• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2022

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
FP I think you might be a bit hard on Bell. He got worked over by Tupou, but that aside most of the grief I saw with the Tahs pack has been on the tight head side. Unfortunately, I don't believe switching HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) has worked.

I think HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) needed to beef up a bit to move to TH.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
FP I think you might be a bit hard on Bell. He got worked over by Tupou, but that aside most of the grief I saw with the Tahs pack has been on the tight head side. Unfortunately, I don't believe switching HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) has worked.
It should be remembered that Kepu played a few years as a LHP in gold before switching sides. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) has been thrown in at the deep end early in his career because of inept recruitment. He played a test at LHP and was establishing himself in the front row when he gets told he’s the THP. Pretty ordinary treatment of a good player.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It should be remembered that Kepu played a few years as a LHP in gold before switching sides. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) has been thrown in at the deep end early in his career because of inept recruitment. He played a test at LHP and was establishing himself in the front row when he gets told he’s the THP. Pretty ordinary treatment of a good player.

He was predominantly a THP before that though.

He'd absolutely be going better at LHP than THP but likewise it's just part of the reality of where the team is at.

I think a substantial amount of it is the overall weakness of the Waratahs scrum which has been the case for a number of years. If we can beef up our locks a bit, get a bit more experience into Bell and Horton and just a bit more time together as a squad, the scrum should improve.

I think THP is a key recruitment area for the Tahs but I also don't think there are necessarily that many THPs better than HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) in Australia. He's obviously a long way behind Tupou and AAA but I'd back him to join the Rebels scrum for example with little or no observable difference in its strength for example.

I think HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)'s future is just to get better at THP because that's where his starting position lies. I can't imagine he thinks his career path is to become a reserve LHP and that would be better for him.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
He was predominantly a THP before that though.

He'd absolutely be going better at LHP than THP but likewise it's just part of the reality of where the team is at.

I think a substantial amount of it is the overall weakness of the Waratahs scrum which has been the case for a number of years. If we can beef up our locks a bit, get a bit more experience into Bell and Horton and just a bit more time together as a squad, the scrum should improve.

I think THP is a key recruitment area for the Tahs but I also don't think there are necessarily that many THPs better than HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) in Australia. He's obviously a long way behind Tupou and AAA but I'd back him to join the Rebels scrum for example with little or no observable difference in its strength for example.

I think HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)'s future is just to get better at THP because that's where his starting position lies. I can't imagine he thinks his career path is to become a reserve LHP and that would be better for him.
You’re probably right. But like I said Kepu was a LHP for the Wallabies for a few seasons before switching sides. He has been shunted there too early in my opinion.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You’re probably right. But like I said Kepu was a LHP for the Wallabies for a few seasons before switching sides. He has been shunted there too early in my opinion.

It's partly where the opportunity lies though. Kepu was the backup prop at the Waratahs because he had Robinson and Al Baxter ahead of him. Both test players at that time.

Kepu played three tests in 2008 and 2009 off the bench before not getting selected again until 2011. He then became the starting LHP because Benn Robinson did his knee and missed the RWC.

In 2012 Kepu started getting starting tests at THP but was largely a bench player. This was the first year of two reserve props and Kepu was just a THP prop by that time.

Kepu became the regular starter at the end of 2013 when Ben Alexander fell out of favour.

It would clearly be great for the Tahs to recruit a THP that is a better player than HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) because he isn't amazing there yet. It would improve the side. I tend to think HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) is either going to remain the starter or become a bench player though if that happens. Bell has a higher ceiling in my view.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Is he? Where has he been playing? The last I saw of him was the 2014 final. Now THAT was a game. Remember when we won the comp? What a night. That first 15 minutes is still burned into my memory as some of the best rugby I've seen. Bernard Foley throwing long balls to Kurtley, kicking over Nadolo, the straightening run to score by AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Cliff Palu belting blokes. Mmmm great stuff.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
A handy 23 on the bench.

Yes and given short of quality wingers as been playing European pro rugby - wonder if he is still up to scratch - easy fix now to find out given all shute shield games televised so will have to watch West harbour game to see....

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Alofa Alofa got sacked by Bayonne for behavioural issues at the end of 2020.

I'd have behavioural issues too if I played on the end of the greatest backline in Super Rugby history, and reached the dizzying highs of the 2014 Super Rugby title. Nothing would compare to that feeling, so you'd spend your life chasing it, just to feel that thrill one more time.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It will be interesting to see how he goes in the Shute Shield but based on his last stint at Bayonne he is well past his prime.

His first couple of years overseas at La Rochelle were really good. He then had a solid few years at Harlequins.

His 2014 was amazing. He came from nowhere in the preseason to secure a spot in the starting team and was excellent. I still clearly remember him scooping up a loose pass in the opening minutes on the semi-final against the Brumbies and racing away to score.

He also finished off a brilliant team try in the preseason trial against the Blues. It's the last try in the video.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Coleman shapes as leading candidate for Waratahs job (smh.com.au)

Former Wallabies coach John Connolly and Australian sevens coach John Manenti are applying for the role, while Waratahs co-coach Jason Gilmore has spoken about his desire to take the head coach job. Former Sydney Uni coach Rob Taylor was also in the mix but looks set to join Michael Cheika at NEC in Japan.
The other NSW co-coach, Chris Whitaker, brushed aside a question regarding his interest in the role when quizzed on Tuesday.
We’d like to have the coach on board and starting in September,” NSW Rugby boss Paul Doorn told the Herald earlier this month. “We’d like to know who that head coach is well before that.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
Maddocks could be off to Pau in France.

Considering we're definitely saying goodbye to Dempsey, likely Moroea and now Maddocks we'll soon be $2m under the bloody cap with possibly more to go.... If we can't afford a couple of stars now we never will!! We should also say farewell to the 2 kiwi's - Whetton and Caird plus Faulkner and Wykes.

We do have Hooper, Hanigan and Rabhoni WV coming back home but there should still be a large bit of room under the cap for 3 or 4 more high profile recruits..

Maybe we're now in the ballpark to pick up a couple of top notch international Oz players that are currently o/s like Kerevi, Arnold or Skelton plus a gun tight head from anywhere and even a Tolu Latu???? They'd all qualify for a wallaby top up as well you'd think..

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
Maddocks would be a big loss. Sure, he hasn't really been playing that well lately, but there's not a lot of great outside backs up for grabs. He's a real confidence player, so in a good side Maddocks would be very valuable.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Maddocks recently paid BIG Bucks for a new home in the eastern suburbs. Might be a sign that he's staying, but he's also got to pay for that some how.