• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Crusaders, Friday 12th April, in Sydney

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
The have 6-7 front row injuries. Last week there was a lengthy debate about throwing Barrett into the cauldron instead of a Shute Shield player with more experience. Yea, the bar is very low but I think it’s one thing Coleman could be cut some slack on.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The have 6-7 front row injuries. Last week there was a lengthy debate about throwing Barrett into the cauldron instead of a Shute Shield player with more experience. Yea, the bar is very low but I think it’s one thing Coleman could be cut some slack on.
I would agree if I actually saw some structure and a plan apart from big man runs hard, quick ruck - rinse and repeat

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I would agree if I actually saw some structure and a plan apart from big man runs hard, quick ruck - rinse and repeat
Don’t disagree - but just meant that Coleman plucking this guy in wasn’t really a big failing of itself given his options were probably pretty limited.

I have subsequently realised I misread Marcel’s post anyway and missed the joke. So I am countering a point that wasn’t actually being made anyway.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Turns out defeating the Crusaders wasn't the incredible achievement we all thought it was at the time.
It's almost like the Tahs beat the Crusaders and thought it was job done or something. Something changed in the weeks after round 2 for the worse. Hopefully we can find the mojo this week.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
That was probably the worst Crusaders side ever at it's lowest point. And it's not like we smashed them. We took a lead and then defended it solidly.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
That was probably the worst Crusaders side ever at it's lowest point. And it's not like we smashed them. We took a lead and then defended it solidly.
This may be slightly overdone. The Crusaders in their first year were pretty awful as I recall.

Yoda

Watty Friend (18)
Turns out defeating the Crusaders wasn't the incredible achievement we all thought it was at the time.
That game they kicked way less and Gordon in particular put away his box kick. Ironically they have not played like that since …..and haven’t won. Funny that.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
I'll keep saying it. The season became farked when Edmed missed that simple kick to beat the Landers. We simpley HAVE to take those opportunities in Australian rugby.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'll keep saying it. The season became farked when Edmed missed that simple kick to beat the Landers. We simpley HAVE to take those opportunities in Australian rugby.
Any team needs to take a simple kick in front of the posts to win.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
That game they kicked way less and Gordon in particular put away his box kick. Ironically they have not played like that since …..and haven’t won. Funny that.
They kicked 22 times against the Crusaders, with in a kick or two of every other game bar the Drua (15 kicks) and the Brumbies (28 kicks). Certainly the accuracy and chase on the tahs kicks needs to be better, but the problem is not they're kicking too much, it almost never is.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
They kicked 22 times against the Crusaders, with in a kick or two of every other game bar the Drua (15 kicks) and the Brumbies (28 kicks). Certainly the accuracy and chase on the tahs kicks needs to be better, but the problem is not they're kicking too much, it almost never is.

That's just modern rugby isn't it. You need the threat of a competent kicking game to give a running game a serious chance at getting any territory or gaps in the defence, but every kicking mistake compounds the loss of that territory, the energy of the chasers, the confidence of the kickers etc.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
That's just modern rugby isn't it. You need the threat of a competent kicking game to give a running game a serious chance at getting any territory or gaps in the defence, but every kicking mistake compounds the loss of that territory, the energy of the chasers, the confidence of the kickers etc.
For the most part yeah, I just hate hearing the "they're losing because they're kicking too much" complaint when the vast majority of stats show the teams that win regularly kick more, not less. I don't think cutting back on kicking helps you fix your execution issues there either.

Last edited: