• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2022

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
They've said he's a backrower in their media release, but then tweeted a clip of him playing 12 for the Sunwolves...

It is Japanese rugby.

giphy.gif

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It seems clear that he's coming home because his eligibility got reset in Japan (did he come home during COVID?). He'd have to do another 5 years now in Japan to be eligible.

Solid depth signing. We just can't be paying him like an elite player because arguably he just adds depth to our backrow rather than obviously improving it.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
RWV is an absolute weapon. Great signing by the 'Tahs. He was instrumental in my fantasy team back then, very damaging. I reckon could give Wallabies a fair shake.

Also, Angus Chrichton has forgone a longer contract extension and opted for a 1 year extension instead. Reckon he'll show up at the 'Tahs for RWC23?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
RWV is an absolute weapon. Great signing by the 'Tahs. He was instrumental in my fantasy team back then, very damaging. I reckon could give Wallabies a fair shake.

Also, Angus Chrichton has forgone a longer contract extension and opted for a 1 year extension instead. Reckon he'll show up at the 'Tahs for RWC23?

Reckon that will be enough time to reacclimate to the game before France? I mean. I'll welcome his return. Just hope that if it happens he can make the transition as seamlessly as possible.

As for RWV I remember watching him play for the Sunwolves and thinking 'how the hell did we let this bloke get away?'. And then being resigned to losing him to Japan. But getting him back will be good. Looks like a really dynamic runner. Wonder what his passing/kicking game is like. If he cannot break into the squad via the forwards he's quick enough to play 12. And to be frank cannot be any worse the Morea. Man, I wish Morea proved a better signing than he has.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
They've said he's a backrower in their media release, but then tweeted a clip of him playing 12 for the Sunwolves...

I remember his 1st game at 12 - it was a revelation. However a subsequent game I believe was not so good. They were far better served with Little at 12.

However could be Skeltonesque and be moving that way, though I think moreso he will be the Tahs Pete Samu.

With Hanigan, Swinton and Harris, someone either starting or off the bench needs some go forward.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Always good to know that these fringe players are willing to return to Aus for less money too. We'd be boned if Japan was an easier place to acclimatise to.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Always good to know that these fringe players are willing to return to Aus for less money too. We'd be boned if Japan was an easier place to acclimatise to.
Looks to like good signing. We complained about lack of tahs depth and to me this at the minimum gives more depth for bench etc given Dempsey going and looks like replacing the latter with similar quality so what is not to like.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
It seems clear that he's coming home because his eligibility got reset in Japan (did he come home during COVID?). He'd have to do another 5 years now in Japan to be eligible.

Solid depth signing. We just can't be paying him like an elite player because arguably he just adds depth to our backrow rather than obviously improving it.
Dempsey would be on good coin and who he is effectively replacing and looks to me offers as much as Dempsey and Dempsey would be on good coin.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Doubt Harris will move positions but some other players might be moved on. With Hooper, Hanigan and Warren-Vosayaco coming in and Dempsey already on his way out. You'd expect to see Gamble and Sinclair not re-signed (both off contract).

Sinclair I think been quite good this season and covers 6 and lock and probably on not much coin so probably good squad cover.

Alex Ross (28)
Interesting that they are announcing it as signing with Waratahs and Rugby Australia. Some help from the National body to fund his return? I did like what I saw of him at the Sunwolves.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Interesting that they are announcing it as signing with Waratahs and Rugby Australia. Some help from the National body to fund his return? I did like what I saw of him at the Sunwolves.
Yeh read it again - says signed with Tahs AND Rugby Australia so looks like top up money from the latter?

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)

The definition of stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome. Leaguies unless they are wing or fullback can’t make it in union. Forward skill set is much broader in Union, halves and centres league players are too bulky and game management is different. They can succeed at wing and fullback but will come with a limited or non existent kicking game.

Enough of the league players.