• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v. B&I Lions - Saturday 15 June 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Lions: Leigh Halfpenny; Sean Maitland, Jonathan Davies, Jamie Roberts, Simon Zebo; Jonny Sexton, Mike Phillips; Jamie Heaslip, Sam Warburton (capt), Tom Croft; Paul O'Connell, Alun Wyn Jones; Adam Jones, Tom Youngs, Mako Vunipola. Replacements: Richard Hibbard, Alex Corbisiero, Dan Cole, Geoff Parling, Dan Lydiate, Ben Youngs, Owen Farrell, Rob Kearney.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Warburton needs a big game to justify a test place, interesting that Lydiate is on the bench I thought if he was to play the first test he'd get 80 minutes here. Tom Croft will hang out on the wings, hit no rucks, make one tackle, miss two and make some impressive line out grabs. Those two aside can't really complain too much about the pack. They'll make hay on the Tahs line out throwing, although Adam Jones aside it is a weak scrummaging tight 5.

Test match halves, 12 and 15. BOD will be wrapped in cotton wool until the first test I reckon. Looking forward to seeing Zebo have a run also

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I not so sure about that.
Seems that the ARU have decided to start taking these tour matches a bit more seriously. If the Lions players can play on Saturday against the Tah's and then again next Saturday against the Wallabies, I can'r see why the same can't be said for Dennis and Horne.

It indicates they are out of the 23, or at least starting 15, because they will losing time training with the Wallaby camp to train with the Tahs side prior to the weekend (they will probably fly down to Sydney from Brisbane at least a few days in advance). Being released for the weekend will likely cost them days out of the camp, not a day.

They would be extremely unlikely to do that with a guaranteed starter or benchwarmer, hence why AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Douglas, Barnes, Robinson, Kepu, Palu, Hooper, Folau (who will all likely make the matchday 23) are still in Wallaby camp.

If Horne and Dennis have MOM (or Morahan-like) performances against the Lions, then without doubt that will count in their favour and they may make it. Otherwise, I would expect that it's unlikely to see them in the 23.

Dennis is unsurprising anyway, Mowen has been better this year, and there would be no place for a spare on the bench will Gill/Hooper to be the replacement loosie and either Simmons/Douglas/MMM the replacement lock.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
So what's the feeling for the Tahs chances here? Better than the Reds? Worse?

For mine, Reds fielded a better team even with Horne and Dennis back, but this Tahs team won't be too far behind. The big difference will be in the pack.

The bigger issue will be what the Lions roll out. Wings and BOD aside, that Lions backline is getting awully close to what I'd consider there A team. North and BOD are the key players missing.

The pack is a bit each way. I think it's a slight improvement on what the Reds faced. The Reds got the advantage over the Lions around the park in the pack, so the question will be if the Tahs can do the same. Chieka's style will definitely aim to stretch the Lions around the park.

Set pieces I expect the Lions to have the advantage.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
That's a big call, though you did say "could".

Elle McPherson could come into the house in the next five minutes and ravish me while the missus is down at the shops, but I doubt it.

The only thing I can say for sure is that Will is doing much better than I ever thought he would a couple of years ago and that I hope he keeps surprising me.

Another thing: he will learn a lot playing against POC.

I'd agree that at this stage he still has a way to go yet, but it looks like he has the work rate to go with his giant frame, also his defensive work in mauls is superb!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
You wouldn't recognise his work rate compared to what it was in 2010 when he was at school. Then he lumbered around the park like a friendly bear and put in 5 minutes here and 5 minutes there - a slight exaggeration, but you know what I mean.

The Tahs' borgata have done well to identify him as an up and coming talent. Maybe the game in Perth was the highlight of his career, or maybe he will play in a lot of Super games. Time will tell.

This Lions' match will be a big step up in class for Will, and Atkins; let's see how they go.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Tom Carter was originally named in the Combined Country team to meet the Lions, but withdrew - I didn't see any reports stating why, but I assume that this was because the Waratahs thought he might be needed for Saturday (he isn't on their list of injured or unavailable players). Assume he plays on Saturday. I have in the back of my mind that his older brother, Ed's, one and only appearance for the Waratahs was against the Lions back in 2001. I never say that anything's unique, because as soon as you do, someone points out the feats of the Volbrechtsen brothers who both played against the Lions for South East Orange Free State, or something like that. But it must be highly unusual for two brothers to play against the Lions for the ame team, twelve years apart.

I'm pretty sure I'm right about Ed Carter - from memory, it was also the only Waratahs appearance for his University team-mate, Drew Hickey.

Can anyone who's sharper on the trivia confirm or deny? Gordon Bray would know, I suppose.

While on the general subject of trivial stuff, I walked past Brian O'Donnell in Bridge Street at lunchtime today. He was in his training gear. I thought he'd be bigger, but there you are.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Talk the talk and walk the walk. Cheiks in action during the open training session on Wednesday.

1530_10151544602522144_270540790_n.jpg

Photo credit: Getty 2013/Mark Nolan

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Borgata, Lee Grant. Nice. Once I found out what it means.

