• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2024

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
The results weren't there, but you have to respect DC's approach to the whole thing. From his press conference this week, per the Roar:

"I think it’s important to have a strong emotional connection to your job.

"For me this is more than a job, it becomes all encompassing and sometimes unfortunately to the detriment of other things in your life. But at the moment I’m feeling six strong emotions and I reckon if I go through them it will help probably answer most of your questions as well. I’m appreciative, I’m very appreciative to the organisation for giving me the opportunity of being head coach of this great state.

"I appreciate that the board enabled me to finish the season when results weren’t great and invested in me with a mid-year review to improve my game. Unfortunately this season the results didn’t match the endeavour of everyone involved. I’m thankful, I’m really thankful, for all the friendships I’ve made in my time here and some great memories.

"The staff and players I’ve met and worked with in this three-year period, many I’ll call friends for life. I’m also thankful I get to move on to another organisation, project and start that mateship process with a new bunch of friends again. I’m sorry and I’m embarrassed.

"I couldn’t progress the good work and the on-field results of my year one here to further success with the team. I feel especially bad I couldn’t deliver for all the passionate and loyal Tahs fans and supporters. The ones that jump on and off from time to time and prefer to be negative, I’m not so sad to see the back end of them.

"But I generally understand how important this team’s success is to NSW Rugby and I’m sad I couldn’t contribute more to the growth of the game through our team’s on-field performances. I’m frustrated. I feel this year could have turned out a lot different with a bit of luck at crucial times around our front row injuries and that run of four games early in the season.

"I feel some success in those or a result or two may have seen a different season unfold.

"I’m proud. I’m really proud of what happened in year one and the positives we built at Leichhardt.

"I’m proud I did my best to stay in the fight under tricky circumstances at times and with mounting pressure. I didn’t quit.

"I’m more resilient because of it. It doesn’t mean what you guys write sometimes doesn’t hurt, but I’m definitely more resilient and more thick-skinned off the back of it. But I’m genuinely proud that I stuck it out and went to the end.

"And lastly, I’m motivated. I’m motivated to reflect, learn and improve from this experience and to continue to enjoy the fruits of this great sport. I already can’t wait to take what I’ve learned from this gig and rip into my next project.

"The dreamer in me would love to come back one day. Whenever. Ten years down the track and have another shot at it as a better coach.
I want to finish well here. We’re sitting in a horrible position on the ladder, which I want to rectify.

"I want to win our last two games and get up a few spots on that ladder and have all the staff and players that are here leave with a smile on their face and on a positive note after what’s been a disappointing season."

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
DC is gone, just announced by Doorn. Cheika, Gilmore and Raiwalui are in the running and Grey (hopefully not) is also in the mix.

I would like to see Gilmore get the gig but any coach must have the ability to jump over very high hurdles to get anything out of these guys.
Why Gilmore? He was good at U20 in QLD, but struggled and dropped as an assistant after given a chance. Then did good at Aus u20 but is now an assistant in a struggling squad. Surely we need to see the Waratahs attack do well before we give him MORE control.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Why Gilmore? He was good at U20 in QLD, but struggled and dropped as an assistant after given a chance. Then did good at Aus u20 but is now an assistant in a struggling squad. Surely we need to see the Waratahs attack do well before we give him MORE control.
Pretty sure Gilmore is in charge of defence

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Yep, his primary focus was meant to be defence. 9/13 games this season have conceded 25+

Lowest score held was the Blues to 12 but of course the Tahs only scored 10.

The attack has looked busted all year and too basic. I don't know how you can realistically hire someone from the current team and expect a turn around.

Homer

Larry Dwyer (12)
I dont see how a culture could change if you kept 3/4 of the coaching team.
However, it will be tough enough to find one quality coach to take over let alone a top notch attack coach and forwards coach.
The Australians put forward are not up to scratch, Grey is unconvincing at best and had one of the worst defence plans in world rugby when working with Cheika. Hoiles has done nothing yet.

Someone has to come in and rebuild the whole joint and that would need a huge CV behind them.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I guess the benefit of the current Super Rugby format is you can be very average and make the finals. A coach has the ability to potentially build some momentum by taking a team to a final from the spoon with only 2,3 more wins than this year. It could also build a false sense of ability in those 5-8 spots that really seem to just be making up the numbers come finals time.

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
Who runs the ig account?
Screenshot-20240526-224419-Instagram.jpg

Should we celebrate the meat pie try of the week meanwhile we are the worst team in the competition? lol

Agent

Alfred Walker (16)
Share a throwback or something like that

And forget about the $$$ the sponsor has outlayed to an organisation that are in a shambles and really need all the help they can get. The Tahs can't live in the past - they need to face their current situation and look to the future. An IG post highlighting a pretty handy try can only be a positive in dark time. I'm a rusted on rugby supporter and Tahs supporters need all the positives we can get because it is getting harder to watch every week. There was optimism around the Tahs at the start of this season - I certainly can't believe how things have turned out.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I haven't watched the last two Tahs games, because I've had other things on. Earlier in the season I was all over watching the replay, the last two weeks not so much. Knowing me, I'm still going to put myself through the pain.

Raytah

Herbert Moran (7)
I haven't watched the last two Tahs games, because I've had other things on. Earlier in the season I was all over watching the replay, the last two weeks not so much. Knowing me, I'm still going to put myself through the pain.
Dont do it. Replay was painful.

Clinging to this for hope:

Bell
Porecki
Tupou
Amotosero
Salakai-Loto
Leota
Gamble
Gleeson
Wilson
Gordon
Kellaway
Foketi
Suali'i
Vaihu
Jorgenson

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Did we ever get a call on Porecki? He must of done everything but fully tear it to miss a full year.

Slack-Smith missing a full year due to concussion is pretty concerning as well. Although gives him the best long term chance I guess.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I'm in two minds about it.

It's concerning if he is still having any issues from it and would lead to a lot of questions about his future as he will have other head contact.

Have the Tahs made a call mid year to just shut him down and take the absolute conservative route and have him fully recovered? Big call for professionals as you are just losing a squad member.

Hope he's alright though

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
You guys need players. Get the Rebels front row, Tupou & Talakai with Bell would be immense. Get Uelese/Mafi as a back up.

Canham would be very useful as would Leota to replace Hanigan/Swinton.

Gordon obviously. Already got Kellaway.

Agent

Alfred Walker (16)
You guys need players. Get the Rebels front row, Tupou & Talakai with Bell would be immense. Get Uelese/Mafi as a back up.

Canham would be very useful as would Leota to replace Hanigan/Swinton.

Gordon obviously. Already got Kellaway.

All those players would be fantastic but they probably want to know who they will be coached by before they make too many big decisions.