• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Bulls, Round 12, 14 May 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Thanks ForceFan for the continuing stats;

Its starting to get to direct comparisons and it is interesting the stats between Hooper and Pocock ( to me it is the position most interesting )

Similar minutes on the field
Poey = 37 Ruck Involvements, Hooper - 26
Poey = 24 in attack and 13 in defence
Hooper = 21 un attack and 5 in defence

Dunno about run metres.

Shall await with unbridled anticipation, the inevitable comments that will be sure to follow:)

Did you leave out the comparison with Liam Gill for any particular reason?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'll bite.
Wouldn't it be great to pick a player that didn't need other players to do his job for him. A 7 who was strong over the ball, could distribute and was a genuine lineout option.

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Tapatalk

With the combination of Hooper and Pocock we get all of that and more at the moment. I know where you're going though, maybe this lad from QLD maybe ;)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Here are the points conceded for each Aussie team.

Waratahs 189
Brumbies 247
Rebels 258
Reds 309
Force 321

(Brumbies and Reds have both played an extra game)

I'm pretty sure the Waratahs would have generated substantially fewer breakdown turnovers than the other Aussie sides. As has been noted, they don't contest many defensive breakdowns and instead keep a longer defensive line.

It's hard to argue it's not working reasonably well so far.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The biggest change in rugby in the last decade at the professional level is how much everyone is expected to be able to do everything compared with before.

The involvement and skill needed at the breakdown by every player has grown substantially as well as the ability to catch and pass.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Here are the points conceded for each Aussie team.

Waratahs 189
Brumbies 247
Rebels 258
Reds 309
Force 321

(Brumbies and Reds have both played an extra game)

I'm pretty sure the Waratahs would have generated substantially fewer breakdown turnovers than the other Aussie sides. As has been noted, they don't contest many defensive breakdowns and instead keep a longer defensive line.

It's hard to argue it's not working reasonably well so far.

Very easy comparison when the Waratahs have yet to play the Crusaders, Chiefs and Hurricanes.

Average Ruck Involvements for each team after Round 12 as follows:

2016-05-16_12-16-22.jpg

Actual Rucks as follows:

Waratahs - 743 (have played 1 less game than other teams. (Av 73/game)
Force - 812 (hasn't worked well for them)
Reds - 890
Rebels - 912
Brumbies - 919

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Very easy comparison when the Waratahs have yet to play the Crusaders, Chiefs and Hurricanes.

Certainly the Tahs points against could get a workout over those games. Playing two of those games at home is certainly a benefit.

It will be interesting how competitive they are against the Crusaders this Friday.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Did you leave out the comparison with Liam Gill for any particular reason?

Mate only because he isn't in contention for a Wallaby spot - he was done and dusted ( for a variety of reasons, some valid, some not) when Hooper got the gig. Hooper then played the house down and Poey came back, got chucked into 8 and the combination worked extremely well last year.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
With the combination of Hooper and Pocock we get all of that and more at the moment. I know where you're going though, maybe this lad from QLD maybe ;)

TBH
I don't think I have ever chosen Gill over Pocock or Hooper for that matter and certainly not McMahon (both terrific players but...)

TBH (to be honest) when I make murmurings about the Wallabies I put my petty tribalism in my back pocket and only drag it with a vengeance out at Super time.

Status
Not open for further replies.