• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Fiji Warrior trial - Newcastle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Waratahs 60 Fiji Warriors 0

The visitors tried their best and were tough at the start of both halves, but they didn't have the fitness of the Tahs, nor the amount of time training together that the Tahs had had. The biggest cheer of the night was when they made a break in the 2nd half and threatened to score, but they were called back for a FP.

In trial matches involving an amateur team playing a professional team it is hard to assess the performance of the professional players. After the Tahs took too long to find their feet after the opening whistle and a nearly completely different Tahs team did the same in the 2nd half, they created so many chances that it became unstructured ice cream rugby.

It wasn't a perfect vehicle to prepare for the S14 but at least the rust that was loosened against the Reds should be well and truly reamed out for their trial against the Brumbies next week.

Coach Hickey would not have been pleased that many movements broke down because low percentage options were made at contact or because the ball was otherwise turned over, but he would have been happy that some of his thoroughbreds did some good work after their spell.

Scummies
- Burgess/Su'a - LB threw a few crook passes including simple popped ones, but then started doing his thing. Su'a had a terrific game in the 2nd half for a 3rd stringer who is not one of the 33 contracted S14 players.

Flyhalves - Halangahu didn't get great ball in the 1st half but regardless, he didn't compare with the dynamic Beale in the second. Kurtley's running with the ball in both hands and offloading before the tackle was terrific and it looks like he's getting off to a good start to the season - and with no hint of being over-weight compared to last year.

Midfield - Tahu at 13 had a superb first half and the Fijians barely knew how to stop him any time he had the pill. He threw a bad no look pass which blew a try once, but was nevertheless the best player of the first half. Had the runners next to him ran better lines when he had the pill at moments of difference he would have been deemed sensational.

Carter played 12 in the 1st half and looked just solid except one time he came flying along the touchline to take a pass for a try. Geez, he looked quick. I had to look up who it was. But he didn't compare with Robbie Horne playing 12 and doing Tim Horan impersonations in the 2nd.

Outside backs - Tuqiri started out dropping pill and looking out of touch. He had later lapses too but came out with a pass mark. SNK came on to play wing after half time, when I checked out where guys were playing, and was the best player in the 2nd half IMO. He made his supports look good repeatedly with timely passes.

Turner played well at fullback but the jury is still out about his goal kicking. He missed his first one to convert Tahu's try not too far from the right upright and I fear that Beale will retain the gig.

Forwards

As for the forwards: it's probably best to say that the regulars were better than the Wannabies across the board.

Both Tahs scrums were superior and a special mention must go to Dan Palmer, reserve Tahs THP. His future will be defined by his scrummaging ability but he looked so handy a couple of times around the park in the 2nd half, that I had to look up his number.

TPN and Freier had terrific games of their respective types except that TPN threw a couple of crook throws at the start of the game.

Unfortunately the two new Tahs locks who teamed in the 2nd half, Thomson and Douglas, spent most of the time sucking in seagulls. They didn't look up to the pace of the game and the comparison with the activity of Caldwell and Mumm in the 1st half was unfavourable.

The comparison of Mowen and Fava was interesting as they may be rivals for the 6 spot. Mowen played 6 and did a couple of good things including a long run that set up a try wheras Fava played 8 and did some good hard things but seems to have lost pace. On that performance: Mowen is probably ahead to play 6 if Mumm plays lock.

There are some bowlers who hit the bat hard and some runners who hit the tackle hard. Fava hits hard but Mowen is a Hoiles type: a runner and linker. The Tahs need a bruiser who can back up Palu and a hard scrapper who can replace Elsom and make a few breaks away from the ruck.

With Mowen and Fava, they have neither.

Summary
Nobody new jumped out of the pack to say: I wasn't a regular in the starting team last year but I demand a spot. Nor were there a lot of demands to be in the 22.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Thanks for an outstanding game review Lee :thumb

Unfortunately the two new Tahs locks who teamed in the 2nd half, Thomson and Douglas, spent most of the time sucking in seagulls. They didn't look up to the pace of the game and the comparison with the activity of Caldwell and Mumm in the 1st half was unfavourable.

Can't say I'm surprised. Its a very hard ask for 2 metre + blokes to come out of club footy and drag their massive frames around at S14 pace, plus factor in ELVs..ouch.

Anything different about how the Tahs are playing the game ?

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Outstanding report, Lee. Much obliged.

Lee Grant said:
SNK came on to play wing after half time, when I checked out where guys were playing, and was the best player in the 2nd half IMO. He made his supports look good repeatedly with timely passes.

That's what I'm talking about!

Lee Grant said:
Fava played 8 and did some good hard things but seems to have lost pace.

