• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2021

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
I wonder if the LA Giltinis will become the next pathway for player drain in Sydney, ala London Irish and some of the Japanese links that seem to have formed.

Or else the Austin Gilgronis - same owner all OZ connections.

1 coached by Darren Coleman the other by Mark Gerrard

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Yep the lateness of signings is a concern - to be a fly on the wall - meanwhile the force have recruited half of the Jaguars to become the western Jaguars (ie tahs could have done with a few jags)

Tahs aren't allowed to sign too many foreign imports. We don't have the exemptions to do so.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think if there were any year the rules on imports were malleable, it would be next year.

But i don’t think Tahs could have afforded them anyway, more so then other teams budgetary restraints seem to be a real issue for the Waratahs in 2021.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
I think if there were any year the rules on imports were malleable, it would be next year.

But i don’t think could have afforded them anyway, more so then other teams budgetary restraints seem to be a real issue for the Waratahs in 2021.

'We should help Argentina out': Why Hamish McLennan wants Argentinian Pumas to star for Australian Super Rugby sides (smh.com.au)

Head office determine potential signings on a case-by-case basis. The Force are afforded the most leniency when applying to have foreign players feature in their Super Rugby squad, followed by the Brumbies and Rebels.
Traditional heartland states NSW and Queensland are not afforded the same luxury.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Understand that’s what the article says, but there’s been examples of in the past where it doesn’t appear to be a hard and fast rule and open to flexibility, this year Scott Maloula at the Reds was a Samoan capped halfback and David Feao was a capped Tongan test player.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Understand that’s what the article says, but there’s been examples of in the past where it doesn’t appear to be a hard and fast rule and open to flexibility, this year Scott Maloula at the Reds was a Samoan capped halfback and David Feao was a capped Tongan test player.

Then the reds got permission.

Tahs have bought foreign players before but usually one. The Tahs have to seek approval for any more.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Then the reds got permission.

Tahs have bought foreign players before but usually one. The Tahs have to seek approval for any more.

Yes mate, my point was exemptions are allowed and if RA were going to be flexible on the Tahs signing a Puma or two then next year would likely be the year they’re most open to the idea.

But I don’t think flexibility on exemptions is the issue, rather it’s a financial issue.

Reactions: dru

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Yes mate, my point was exemptions are allowed and if RA were going to be flexible on the Tahs signing a Puma or two then next year would likely be the year they’re most open to the idea.

But I don’t think flexibility on exemptions is the issue, rather it’s a financial issue.

I think Caird is our foreign player.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
So we are not far away from feb trial games yet Waratahs don’t have a full squad - am I missing something but don’t you need players to play rugby games

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
So we are not far away from feb trial games yet Waratahs don’t have a full squad - am I missing something but don’t you need players to play rugby games
Yeah I’d be concerned too. The players who were available are off O/S or signed with the Force or Rebels. There’s slim pickings. A couple of players who we haven’t heard announcements from the Reds are CFS and Sean Farrell, Tom Kibble, Michael Wood, David Feao and Jack Hardy. A few injury prone but would take a gamble on CFS

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)

I don't think that it's just the Waratahs as none of the SQAu squads appear final.

RA have announced the fixtures for SRAu and the TT x-over comp mid-year.

Has anyone heard any more about the finalisation of the participation agreement between RA and the SRAu franchises??
Until this is set there is no certainty about the $$s actually being distributed to the franchises and hence no ability to finalise player payments for 2021.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yeah I’d be concerned too. The players who were available are off O/S or signed with the Force or Rebels. There’s slim pickings. A couple of players who we haven’t heard announcements from the Reds are CFS and Sean Farrell, Tom Kibble, Michael Wood, David Feao and Jack Hardy. A few injury prone but would take a gamble on CFS
You would have to resign cfs to my mind - thinking he might be looking at other options for more guaranteed starting spot - force I would have thought would at least have a look at cfs as when not be injured been very good for the reds

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
So who knows if this lot provide some hope

2021 Pre-season training squad members:

Sio Tatola – Manly Marlins
Laurence Tominiko – Southern Districts
Michael Icely – Eastwood
Brooklyn Hardaker – Randwick
Nathan Russel – Northern Suburbs
Max Burey – Northern Suburbs