Not pleased with Cheika appearing to run sideways whilst passing though. Shoulders square please.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Bet he isn't wearing a mouth guard and seems to only be in runners.

Has that ball left the hands in a backwards motion?

Lee Grant, back in the day, it was always good to have the coach on the bottom of the ruck.

They quickly found out if they were popular with the boys or not.;)

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
How long has Damien Fitzpatrick been fit? Did he make the field against the Force? Every time the current replacement rakes through a lineout ball a metre off centre I think about him.
He is a talent and hopefully can get a bit of luck with injuries.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Heard 16 guys unavailable for the Tahs. They are going to field more imports than the Bulls

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
The official line is that they want them to keep them in match practice and to get info on the Lions from a player point of view.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Carter start ahead of Kingston and Horne play 13. The Lions centres Roberts, Davies and Tuilagi are all big boppers and Carter could have value stopping them.

Cheika made a remark before the season started that he regarded Kingston as only a winger "at this stage" although he had to use him there last week.

At worst, Carter will get a run from the bench.

One thing that has worried me for some time is that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is supposedly indestructible, so much so that we have not chosen anyone as the back-up 13.

Then I thought maybe Dingo had a road-to-Damascus conversion and that he had finally selected McCabe as AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s back-up in a position matching his skillset . This is not how he usually thinks though - Maggie Thatcher was a turnstile compared to him.

Now I think its more likely that he has decided that Horne is AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s natural back-up since that's where he first selected him and Dingo is not for turning. This is despite the fact that Horne and Lilo have been the two form 12's this year. It would therefore make sense that Horne has come back to play a game at 13 to freshen him up, ready to step in if AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) goes down.

I too think that Cheika will select 12 Carter, 13 Horne over 12 Horne, 13 Kingston. Kingston played well last week but so did Carter, who kept Godwin quiet almost all game. Not many 12's have managed that this year. Selection would be a fitting reward for Carter who has been a Waratah stalwart for a number of years.

P

Paradox

Lions: Leigh Halfpenny; Sean Maitland, Jonathan Davies, Jamie Roberts, Simon Zebo; Jonny Sexton, Mike Phillips; Jamie Heaslip, Sam Warburton (capt), Tom Croft; Paul O'Connell, Alun Wyn Jones; Adam Jones, Tom Youngs, Mako Vunipola. Replacements: Richard Hibbard, Alex Corbisiero, Dan Cole, Geoff Parling, Dan Lydiate, Ben Youngs, Owen Farrell, Rob Kearney.

It find it unreal that BOD is not playing this match. Surely he is their best 13? Anyway, no George North either so maybe reading too much into it. Thing is, BOD needs his combo with Roberts working whereas North will slot back in easier.

Anyway, go the Tahs smash these Lions!!!

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
It find it unreal that BOD is not playing this match. Surely he is their best 13? Anyway, no George North either so maybe reading too much into it. Thing is, BOD needs his combo with Roberts working whereas North will slot back in easier.

Anyway, go the Tahs smash these Lions!!!

BOD won't play till the 1st test, he is being wrapped in cotton wool by Lions management apparently. One of the few sensible decisions on this tour so far by the Lions brains trust

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Why not Horne 12, carter 13? I believe some of tom's best games have been at 13, and could slot into the AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) type role well (tackle hard, fend, and chase kicks)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

A little surprised how far this is out from the likely test team. I think only Halfpenny, Roberts, Sexton and Phillips are guaranteed starters from the backline. North and O'Driscoll are also definite starters and I think the second winger is still a little up in the air following Bowe's injury.

In the forwards, Warburton is playing for the 7 jersey in the first test. I think he will be relegated to the bench if he doesn't have a good game against the Tahs.

I think Heaslip is the likely 8, Croft is a chance at 6 but there are plenty of challengers, locks are completely up in the air (Gray, POC, jones and Parling all make their case). In the front row, only Adam Jones is a starting XV player.

Not pleased with Cheika appearing to run sideways whilst passing though. Shoulders square please.

Cheika isn't running sideways. He passed the ball then turned to his left to call the outside man a @$%^

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Cheika's comments on the Rugby Club tonight I thought were interesting. Paraphrasing, I think he acknowledged that the Waratahs could not play the gameplan the Reds did, particularly without Cooper, but that they would play their own gameplan and see where it goes. Interesting because although the Tahs play a different structure to the Reds, they also look to put real pace on the game too. Foley is key to this. If he has a blinder then the Lions will play against a structure that they haven't seen for a long time. There aren't many teams scoring tries off set piece, particularly lineouts, nor many teams who run the ball back at you from inside the 22.

He's a cunning coach though. Said that if everything went their way, if everyone really stepped up and if they had just a little bit of luck they might, just might get close to an upset. If that's the message he is giving to the squad, I'll walk down Pitt Street at lunchtime totally naked. He thinks that they are a real chance of causing an upset. Just as the Reds were until the heavens opened.

The biggest problem the Tahs have is the same as the Reds had. The tight five for the Lions are going to be a real handful for the Reserve tight five, especially the second row. Set piece will be very tough, with POC, AWJ, Croft and Parling jumping and Jones and Vunipola in the scrum.

Status
Not open for further replies.