• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2020

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I haven't seen Morea play rugby (or even league) so I can't pick him. I am, on the flip side, super impressed by the development of Foketi's game.

While originally I would have wanted Beale at 15 (as a rugby fan - not in a schadenfreude way) the Maddocks signing changes that and is a ripper. So I reckon the backline I would pick is

15 Maddockse
14 Nawaganitawasee
13 Foketie
12 Hunte
11 Clarke
10 Bealee
9 Gordone

is Beale the only goalkicker in that lot?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I haven't seen Morea play rugby (or even league) so I can't pick him. I am, on the flip side, super impressed by the development of Foketi's game.

While originally I would have wanted Beale at 15 (as a rugby fan - not in a schadenfreude way) the Maddocks signing changes that and is a ripper. So I reckon the backline I would pick is

15 Maddocks
14 Nawaganitawase
13 Foketi
12 Hunt
11 Clarke
10 Beale
9 Gordon

Cam Clark. Son of Greg Clark. No e on the end.

Beale is the only recognised goal kicker out of that bunch. I think Cam Clark is reasonable but probably hasn't done much goal kicking for a long time.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I would say Morea has to start. The Waratahs forwards are solid but I wouldn’t say many are known for explosive running.

Morea could help create some momentum like Kerevi did for the reds.

Yeah, I see Morea at 12 & Hunt at 13 with Foteki super subbing

That way Beale can be protected in defense and he has two units with the ability crash ball when needed to get across the ad line (something they need)

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Gordon, Beale (yuck), Newsome, Hunt, Foketi, Clark, Maddocks.

McDonald, Moeroa, Nawaqanitawase.

Hunt to cover 10.

Depth: Mason, Donaldson, Harrison, Short, Ramm, Walton.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Foketi really upped his game for the Tahs last year when he was shifted to 12. Do Tahs fans think this is because he's better suited there, or that it only worked because of other factors (e.g. Foley at 10, Gibson as coach, etc.)?

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)

15 Maddockse

14 Nawaganitawasee

13 Foketie

12 Hunte

11 Clarke

10 Bealee

9 Gordone

Maddocks used to kick at Easts (at least in Colts) and was pretty good from memory

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Beale's kicking is akin to Quade, he's a confidence guy and giving him an easy one at the start helps him get into the rhythm. I reckon Pass it to Dunning is right. You see it with Nic White as well: 90% goal kicking when the other kickers were out of the Brumbies side, then relegated to long range and it dropped to less than 60%.

Alex Ross (28)
How long was his Rebels contract? May have just bought that out and didn’t have the extra money rn to cover multiple years

At a guess, contracts alignment with RA contracts. Does Maddocks have an RA contract and as such that drove the 1 year term?

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Re the "wider training squad".
I assume they play with on Saturdays during the season, but usually aren't part of the Tahs match day 23.
Do they go to club rugby?

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Re the "wider training squad".
I assume they play with on Saturdays during the season, but usually aren't part of the Tahs match day 23.
Do they go to club rugby?
Yes. They train with main squad then play for clubs on the weekend. All players not in the game day 23 play for clubs unless injured or being rested

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Tahs getting in a bit of preseason kicking coaching with a French legend.

EN44SNHVUAAw_TK