• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Highlanders - Super Rugby round 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
looks like 7min man Tom Carter couldn't handle the defeat on the last play after the buzzer. Must not be happy being benched...

Hard game of Rugby though, but the better team won in the end. It could have gone either way but silly penalties and not clearing the ball out the 22... Dean Mumm better sharpen up on his laws with handling the ball at the back of the Ruck. The like off Beau,Mccaw,Pocock love that stuff..

Also it was great to hear the NZ call of the Game..

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
I thought the tahs were hard done by. The highlanders are getting away with murder diving in at rucks and going off there feet. Bryce must golf not got the memo on cracking down on it. Haha. I think the highlanders will be in for a shock under a different ref
here is an example head first like a cannon.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331397182.806447.jpg

Http://www.youtube.com/shiggins316

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
"under a different ref"

never happens, Kiwi teams continue to get away with murder at the breakdown. Most of it is to do with their aggressiveness the referee ignoring the dominant pack at the ruck

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Yep we lacked the "Backbone in the Backline", I would love to see BB (10), Carter(12), AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)(13), Kingston(14), Foley(15) & ?(11).

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) had a corker last night I thought and I thought Horne got lost in defence a couple of times

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
The important thing for me when it comes to referees is how they manage the game. I might disagree with their decisions, but if they have a plan or style and are consistent I am more than happy to live with it.

Those who defend Bryce Lawrence often point out that most of his decision are the correct ones. But this ignores his ability to manage and control the game. To penalise a team for sealing off the ball in a ruck is a correct decision, but it is a problem for the ref and both teams if the ref has ignored the same indiscretion by the opposition in the previous five rucks. Eventually players and coaches lose respect for these refs and cynically plan their tactics accordingly. This point is best illustrated in the contrasting ref performances in the game involving the Waratahs and the game invoving the Brumbies.

For myself and many of my friends, we just hate it when our teams have to play under referees who are unable to manage and control the game.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Halingahu got a bit cocky with that kick. Shit happens and players learn from that stuff. That kick aside, he has taken his game to a new level and is playing some very balanced rugby. His contol and option taking has been very impressive this year.

I also thought Sekopi Kepu had a blinder in this game. Good set piece we know but his energy around the park is very impressive.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Post hoc ergo propter hoc.:
Keep your sholders above the hips when playing in the front row
thanks. I always thought it meant keep your shoulders level with your hips when playing in the front row. Very much appreciate the clarification. Wouldn't get that sort of help from Latin scholars like Cyclo and Hawko.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I don't understand. I'm a Queenslander. Please explain.
Not strictly an accurate use of the term, but there is not necessarily a causal relationship between you saying you all make sense, and it being so. ;)
Inside Shoulder's interpretation is also good!!
Just stirring you, no harm intended.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Halangahu miss was a shocker, especially considering how well he was kicking overall.

I don't think you can say that it lost the Tahs the game though. There was too long left and too many variables to say that it would have made the final score 19-18 instead of 18-17.

The Tahs played well and put in a massive effort to get so close. The season could be going so differently now if a couple of things had gone differently. Throwing the game away against the Reds and losing by a point last night, we could so easily be 3 and 0. Instead we're 1 from 3 and already we're in a position where we can't afford to lose too many more games if we want to make the finals.

W

Waylon

With the amount of rules at the breakdown and different nationalistic biases to rugby styles, there is going to be different interpretations by different referees. A good referee will be consistent. So if the Highlanders are piling in and going off their feet, The tahs needed to follow their lead. It was noticeable that the Tahs started trying it as the match progressed with some reward also.

It was a good game. Shame for the Tahs. Close but no cigar

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Not strictly an accurate use of the term, but there is not necessarily a causal relationship between you saying you all make sense, and it being so. ;)
Inside Shoulder's interpretation is also good!!
Just stirring you, no harm intended.
None taken.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I thought the highlanders were off their game. That could be because the tahs didnt let them settle
The stats show the huge imbalance at the breakdown and the difference in the missed tackles.
5 line breaks to 0 is telling.
On these you could say the tahs were luck to be in the game

Status
Not open for further replies.