• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2021

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Agreed. Fluid interstate travel restrictions aside, there are more months in the year when the NSW Waratahs are not playing, than when they are. As Chairman, you should pick one of those times.

He could go during club finals time as he doesn't seem to care about them. Tasmania in September would be delightful.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
How is it relevant though? It's the grand final. It happens once a season.

It's like pointing to the Marlins vs Rats local derby and saying look how many people attend Shute Shield games.

Clearly Waratahs crowds are struggling badly (as is every Australian team really).
Wasn’t saying it was relevant, just responding to a petty point about the number being inflated by the playing of lower grades that day.

whilst the local Derby is the biggest crowd, the Rats regularly drew larger crowds (pre Covid-19) against the better teams than the Tahs will be drawing this year.

and NO ONE is struggling like the Tahs....

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
If the NSWRU corporate structure is written along the same lines as RA’s the the Chairman is a lot more than a figurehead and chair of meetings.

McLennan has been quoted saying that RA’s corporate governance needs to be rewritten due to the overriding power it places on the Chairman . Apparently something that Twiggy was very happy to hear from him recently.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
I guess it's easy to say to chuck the cheque book at him, but I don't think there's money squirreled away. They're just plain broke, and crowds like last Friday won't help:)

Sad isn't it.

I think the Tahs are paying Dempsey a fair bit so there is money there. Problem is Penney will try to find another Mitre 10 player to buy

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Another thing to note on playing at Parramatta is if you play a late game and your demographic isn’t right there, you can’t expect families or casual fans to watch the game live.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Another thing to note on playing at Parramatta is if you play a late game and your demographic isn’t right there, you can’t expect families or casual fans to watch the game live.

That and it's pretty established many fans from east of the ANZAC Bridge/North of the Harbour don't like to travel west.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
People seem to be conflating relocating the Tahs to Parramatta with the suggestion of a new, stand alone franchise in the West.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
WCR:
Understood, but if you’re key demographic is in the north and the east and they’re interested in bums on seats and fan engagement, maybe schedule times where you’re not getting home way past your kids (and possibly your own) bed time. That is if crowds and game day (evening?) experience are even that important to these organisations. These teams all have to provide live content when the TV paymasters say so.
It’s a pity as it’s a wonderful facility to watch games at. Every seat is good, food/drink isn’t exorbitant, if a roar goes up from the crowd while you’re on the way to or at the bar you can pop over to one of the viewing decks and not really miss anything.

Alex Ross (28)
I don’t expect to see Maddocks at the Tahs next year either. There should be plenty of money to throw at Rodda.

That and unless Moeroa sets the world on fire over the next few games he should not get a renewal. Or at least one in line with his actual value.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I don’t expect to see Maddocks at the Tahs next year either. There should be plenty of money to throw at Rodda.

That and unless Moeroa sets the world on fire over the next few games he should not get a renewal. Or at least one in line with his actual value.
Why do you think Maddocks will leave? He just returned.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)

I'd definitely go to an arvo game at Parramatta. Night time is another story, I drove out last year to watch Waves warm up game and it was a nightmare getting there and back. An arvo though, you're not time constrained, can have a quiet beer after the game and mosey on down to the station for a fast train back to central in time for dinner somewhere.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Yeah I’m not so sure. Hopefully we have bottomed out, 2023 is a World Cup year and while that in itself may not be a huge carrot, 2 years after we are hosting a Lions tour and 2 years after that we are hopefully hosting a World Cup. While I can’t speak for specific players, debt funding has taken this into account and whispers are there that the private equity route is hotting up for super rugby. This is potentially a very exciting time for Aussie rugby, I’m certain the player drain will lighten off and definitely in the period leading up to the Lions tour we will see important players start to return. The odd NRL player might be summonsed back as well.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
So the ‘high performance team’ is meeting at Waratah HQ. I have always wondered what exactly is a high performance team nobody has ever been able to explain it to me and what they do. It is an invention (or added overhead) of the last 20 years, so how did teams become successful in days before they had high performance teams?

Also it mentions that Roger Davis will consider his position at the end of the year. That is utter arrogance he has go and go now safe in the knowledge that he has left NSW Rugby in worse position than when he arrived.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...eighs-up-penney-s-future-20210309-p5796r.html

Top Bottom