• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2021

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Gentlemen, please!

The Shute Shield won us TWO Rugby World Cups in case you'd forgotten.

Fear not - there will be a cavalcade of current and former players ready to save the Tahs and deliver these lowly Waikatites (Waikatans? Waikatoans?) a sound thrashing because Premier Rugby is the soul of power and goodness in this world.

lol.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Gentlemen, please!

The Shute Shield won us TWO Rugby World Cups in case you'd forgotten.

Fear not - there will be a cavalcade of current and former players ready to save the Tahs and deliver these lowly Waikatites (Waikatans? Waikatoans?) a sound thrashing because Premier Rugby is the soul of power and goodness in this world.

lol.

I was about to say queue the "surprise" call up from Sydney Uni etc

Alex Ross (28)

Alex Ross (28)
Sounds like bullshit to me.

But, if RA gave Moeroa a top up that would be fairly insane.

Top up or not when they signed him. He is off contract at the end of the season. To say Rugby Australia is tipping in 6 figures to get him off the books is laughable.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I read Moeroa was on over 500k so would require RA pitch in

In regards to now, he is under contract until the end of the year, so it is not surpirsing at all that the eels would pay him what they can/want and RA keep paying the difference.

Moeroa gets what he signed for and in a place that wants him, and RA/Tahs still save money overall.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
It never ends well for ex-league players in union and I wish some of the half wits running our game would realise this.

Unless they are going to play back three and not bring character issues to the game they will be over paid given they lack the extra skills required in Union over League. (Brad Thorn the exception.)

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
It never ends well for ex-league players in union and I wish some of the half wits running our game would realise this.

Unless they are going to play back three and not bring character issues to the game they will be over paid given they lack the extra skills required in Union over League. (Brad Thorn the exception.)
In fairness was schoolboy rugby pedigree so union not exactly foreign to him. Just was not super rugby quality...in comparison look at Wright who was school boy rugby player but went to league and now back in union and likely wallaby debut against France beckoning.

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
In fairness was schoolboy rugby pedigree so union not exactly foreign to him. Just was not super rugby quality.in comparison look at Wright who was school boy rugby player but went to league and now back in union and likely wallaby debut against France beckoning.

Wright was also playing on the wing. All you need is to catch the ball and put it over the tryline.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I read Moeroa was on over 500k so would require RA pitch in

In regards to now, he is under contract until the end of the year, so it is not surpirsing at all that the eels would pay him what they can/want and RA keep paying the difference.

Moeroa gets what he signed for and in a place that wants him, and RA/Tahs still save money overall.

500k for a league flop. Damn man. I wish i was on rugby failure money.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
For one thing, Wright has a lot more skills than just catching the ball and putting it over the line, he's a very complete player.
More generally, I don't think the 'signing league players is always doomed to fail' argument stacks up. Yes, there have been some momentous failures (Moeroa certainly one) but I would suggest there have been plenty of successes too. Mat Rogers, Lote Tuqiri, Isi Folau before he went all homophobic, and plenty more.