• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2022

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I’m happy to let Marky develop at 15 and see how Pietsch goes for 11. Breen didn’t disgrace himself as a reserve TH. But another wouldn’t hurt. Hooper and Hanigan will make a huge difference. As will a fit Walton. I’d love a Mr dependable at the back three and a bruiser TH lock to give Douglas more time to develop. Though perhaps he will come back next year wiser and bigger. He seemed to love the conflict.

I like all those players but the Tahs need to push some of these guys out of the best 23 if we want to become a decent team.

Good players need to miss out, not just passable players making the 23 and even the starting XV.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
As it stands, we have three good playmakers. If maddocks leaves we’re better off playing Harrison and Donaldson at 10 and 15. We also keep Edmed in the mix as a bench option and to keep the other two performing

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) isn't just a weak defender, he is a complete non-tackler. As he stands, I don't want him in the squad, let alone run-on. I recognise his other qualities, and would welcome him back if he learns to tackle. We have seen this year how important defence is, and specifically what a liability poor defence is. There is no room in a side (at any level really) for someone who won't have a crack in defence.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
watched him in the Oceania 7's and he seems a bit like the Quade Cooper of outside backs, he has some real talent and plays a pretty high risk game, just doesn't like contact and can make expensive mistakes.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
He was almost freakish at U20s level. He’d do well from a stint in Europe if it comes down to it, but give him another year or two here first.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Sorry but "talented" as to what? he can catch the ball

You’ve clearly got some grudge against him that surely must be more than just missed tackles. Did it cost you some dollars on Sportsbet? Your statement is completely ignorant. He is a wonderfully skilled player. Has shown it in the 7s. Even made some good one on one tackles. His big shortcoming in 7s so far is his decision making - he tends to try to do it all himself rather than reset and set up team mates. That’s normal for 15s players.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
I don’t think he’s particularly talented at all, I think he’s genetically gifted and has average rugby abilities

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
You’ve clearly got some grudge against him that surely must be more than just missed tackles. Did it cost you some dollars on Sportsbet? Your statement is completely ignorant. He is a wonderfully skilled player. Has shown it in the 7s. Even made some good one on one tackles. His big shortcoming in 7s so far is his decision making - he tends to try to do it all himself rather than reset and set up team mates. That’s normal for 15s players.
Part of his poor defence has been also poor decision making and marking up in defence. I thought he was ok in sevens and indeed may as we have discussed may be better scene for him to develop.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don’t think he’s particularly talented at all, I think he’s genetically gifted and has average rugby abilities

Aren't they two sides of the same coin?

His ball skills are excellent. His aerial ability in particular is a strength.

His big weaknesses at this stage are defence and decision making. In 2020 in particular he threw too many speculative offloads because he never wanted to die with the ball. This improved a bit in 2021. Undoubtedly he has excellent offloading ability, he just has to pick his moments better.

His defence is bad. It needs a lot of work. He wasn't alone there for the Waratahs this season.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
Aren't they two sides of the same coin?

His ball skills are excellent. His aerial ability in particular is a strength.

His big weaknesses at this stage are defence and decision making. In 2020 in particular he threw too many speculative offloads because he never wanted to die with the ball. This improved a bit in 2021. Undoubtedly he has excellent offloading ability, he just has to pick his moments better.

His defence is bad. It needs a lot of work. He wasn't alone there for the Waratahs this season.

Not really. His aerial skill comes from his height and body build not from anything else. I’d challenge his ball skills aren’t actually that great either, anyone can throw speculater passes and get some to land

Same as I’d say big T was never particularly talented, a very valuable asset yes, but not particularly talented

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Jack Maddocks is taller than Mark Nawaqanitawase but far inferior under a high ball.

You make it sound like Israel Folau was only good in the air because he was tall and none of it was skill related.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
He is only 20 years old and a highly talented player, I'm not about to write him off just yet

Not writing him off - but its not a good comparison - Quade was a wallaby same year he was U20.

Quade was wayyyyyyyyy more skilled then Mark

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
Jack Maddocks is taller than Mark Nawaqanitawase but far inferior under a high ball.

You make it sound like Israel Folau was only good in the air because he was tall and none of it was skill related.

Meaning Maddocks isn’t very talented aerially either

So you think what Folau did in the air is comparable to what Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) can do?

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Meaning Maddocks isn’t very talented aerially either

So you think what Folau did in the air is comparable to what Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) can do?

Playing a broken record, but Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) is just the type of player who needs the NRC - he's a standout at Shute Shield level (and U20s), but trying to learn defence and decision-making at Super Rugby level is just rough.

It's ludicrous to suggest he shouldn't be in the squad, if the system was working properly, he'd be getting plenty of time at NRC level, and time off the bench for the Tahs to understand what happens at the next level.