• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Moana Pasifika, Allianz Stadium Saturday 3 June 2023

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
People care about a dead rubber too much
It's not so much the result, it's the manner of play that is disappointing this late in the season. Winning your home games are equally important for the supporter base of any sporting team, especially when your have a mere 6 or so times for them to see you live.

Hopefully Jake's HIA doesn't force him out next week.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
People care about a dead rubber too much
Strange take. Dead rubbers and the Waratahs have not been a good combo in the past. 2002 lingers...
Getting pantsed the week before a sudden death match at Eden Park hardly sets a vibe.

Reactions: mst

Agent

Bill Watson (15)
My summary of tonight’s individual players performance. It was ugly!

Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) - looked out of position. Not a fullback at this level IMO. Made me appreciate how good Max J is!!

Perese - quietest game I’ve seen him play in a good while. Better at 13.

Walton - a real ‘rocks and diamonds’ performance. Tried hard but mistakes aplenty.

Tuipuloto - didn’t even notice him! I hope someone else did?!

Pietsch - tried hard. One of our better performers without being brilliant.

Donaldson - I’ve been a big supporter but that was pretty ugly.

Goddard - tried hard but he isn’t Jake Gordon.

Seu - I’ve enjoyed watching him play this year. A hard worker. I’d be happy to see him in blue again next year.

Hooper - thank heavens he was on the field tonight. It would have been super ugly without him! Great that he scored at the end.

Swinton - a couple of big shots. We need more consistency from Swinton and he seems to have spent a lot of time injured or suspended.

Sinclair - a typical Sinclair performance. A super star he is not but he works hard.

Hanigan - we missed Jed tonight. A few good things from Hanigan but then a few basic blunders as well.

HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) - might have won a scrum penalty but certainly gave away 2 or 3.

Vailanu - good around the field but we turned over 3 lineouts in the first half and sure it might all be his fault but it swings momentum.

Leatigaga - must have picked up an injury early.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Losing a dead rubber wouldn't have been such an issue if your team hadn't played like absolute dogshit. They are going to get annihilated next week.
Well if they lost they wouldn’t have played well?

They were always going to get annihilated next week, we’ve seen them get smashed 3 times in NZ already. Winning 30+ tonight would not have changed that.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well if they lost they wouldn’t have played well?

They were always going to get annihilated next week, we’ve seen them get smashed 3 times in NZ already. Winning 30+ tonight would not have changed that.
1685794012277.png

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I was out at the game and despite the shite performance from the Tahs it was a really good atmosphere. I think most of the crowd were more interested in keeping their glass full than the actual rugby. Seems the players turned up with the same attitude. Went out to the pub afterwards in my fangear and the amount of WTF comments from people I’ve never met before was unprecedented. I guess the silver lining might be that punters are actually talking about the Tahs again.

The lack of a proper fullback was obvious. I’m not sure that we can fix that in 6 days without getting an SOS recruit in. I’m convinced that if we had either Jorgensen or Kurtley there we would have won the game comfortably. And Edmed isn’t the answer at 10. In a nothing to lose knockout final, given the lack of alternatives I would nearly be inclined to roll the dice and pair Perese and Walton in the midfield and put Foketi up the back. We need all 3 of those blokes on the field and I can’t think of another way to adequately fill the void at 15.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
That was disappointing, you would be looking for a lot better going into the finals. Just when the Tahs were starting to find a bit of form, the last two weeks have been a real regression. The set piece fell apart, lots of missed one-on-one tackles, lots of careless, lazy penalties, inaccurate passing, poor handling, just generally really poor.
Individually, Vailanu couldn't hit a barn door with his throws, you can't blame the jumper when the ball is being picked off before it gets to him. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) was hinging in the scrum, Ned losing the ball in contact, Walton (normally a smart rugby player) making some poor decisions, Perese looked completely lost on the wing. Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) the last two weeks has gone back to his 2021 habit of throwing wild, speculative no-look passes. And Donaldson, after starting to look the goods, the last two weeks has been dreadful. Aimless kicking, poor passes, passing to players in a worse position than him, no direction for the backs (it's clear Gordon provides that), kick-off out on the full, penalty not going out, missed goal kicks well with in range!!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Individually, Vailanu couldn't hit a barn door with his throws, you can't blame the jumper when the ball is being picked off before it gets to him.

Interesting take.

Every throw was on target. As a unit, the lineout was ponderous and fairly easily read by the opposition. Not enough haste or guile.