went to league repay his debt to the eels for his schooling, which I think says a lot about both their characters

It says way more about the character of the schools involved to allow that situation in the first place and use it to their own unfair advantage. (stinky bait for some)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It says way more about the character of the schools involved to allow that situation in the first place and use it to their own unfair advantage. (stinky bait for some)

Risking getting into a quasi sporting scholarships argument here but why is it a bad thing for a private school to accept a kid whose fees are being by a third party rather than the standard situation where they're paid by parents/grand parents?

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
Risking getting into a quasi sporting scholarships argument here but why is it a bad thing for a private school to accept a kid whose fees are being by a third party rather than the standard situation where they're paid by parents/grand parents?

Im not sure how true it is that the club was paying for his fees. Sua'ali'i was at Kings before he was at the rabbits. It may have changed in later years.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)

Waratahs already have 2 U20 locks on the books, so given that, you're still happy for the Waratahs ONLY decent lock, the captain, still only 31 years old to leave, so you can what...promote a schoolboy?

My point is there is nobody next. Tahs already stacked with 19 and 20 yr old forwards. A ridiculous amount of them for a PROFESSIONAL contact sport team, mostly in the positions where size and experience counts the most. Whilst their friends are at Uni learning to become professionals, we are expecting players who only a short time ago were children, so play against the biggest and baddest professional rugby players on the planet, and expecting results?

The Waratahs are not a feeder team, not a development team - they are the GOAL.

B

Bobby Sands

So we lose Rodda (sook) and Hockings (no words), and immediately Frost, and Hosea popup ready to fill the void.

This new crop of young ones is very well rounded.

Reactions: dru

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)

Imagine Private Schools denying entry to kids (many of them being POC) from low socio-economic backgrounds into their schools solely because someone else was paying their fees

that would go down super well........

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
Quite the contrary - here is a known quantity who is eligible for the Wallabies under the current deal and is taking a spot in a side which could go to a developing lock, a position we definitely need to build competition for spots in.

To me, sounds an absolute win-win

It is best for the Wallabies long term that the tahs develop another lock, it is not in the best interests of the Waratahs to lose Simmons next year

There is no Win at this point in time for the Waratahs if they lose Simmons

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)

Nothing Quasi about it, its a legit sporting scholarship - if he wasn't good at sport he wouldn't be getting his fees paid.

As for the second part, was he enrolled at birth?, when was he enrolled?, was he on a waiting list? Did he gain enrollment over another boy that was on a waiting list because of his sporting ability?

Iam guessing the school activity facilitated an enrollment most likely at very short notice, Because of his sporting ability and maybe because they knew his fees were being paid.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
Private schools don't run at absolute capacity, they have a set number of places for full paying students, then have a separate number of spaces for scholarships kids of varying types, whether that be low-socio economic, leadership, sport, music, indigenous etc

So no he would not have taken the place of anyone on a waiting list

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Nothing Quasi about it, its a legit sporting scholarship - if he wasn't good at sport he wouldn't be getting his fees paid.

As for the second part, was he enrolled at birth?, when was he enrolled?, was he on a waiting list? Did he gain enrollment over another boy that was on a waiting list because of his sporting ability?

Iam guessing the school activity facilitated an enrollment most likely at very short notice, Because of his sporting ability and maybe because they knew his fees were being paid.

I think he meant that the argument was quasi, not the scholarship.

There isn't a waiting list as such at Kings, not like it's North Shore cousin where you have to be enrolled within 5 minutes of being born. Kings will pretty much take anyone who is willing to pay, in some instances they may have to board rather than be a day boy. It's not that they wouldn't have a limit on the number of students, but it's huge and if they had to put on more staff they would and could facilitate that.

Plus what sendit said ^^

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Simmons linked to London Irish for next season

I'm curious who the London Irish connection is that seems to have turned us into a feeder club for them? Shame there is no global transfer market.

If this is the best option for Simmons, goodluck to him. I can't say on the face of it that this looks to be a great outcome for the Tahs at this point if it turns out to be true.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
With the players mentioned who would people keep?
Who would you let go?

For the ones mentioned

For me to stay:
Harrison - starting fly half
Donaldson - utility back
Harris - 6/8 still maturing
Ramm- Starting winger who can play fullback and has really kicked on this year
Tafa - Young hard running forward
Tom Horton - really has been playing well and will work well with Porecki
Mitch short - I like his energy and has been playing fairly well. Maybe One more year

Go:
Staniforth - Really offers little
Hunt - Only good for 30 minutes or so and if Goodwin signs on then not needed
Clark - Never picked
Tuala- Leap frogged

Unsure:
McCauley - Average player but not many locks around and still young
Gamble - Liked what I saw of him at Tahs A but for some reason not picked for main game
Robertson - Might get screamed at but he is good at the scrum but lacks impact across the park and is too light
Dempsey- Has been average this year and really looks like he is afraid to get hurt.
Jack Maddocks- Liked what I saw of him when he first played fullback but then went backwards and looked a bit unsure.
Hanigan - Can play 6 or lock but I really don't rate him as a strong forward.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
With the players mentioned who would people keep?
Who would you let go?

For the ones mentioned

For me to stay:
Harrison - starting fly half
Donaldson - utility back
Harris - 6/8 still maturing
Ramm- Starting winger who can play fullback and has really kicked on this year
Tafa - Young hard running forward
Tom Horton - really has been playing well and will work well with Porecki
Mitch short - I like his energy and has been playing fairly well. Maybe One more year

Go:
Staniforth - Really offers little
Hunt - Only good for 30 minutes or so and if Goodwin signs on then not needed
Clark - Never picked
Tuala- Leap frogged

Unsure:
McCauley - Average player but not many locks around and still young
Gamble - Liked what I saw of him at Tahs A but for some reason not picked for main game
Robertson - Might get screamed at but he is good at the scrum but lacks impact across the park and is too light
Dempsey- Has been average this year and really looks like he is afraid to get hurt.
Jack Maddocks- Liked what I saw of him when he first played fullback but then went backwards and looked a bit unsure.
Hanigan - Can play 6 or lock but I really don't rate him as a strong forward.
WTF is the deal with this guy:
Moeroa