• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs V Brumbies @ Homebush

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
yes but there's always a noticeable difference with TPN there and not there. Not so much with Moore. Maybe it's the replacements but I've noticed the Wallabies scrum perform slightly poorer when TPN goes off.

Anyway, they're both obviously world class I'm just saying it's not as simple that Moore is the better hooker which many cried when Robbie selected TPN over him. Deans obviously sees the value in TPN starting and so do I. He can give it his all for 50-60 mins and then Moore who is probably less error prone to finish it off. I think you want greater impact at the start of a game.

I understand the Moore TPN confusion, but my two bob's worth is that TPN is a show pony going for the starry stuff all the time.

Definitely not a show pony, that's not his character, he goes for the big hits because that's his commitment to his team. He gives it absolutely everything and most of the time only stops until he is physically unable to.

T

TOCC

This complete bullshit about strength and conditioning is laughable. How did the Waratahs players manage to last 80 minutes in the Wallaby jersey? What the hell is in the Waratah jersey? Kryptonite.

No its not complete bullshit...

The Waratahs forwards (Palu, Robinson, TPN, Kepu) who were starting for the Wallabies only played on average 65min across the series...
Rob Horne and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) were the only Tahs players to play the full 80min across all 3 games, Berrick admittedly was only pulled off in the 2nd Wales game because he was cramping..

numbertwo

Peter Burge (5)
I agree "Show pony" was a poor choice of words and let me say again I really respect TPN but what I meant was that he seems to go for the high risk plays and often hurts himself. To me this is something that you don't do as you mature as a player and can read a game much more clearly.

On the second point about S&C, why didn't we criticise these guys when they only lasted 65mins (quite common in the modern game) when the played for the Wallabies?

T

TOCC

I'm not criticizing anyone.. Waratahs obviously don't have the luxury of depth that the Wallabies have in certain positions to be able to sub certain players...

Just highlighting that there may not be a direct correlation to test performances and Waratahs due to playing time..

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Moore is the better all round player, and I believe that you should always pick your best XV.......

Anyways.......

Woeful crowd. They may as well have played this in Canberra.......

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Would you mind elaborating on this bit?
Because we may have a team that will make the top three on merit and not because a team from Australia has to be in the top three.

I said 'probably' because I'd like the Reds to be in the top 6 as well.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Because we may have a team that will make the top three on merit and not because a team from Australia has to be in the top three.

I said 'probably' because I'd like the Reds to be in the top 6 as well.

If the reds win next weekend and dont make the finals they will finish on more wins than positions 5 and 6, and the same number as positions 3 and 4.

They deserve to be there as much as the next team?!

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
When are the tickets on sale for fan forum 2012 at Waratahs HQ?

Scoop Growden was saying the other weekend that the Tah's board are asking people as they walk past Tah HQ what they think the answers to the problems are. Might be the place to start.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Last few minutes were incredible for the Tahs. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) misses the simplest of tackles. The Tahs knock on in the first phase about 3 times in a row.

Do they really hate Queenslanders that much?

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Back home after turning up at Homebush, sucking on a 2004 Tenuta Rocca Langhe Rosso Ornati, AND IT'S NOT MAKING ME FEEL ANY BETTER! Have the Tahs backs met just this afternoon? WTF can't professional rugby players pass the pill from one to another so's the receiver catches it? WTF can't professional rugby players pass the pill to someone who's in a position to catch it? Hint: he's supposed to be wearing a blue jumper, not an orange one. I was with the Brumbies group behind the northern goalposts, throw the ball to me you gimps, I assure you I'll catch the bloody thing. And to rub salt into my wounds my companion was a Brumbies supporter from Tumbarumba! Bit difficult to give cheek when she's 6'1" and makes outstanding wine.

In some ways I feel sorry for Axle Foley. He's a good forwards coach, as shown by his performance at the Tahs these last three years and the Wallabies prior to that, the set pieces are steady, breakdown work's good, but the backs? Fucking hopeless! One could mount a good argument for bringing Cheika in as head coach supported by Foley with the pigs and a couple of new assisants to run the backs and the strength and conditioning program. Did Foley have to take the assistants Waratahs Rugby foisted on him? If there are two areas which have let the Tahs down this year it'd have to be backs and fitness. And they're both relatively easily fixable.

Rant over, I'm going to bed for a good cry.

Was that one of Ferrari's less-popular models?!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Faaark

The Tahs had enough ball and enough field position to win three games last night.

They dominated the set piece, Alexander was owned by a rookie ....................... and they looked clueless ball in hand, too slow to react, just not enough structure and effort to realign - in attack and defence.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's interesting that Alexander seems to scrummage so much better this year after he's shifted to the TH side.......

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
If the reds win next weekend and dont make the finals they will finish on more wins than positions 5 and 6, and the same number as positions 3 and 4.

They deserve to be there as much as the next team?!
Im not saying that the Reds should or shouldnt be there. I was discussing how poor it would be if the Brumbies lost last night and the highest ranked Australian team is 5th but gets a home final. We'd never hear the end of it from our Saffa and kiwi cousins.

A few seasons ago the Tahs had more wins than the Crusaders but the Crusaders went into the finals because of bonus points. I can sympathise with the Reds situation... But you're not going to win next week so it's academic really ;)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I don't know, Moore was also very impressive, and TPN did crock a couple of throws I thought.

Moore offers something a little different, but he also carried the ball well. Moore is a better thrower and more effective at ruck time, so it depends on what you want for the team. How Moore got away with murdering some of the Tahs ball at ruck time I will never know.

A human missile or a more well rounded player? What do the Wobs lack?

We have two great hookers, and all we are arguing about is who plays 50 minutes and who plays 30 minutes.

As long as we have those two making up 80 minutes for the Wobs, I don't care really either way.

Both have different but great skills.

P

Paradox

We should pick our best hooker for Oz and that would be Moore.

Status
Not open for further replies.