The fastest he has moved in the last couple of years is when having a seizure. For my money, a dud buy. Hope he proves me wrong, though, as usual.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Gagger said:
Great one Lee - felt like I was there!
and you didn't get that feeling from the 30 text / picture messages I sent you??

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Here's my text message updates from the match, looks better in colour over here.

Moses is at the Waratahs vs Fiji trial in Newcastle texting me live updates. Here?s the transcript as it happens.

Moses: Tahu just scored, Turner misses the conversion. 5-0

GAGR: Beer status?

Moses: Fucking awesome, blue tongue schooners, got 4, need a piss. Seems we?re playing 4 quarters

Moses: Corporate seating rocks, dunnies right behind seats. Good crowd, say 15 thou. Tahu looked dangerous, broke 3 tackles earlier to almost score, offload was intercepted. Back on now.

Moses: 3 mins into second quarter, penalty try, 12-0 mighty Tahs

Moses: Another break by Tahu, put Lote into space and Tuqiri couldn?t bomb this one. Turner hits post form 25m off centre, he?s 1/3

Moses: Piggies just bombed a try, Carter I think scored from restart. Fiji look ordinary. Turner converts 24 zip

Moses: Fiji strung some phases together, looked OK. Then we got it back, attack, grubber kick cos we?re in Newcastle, they run it back in goal, drop it, try Tahs Mowen 29-0

Moses: Lote just stuffed up 3 times. Collided with Turner off the ball. Dropped bomb under no pressure, is it club or country?

Moses: Kurtley is on for Hangers, looks good, though I dont know about Fava at 8, only 12kg on Kurts! Turner good, clearance and turnover. He just scored too, Kurts not kicking, 36-0

GAGR: Time?

Moses: 3 quarter time. Lote is fucking useless. One good hit and 3 bombed tries.

Moses: Dunning working the crowd, kissing babies and limping. He?s got a minder in case someone hands him a pie I guess. Palu signing too

Moses: Crowd behind Fiji now, 41 zip and .11 to go. Carn Fiji, you can have Lote (back)

Moses: 55-0 full time

GAGR: Schooner count?

Moses: 7 beers. We?re playing again on Thurs, those poor elite athetes just played 4 20 min quarters in oppressive 22c heat, with frequent extra drink breaks. Now they?ve got to back up in only 5 days! Seems so unfair

GAGR Footnote; As a testament to the effects of 7 schooies of Blue Tongue, the actual score was

NSW WARATAHS 60 (Lachie Turner 2, Timana Tahu, Lote Tuqiri, Tom Carter, Ben Mowen, Peter Playford, Kurtley Beale, Daniel Halangahu tries, penalty try; Turner 3 cons, Beale 2 cons) bt FIJI WARRIORS 0

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Can we make the Moses beer goggles match report a regular feature?

GAGR: What's the score?

Moses: These cheerleaders are awesome!

GAGR: The SCORE fuckwit!

Moses: Go the Tahs!

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Here's 4 minutes of video footage from my digital camera with no tripod. It's shaky, slow to focus and my commentary is pretty ordinary or non-existant, but damn it, it's the Tahs!

The footage does improve through the clip along with my technique.. and btw, it's Ratu limping around at the end, not Cliffy as I keep saying :D

Download Link

local_resize.php

-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-
Capture: Sony Cybershot at 4X optical zoom
Video: XVid, 720x576, avi
Audio: MP3 110-150 kbps
Size: 39 MB
-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Thanks for posting that footage Moses - good stuff.

That was Mowen that made that good break early in the footage. I said it was a long run. It wasn't that long was it, but it seemed 40M from memory. Oh well.

You must have been sitting just above me - and farque I must be getting old - I didn't notice any cheerleaders.

On reading my report again I realise that I didn't emphasise enough how mobile and powerful TPN was. And geez - how hard does he hit players in the tackle?

I'm sorry to say that the 4 and 20 pies were soggy and uninteresting. The peppery Vilis pies at Gosford are superior.

And - although it is a new ground and not yet completed - in the true tradition of Oz sporting venues, the PA system had the clarity of those at Chatswood station.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I ddin't see any cheerleaders either..

you and Lindommer must have been in the povvo seats, we had to pay $33 for ours ;) Just went up there as Corsair was sitting nearby, he's a Pirates fan and life member, should be along on thursday as well..

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Moses said:
Gagger said:
Great one Lee - felt like I was there!
and you didn't get that feeling from the 30 text / picture messages I sent you??

Your reportage (which I think I posted somewhere else here) gave me more of the 'atmosphere' - or should I say that '7 Bluetongues tingle'. Which was interesting 9am at work in London.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
naza said:
Anything different about how the Tahs are playing the game ?

Not really. I imagine the Tahs from the last two years would have played the same against that opposition.

We will get a better idea on Thursday night against the Brumbies.

Status
Not open for further replies.