• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Blues - Round 11, Saturday 6 May, Allianz Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Francis is the only one to return from injury this week.

1. Pauliasi Manu
2. James Parsons
3. Charlie Faumuina
4. Gerard Cowley-Tuioti
5. Scott Scrafton
6. Steven Luatua
7. Blake Gibson
8. Akira Ioane
9. Augustine Pulu
10. Piers Francis
11. Rieko Ioane
12. Sonny Bill Williams
13. George Moala
14. Matt Duffie
15. Michael Collins

16. Matt Moulds
17. Ofa Tu'ungafasi
18. Sione Mafileo
19. Leighton Price
20. Murphy Taramai
21. Billy Guyton
22. Bryn Gatland
23. Melani Nanai

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Pretty happy with that team!

Although I would've liked Taqele over Reece.

If we're looking for a 'pure' winger surely there are better options then Reece floating around in the SS? By 'pure' I mean quick, evasive, decent defensively and not a wrecking ball like Taqele.

I like what I've seen of Richard Woolf at Norths.

Robinson was outstanding in the preseason and I thought he was really going to have a good year in 2017. He had a couple of shocking games before being dropped, particularly a horror game in defence (I think at home against the Crusaders).

Woolf certainly has outstanding pace but I think is a little one dimensional.

Hopefully Harry Jones kicks on (metaphorically only, in reality he needs to kick less!) and can come into consideration more next year.

I'm super happy with how Cam Clark is going. I wasn't sure he was really going to make it but he has been really good. His all round skills are really solid and despite being small has been a rock in defence. I'd certainly back him to tackle a big opposition winger more often than any of our other wingers.

In terms of the Blues team announced, our forwards really have to contain Faumuina and Luatua. Those guys were immense last week against the Brumbies and gave them so much of their go forward.

In the backs, the Duffman is a huge threat. He doesn't look that imposing but gee he is playing well.

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
Nanai not starting over Collins is just woeful selection (copy and paste every week). If Nanai moves franchises for game time the blame should strictly go to Tana. I'd have Gatland over Francis too.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Woolf is a very good club winger. Club rugby is a big step down from the Soup, though.

Robinson is a good all round option, IMHO.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
You don't read that left wing rag, Fats, shirley?

A lot of people read right wing rags......

I've never understood why people throw the words "left wing" or "lefty" as if they're an insult. I very firmly identify as a "lefty" and am quite happy to be called one.

In today's world essentially every major paper is a rag.

It's just up to the individual to pick their poison.

Anyway, I digress...

Lets leave the politics to political forums.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think wamberal was being a bit tongue in cheek. I'd bet he is further left than fatprop!

That David Squires A-League cartoon is great though, even if it does lampoon the Waratahs.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Nanai not starting over Collins is just woeful selection (copy and paste every week). If Nanai moves franchises for game time the blame should strictly go to Tana. I'd have Gatland over Francis too.

Nanai is a victim of the overstocked midfield. While he is playing well, he will not displace Collins, who provides a back three kicking option that would be non-existent if he wasn't there.

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
Nanai is a victim of the overstocked midfield. While he is playing well, he will not displace Collins, who provides a back three kicking option that would be non-existent if he wasn't there.

If they wanted a kicking option from fullback so bad they'd be better off chucking Duffie at fullback (where he played for Harbour) and Nanai on the wing. Other than a boot (and a fairly average one at that might I add) Collins offers nothing meanwhile the attacking talent of Nanai is wasted on the bench - last week vs Brumbies was a prime example. Nanai's form at fullback last year was so good he got called into a wider training squad for the ABs.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
asked about Gordon's selection Gibrson said he was their #1 halfback, but Phipps was closing in on him. What was last week about then, was he injured and I missed it?

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
asked about Gordon's selection Gibrson said he was their #1 halfback, but Phipps was closing in on him. What was last week about then, was he injured and I missed it?

I think last week was more about Phipps having greater experience and runs on the board against Queensland - both of which are important in a scrappy game that was always going to be close. I think Gibson thought it was going to be a bit of a bar-brawl (pool cues and all), and Phipps is your man on that occassion (angry little fucker he is). He seemed to be really vocal and I think his presence fired the boys up a bit more.

This week is more about sterile and they've probably focused on being clinical and taking our opportunities as they present themselves. Gibson obviously thinks Gordon is the man for this, although I thought Phipps had a fantastic game last weekend.

Not much in it for me, I'm happy with either.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
He said it was part of standard rotation. Lucas got time as well. Which is actually fine, we have two of the three best young half-backs in our squad. Rotation in this position doesn't seem to hurt us.

The rest of the team though....

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Ok so we're 5 minutes away from kick off and this thread hasn't been touched for 2 days. Everyone must be at the game!

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Reasonably good-looking crowd, lotsa cuzzy bros. 1:50 after kick-off the rain starts......

Status
Not open for further replies.