• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Crusaders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
mark_s said:
Oh, and I am dirty as hell with ANZ stadium. I attended with a mate who is a gold member and paid for the highest catgory seats, but our sets were shit. We were in the corner of the stadium well behind the grassed area. It was hard to see play even when the crusaders scored down our end of the field. Not happy Jan!

I paid $58 per ticket and was up on level 4 with quite a good view of the ground despite being right in the corner, literally the last seat before the big scoreboard, on the train station corner of the ground. I actually like the seats, but the $58 was a bit hard to swallow based on that performance.

35,000 at the game which is one of the best S14 crowds of recent years in Oz. Can't help but think they'll never get close to that again based on the performance. Also can't help but think a Tahs v Brumbies match would have drawn a better crowd with busloads coming up the Hume.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
mark_s said:
Surpised there aren't more match reports.

Oh, and I am dirty as hell with ANZ stadium. I attended with a mate who is a gold member and paid for the highest catgory seats, but our sets were shit. We were in the corner of the stadium well behind the grassed area. It was hard to see play even when the crusaders scored down our end of the field. Not happy Jan!

Good report Mark. I guess the problem with the Tahs is they leave us talking more about what they don't do.

I was in a corner as well, and its a bloody big ground, so not the best. Worst of all, I was seated near some Kiwis - I hope I didn't catch anything !

Sagerian

Allen Oxlade (6)
Everyone was seated near some kiwis... :(

I just got cheapie tix but still ended up in a corner just like everyone else it seems. It's really a poor stadium in terms of being able to see the action.

Maybe that's a good thing.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
My seats were the best I've had. Bought 3 for $100 , face value was $65 each. xSeats apparently, they were on halfway at the back of the bottom tear. One row behind us was the press box, and the coaches boxes were 20 metres to our right.

Saw Growden tucking in to the buffet just before kickoff, wish I'd taken that picture.

Best bit was getting the Boags Premiums, still had to get them poured into plastic cups though. Would be nice to be treated like an adult...

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
naza said:
Ash said:
Palu is a big basher who does his role very well. Not begrudging his ability for his role, rather just stating what the Tahs lack in the forwards. The Tahs need Palu. But where, though, is the link for the Tahs from the forwards to the (poor) backs? Traditionally it's the openside, but when you have a fetcher the role may go elsewhere. As much as I hate to say it, even a Sharpe seagull playing a link between forwards and backs would help the Tahs.

Interesting idea but I don't buy it. The Chiefs put on a half century of points. Who is their link forward - Sione Luaki ? Support play has to be embraced by the entire team.

Latimer, Messam, etc - the Chiefs have a few who play that link role or a the support role. Lauaki is a Palu type - Lauaki's a more slightly more damaging runner, but Palu's workrate and defence craps all over Lazyaki. Lauaki will give you a a few runs per game, Palu will give you plenty plus work more in defence. I know who I would want in my team.

Fair point about the support play - it's something that the Tahs have been woeful at this year.

One point that was glaringly obvious to me as well was how poor the Tahs backs work to get themselves into position. The Tahs get a turnover, and the backs are in a defensive line. You look at the NZ sides, or even the Reds, and those backs will run back to give themselves the opportunity to receive the ball. Not the Tahs. They stand up in their defensive line and do a heap of ball watching before bothering to lazily walk back (well after the 5/8 has received the ball) to an attacking formation, if you can call it that. I was yelling at them to move during the game, and it's very frustrating.

As well, the Tahs have the Reds syndrome at times of being able to throw a whole blanket over their players on attack. With no-one out wide, you can't even start to stretch the defence as they compress their line.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Moses said:
My seats were the best I've had. Bought 3 for $100 , face value was $65 each. xSeats apparently, they were on halfway at the back of the bottom tear. One row behind us was the press box, and the coaches boxes were 20 metres to our right.

Saw Growden tucking in to the buffet just before kickoff, wish I'd taken that picture.

Best bit was getting the Boags Premiums, still had to get them poured into plastic cups though. Would be nice to be treated like an adult...

The x seats are great if you can get them, most of them are owned by corporates or rich families though. But their view is great and they are comfy to boot.

2 years ago a friend got corporate tickets to some x seats on the halfway line. We watched the Wales game (which was pretty poor, Hoiles over in the corner to win) and the Springbok Tri-Nations game. Jake White was in the coaching box just 2 or 3 rows behind us, and every time we got points in that come back we turned around and yelled at him. Was great.

The best part of the Wales game was that our corporate host for the evening didn't give a shit about rugby, so she was happy to spend the night fetching drinks for us - and paying for it on the company card.

Status
Not open for further replies.