• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2024

Raytah

Allen Oxlade (6)
There's no team that has a good year if that happens.

But will probably cost DC his job

True, but there's still broader issues IMO.

- Talent ID is a big one - too many powerful players with low footy IQ (Pietsch, Perese, Gleeson).

- Need a 9 who passes off the deck. Gordon has an excellent exit box kick, but is taking so much time off his 10 because he can't pass off the deck.

- Screen runners rarely plausible options. No one running screen lines for the tahs ever look like getting the pill, so defences are just drifting and let them go side to side. Attack coach needs to watch the lines ireland run.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
- Screen runners rarely plausible options. No one running screen lines for the tahs ever look like getting the pill, so defences are just drifting and let them go side to side. Attack coach needs to watch the lines ireland run.
From the 6 Nations I'd say Italy are even better than Ireland in this regard, at the other end of the spectrum was Wales

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
True, but there's still broader issues IMO.

- Talent ID is a big one - too many powerful players with low footy IQ (Pietsch, Perese, Gleeson).

- Need a 9 who passes off the deck. Gordon has an excellent exit box kick, but is taking so much time off his 10 because he can't pass off the deck.

I don't think talent ID is the issue in relation to those three players - with Pietsch and Gleeson, the concern is more that they haven't improved much. But they have plenty of talent. Perese is good, I don't see any issue there.

And whilst the screen plays look pedestrian, the Tahs have made a remarkable number of breaks from first phase plays, often including screens.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
There are plenty of players with individual talent, but lacking in rugby IQ. There are a whole group of players who have got this far through raw talent, but that lack of any instinct or feel for the game lets them down at this level. I would put Gleeson, Gordon, Edmed, Perese and Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) all in that category.
It is that, and the lack of discipline that I believe has them languishing where they are. Year after year they are the most penalised side in Super Rugby.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Marky not playing for Eastwood this week.

Wilson, Bowen the 9, 10 for Easts.

More Force out there than Tahs. Poolman (Uni) O’Donnell (Norths) & Naiyaravoro (Two Blues)

Thought Nadolo was a big human for the Two Blues.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
he did his job and made more of an impact second half, not exactly standing out though.
Overall I’d say he was behind Manu(by a mile), Best, Tupou and even Gagai from the match.
True about the others. Manu is the best player in the comp when he's going. Will not surprise me to see him in Black come 2027.

Gagai another former Rugby player right? He's good for a one good game every 5-6 weeks to keep his name relevant. JS has been strong all season and last year whilst being advertised as lucky to be a 1st grader following his defection. Gets shifted around the backline as well and handles it.

Agent

Bill Watson (15)

More Force out there than Tahs. Poolman (Uni) O’Donnell (Norths) & Naiyaravoro (Two Blues)

Jeezuz... imagine lining up against the Two Blues and having to face Naiyaravoro and Nadolo on either wing!! No thanks I'm punching it up the guts that day. :eek:

Steve_Grey

Sydney Middleton (9)

I'll watch Waratahs tonight at the stadium, and Easts tomorrow - I reckon Wilson and Bowen will tear it up. Shame other Wilson not playing FB for Easts.

wamberal99

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Jeezuz... imagine lining up against the Two Blues and having to face Naiyaravoro and Nadolo on either wing!! No thanks I'm punching it up the guts that day. :eek:
The last time I saw the Two Blues play Nadolo just sort of walked around the middle of their backline, occasionally taking the ball and creating a bit of havoc.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
The last time I saw the Two Blues play Nadolo just sort of walked around the middle of their backline, occasionally taking the ball and creating a bit of havoc.
Yeah, Naiyaravoro is still trying to play at the Pro level. Nadolo was doing his bit for Club land after coming home it seemed. Think Taquele could leave track marks on a few guys if you give him a run up.

Steve_Grey

Sydney Middleton (9)
I'll watch Waratahs tonight at the stadium, and Easts tomorrow - I reckon Wilson and Bowen will tear it up. Shame other Wilson not playing FB for Easts.
Over excited having just watched that from the lucky position in members stand (thanks to a friend) - I thought Harrison changed the course of that game.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
It's such a good feeling to wake up this morning... I must admit I turned off the TV in disgust at the 78th minute... my wife was next to me, and I quote, "Don't give up that easily."

Sure enough, I jumped on Twitter, and it is 40 all. The rest is history, including Johnny Howard smiling. Indeed, it is a great feeling.

Now that I have time to digest, it is still hard to get past the fact that it has not been a good season so far. As much as DC seems like a great bloke and someone you could sink a few schooners with, I still think we need a new coaching team. I said this before, and I stand by it.

That game could have been a loss, and I am afraid DC does not have the tools to take this team to the next level yet.

Happy to eat humble pie if he proves me wrong!

In addition, I did not go to the game, despite being a member...that says a lot about how this team is going. I would never miss a game. Honestly, I know so many rugby fans that have given up on the Tahs, and just when you get some momentum, they seem to ... up. Case in Point if that game.

So, I am not going to be Debbie Downer, and I will be a happy man today!

Also, I will add my two cents.

The Tahs have two weeks until they play the Chiefs at home. If I were the GM, I would make every available player turn up to Club Rugby today and next week armed with freebies, stickers, footy, you name it. Promote the next game!!! A couple of players at each game would do wonders. Turn up at a couple of schools, and surely, you could get a few more through the gates. THEY DON'T DO ENOUGH OF THIS!!!

Next, the game will likely be a great chance to build momentum in the stands; they blew their chance against the Highlanders after beating the Crusaders in Melbourne. Don't let it happen again! You have two weeks to prepare. They got 13k for the Highlanders game; the benchmark should be 17k for this one!

Start a social media banter campaign for two weeks targeting Kiwis in Sydney; it's fun stuff, but build up the hype!

Last but not least, every Tahs fan on this forum that can make the game BRING ONE friend! I am bringing my father-in-law, who is a massive league fan (he watched that game last night), and two other mates = Put me down for 4 tickets!

Go Tahs!!!