• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2023

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
In my view there aren't a lot of signings required so I wouldn't be expecting much.

A starting TH lock seems unlikely to me because I can't think of anyone available who would push out the lightweight locks we currently have. Max Douglas is the guy to develop there.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Douglas is 22 now and still a beanpole. He needs at least 10kgs more weight to be a viable starting TH lock.

We really can't go into next year with Hanigan, Holloway and Sinclair all playing lock again. Look at the Chiefs quarterfinal loss, we got physically dominated in the collisions. Think we also need a better LH prop than Faulkner.

Last edited:

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Douglas is 22 now and still a beanpole. He needs at least 10kgs more weight to be a viable starting TH lock.

We really can't go into next year with Hanigan, Holloway and Sinclair all playing lock again. Look at the Chiefs quarterfinal loss, we got physically dominated in the collisions in the end.
Wouldn't be surprised if the tahs were looking at the NPC for a player or two, it worked fairly well for them with Cridge

Yeah, I liked Cridge but ultimately he became the backup behind smaller, better locks.

My point is I can't see us finding someone to sign who starts ahead of Holloway and Hanigan so anyone we sign there is likely to be a backup or development option.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Regular starter for London Irish and lineout leader. But not good enough for the Tahs?

Beggars can’t be choosers. He would have a lot to add still.
He isn’t popular Simmons… but he has played a lot for his country …

Reactions: dru

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
He is a prime example of a lock who goes to ground at the slightest contact. Rodda is another. just don't make any impact with their carries, and I reckon you could count on one hand the number of linebreaks they have made in their careers. Rob also traded on his lineout calling, but we no longer have an issue with our locks at lineout time.

No place for either of them anymore around the Wallabies. Waratahs business if they want to sign Simmons, but just spare the rest of us from his very ordinariness.

Alex Ross (28)
He isn’t popular Simmons… but he has played a lot for his country …
I’ve never understood the criticism. Not a world player of the year by any measure. But a very reliable lock with all the fundamental skills. And a significant boost in the lock position over Douglas who as much as I like, is a year or two away at least.

Alex Ross (28)
He is a prime example of a lock who goes to ground at the slightest contact. Rodda is another. just don't make any impact with their carries, and I reckon you could count on one hand the number of linebreaks they have made in their careers. Rob also traded on his lineout calling, but we no longer have an issue with our locks at lineout time.

No place for either of them anymore around the Wallabies. Waratahs business if they want to sign Simmons, but just spare the rest of us from his very ordinariness.
Pretty sure this is the Waratahs thread…..

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Probably not what we need but certainly wouldn't be bad.

Coleman would be a good get. I don't rate him at international level but would probably be perfect for the Tahs.

No way Skelton comes home. Career best form and is rolling in cash up north.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

You’ve obviously worked out how to set alarms on this platform BR, so you can chime in at any mention of Simmons/Foley/Phipps/Folau/Hooper/Beale/Cheika.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
KOB, unlike some here I like to keep tabs on all Aus Super Rugby sides. From time to time I feel obliged to interject when the discussion seems to be going astray. The thought of one Rob Simmons being in any way a solution to the Tahs second row issues really makes me squirm. I accept that an international LH lock would be a tremendous get for the Tahs but I don't think RS will give you that missing link.

I live in fear then that the vocal Tahs fans will be instrumental in bringing him back into the Wallabies fold.

Holloway and Hanigan would be my pick for your starting locks with Sinclair (?) as backup.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
KOB, unlike some here I like to keep tabs on all Aus Super Rugby sides. From time to time I feel obliged to interject when the discussion seems to be going astray. The thought of one Rob Simmons being in any way a solution to the Tahs second row issues really makes me squirm. I accept that an international LH lock would be a tremendous get for the Tahs but I don't think RS will give you that missing link.

I live in fear then that the vocal Tahs fans will be instrumental in bringing him back into the Wallabies fold.

Holloway and Hanigan would be my pick for your starting locks with Sinclair (?) as backup.
I’m actually surprised you picked Waratahs players