• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2024

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I tend to think they should go through them after 15-20 mins with fitness. The Aus U20s have put 50+ on Aus Barbarians sides which are full of 1st graders.

I'm struggling to see how the Tahs are going to score 2+ tries a game.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Ok, got to say these results are a little uninspiring. What was the format, a half against each SS team like they've done in the past? Are there any team lists for who was running out for Warringah and Manly?

It would be great to hear from someone who got to watch as to what they saw (who performed well or not).

Really, a professionally trained squad should be doing better than this against a semi-professional teams.

It's really starting to feel that way.

Rats Team - and sorry couldn't find a Manly team published anywhere

1708385567937.jpeg

Last edited:

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I tend to think they should go through them after 15-20 mins with fitness. The Aus U20s have put 50+ on Aus Barbarians sides which are full of 1st graders.

You have an almost wallaby backline. I'd almost do a straight swap with the Rebels aside from Carter.

I'd take from you: Jake Gordon, Perese, Foketi, Nawaqanitawase, Jorgensen over their counterparts.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Makes it feel worse...

Hopefully I'm reading too much into trials but it's just been very clunky. Having not had them all together in a trial isn't a great though.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Aus U20s have put 50+ on Aus Barbarians sides which are full of 1st graders.

Different things though. The under 20s play that game at the end of their preparation against a scratch team that has probably had one or two training sessions together.

The Waratahs A side with a mix of academy players and some Shute Shield players who have trained with the Waratahs over the Summer are likely to have less cohesion than the Shute Shield side who are from a single club.

Certainly the Waratahs trial results are noteworthy in that they've been bad but it's so hard to read a lot into preseason results.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Different things though. The under 20s play that game at the end of their preparation against a scratch team that has probably had one or two training sessions together.

The Waratahs A side with a mix of academy players and some Shute Shield players who have trained with the Waratahs over the Summer are likely to have less cohesion than the Shute Shield side who are from a single club.

Certainly the Waratahs trial results are noteworthy in that they've been bad but it's so hard to read a lot into preseason results.
This is true. Recency bias is skewing my opinion but I would have liked one trial that seemed to be positive.

Can hope they've been smashed and come in fit and firing now.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)

Agree, its a very good side on paper , loaded with Wallabies, With a very good coach with a good record (just not at Super Rugby , yet). I expect they will be much better in the real matches -

pnut

Watty Friend (18)

Barbarians have had next to no regular first graders in the line up. A lot of 2nd and 3rd graders who may have had ss experience due to injury I think you will find

HooperPocockSmith

Bill Watson (15)
Sorry, you're criticizing the Tahs for having some 19 and 20 year olds on development contracts?
I'm not at all. The problem is that some of these will likely be called into the side at some stage when injuries hit. That's when it looks really bad.

I guess its been mentioned ad nauseum on this forum but squad depth is the biggest issue for Aussie Super sides. The Tahs have some great topline talent but you they're in big trouble if a couple of centres and outside backs go down. The bench for this weekend is hardly inspiring.

Last edited:

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
Team named for Rd 1. Fairly solid, but if Edmed falls over we are in serious trouble both from a flyhalf and goal kicking perspective.... also very thin in the front row now with Lambert out for the year, Holz still months away and Ross out for the next few weeks...

WARATAHS (1-15): Angus Bell, Mahe Vailanu, Harry Johnson-Holmes, Jed Holloway, Miles Amatosero, Fergus Lee-Warner, Charlie Gamble, Langi Gleeson, Jake Gordon (c), Tane Edmed, Dylan Pietsch, Lalakai Foketi, Izaia Perese, Mark Nawaqanitawase, Joey Walton

RESERVES: Theo Fourie, Hayden Thompson-Stringer, Dan Botha, Sam Thomson, Hugh Sinclair, Teddy Wilson, Harry Wilson, Max Jorgensen

Players unavailable for selection:

• David Porecki - Achillies (Round 3-4)
  • Ned Hanigan - Hamstring (Round 2-3)
  • Will Harrison - Knee (Round 3)
  • Thomas Lambert - Knee (Season)
  • Archer Holz - Shoulder (Round 8-9)
  • Tom Ross - Calf (Round 2-3)
  • Mesu Kunavula – Knee (Season)
  • Sione Misiloi – Suspension (1 week)
  • Lachlan Swinton - Neck (Round 2+)
  • Triston Reilly - Ankle (Round 2-3)
  • Ned Slack-Smith - Neck (Round 2-3)

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Team named for Rd 1. Fairly solid, but if Edmed falls over we are in serious trouble both from a flyhalf and goal kicking perspective.... also very thin in the front row now with Lambert out for the year, Holz still months away and Ross out for the next few weeks...

WARATAHS (1-15): Angus Bell, Mahe Vailanu, Harry Johnson-Holmes, Jed Holloway, Miles Amatosero, Fergus Lee-Warner, Charlie Gamble, Langi Gleeson, Jake Gordon (c), Tane Edmed, Dylan Pietsch, Lalakai Foketi, Izaia Perese, Mark Nawaqanitawase, Joey Walton

RESERVES: Theo Fourie, Hayden Thompson-Stringer, Dan Botha, Sam Thomson, Hugh Sinclair, Teddy Wilson, Harry Wilson, Max Jorgensen

Players unavailable for selection:

• David Porecki - Achillies (Round 3-4)
  • Ned Hanigan - Hamstring (Round 2-3)
  • Will Harrison - Knee (Round 3)
  • Thomas Lambert - Knee (Season)
  • Archer Holz - Shoulder (Round 8-9)
  • Tom Ross - Calf (Round 2-3)
  • Mesu Kunavula – Knee (Season)
  • Sione Misiloi – Suspension (1 week)
  • Lachlan Swinton - Neck (Round 2+)
  • Triston Reilly - Ankle (Round 2-3)
  • Ned Slack-Smith - Neck (Round 2-3)
Just a couple of days ago there was a published list of the injury status in the squad. The difference in the lists over that few day period is very substantial. In the last few days Dave Porecki's Achilles has worsened by up to three weeks, Ned Hanigan's hamstring has worsened by up to three weeks, Lachlan Swinton has picked up a new injury to his neck that means he is out for at least two weeks, as has Ned Slack-Smith who appears to have a 2-3 week injury also. Maybe they both picked up this injury in the same contact drill. Triston Reilly has an ankle injury I didn't know about either. Hugh Sinclair has made a miraculous recovery from his calf injury to take a bench spot.

Jack Bowen has dropped right off the planet. Not injured and can't make the 23 where the 10 selected has not set the trials alight, and that's being kind. Yes, its likely to be wet but why do we need centre coverage on the bench (Harry Wilson) when Walton can move up and Jorgensen can go to 15? Is Jorgensen that unfit that we can't risk him for anything but the last few minutes? Or are there other issues in the first 15 (like Foketi's wrist) that are being hidden?

Is this misinformation and training injury occurrence supposed to be a head coach issue, a manager issue or a strength and conditioning issue? Something stinks, that's for sure.

The listed 15 is pretty good. But they had better be ready to play the full 80 - the quality drop from there to the bench is pretty alarming. Three days ago Sinclair was unavailable through injury. Sam Thompson's a rookie, so now Sinclair will be first on if the back five suffer an injury. Teddy Wilson may be our best 9 right now so he's OK, but Jorgensen is coming back from a broken leg!!!

This is not the sort of clusterfuck that top four capable teams have.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I have the same qualms as last year, went to a few games last year and had no idea what their game plan was, I hope they have some idea this year

They have a roster, lets see a cohesive plan