• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Stormers, Round 9 2015, Saturday 11 April

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tordah

Dave Cowper (27)
Beale and TPN were woeful. Beale always upright into the tackle and got shoved backwards, TPN's lineout throwing stole all momentum they got from the scrum dominance and the resulting penalty. Thanks for gifting the Stormers a BP :(

ArmchairGeneral

Ward Prentice (10)
Armchairs generals mum quote of the night: "Beale's got a fat ass now. Someone had to replace Weepu for me to pay out". You know it's bad when we reach for the ad hominem.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Fucking ordinary from the Tahs - well done Stormers.
That was the singularly most awful effort for 2 seasons from the Tahs - absolutely flat-footed in all facets, no imagination, no variety against what was a very simple Stormers plan - "we're gonna smash you". Stormers made even less advantage line than Tahs but capitalised well on poor Waratah skills and execution. Cheika needs to tear some bodies some new orifices. Very lacklustre effort and really puts the Tahs way off the pace. They'll struggle to get near the playoffs with that sort of dross.
Beale was plain horrible - no sense of ball security, throwing half-arsed chancers all over the place.
I'd only credit Horne in that match.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
That was absolutely woeful.

Advantage Line < 50%.
17 turnovers - to quote Larkham just not Super Rugby standard.
Lineout - less said the better
Scrum - second half dominance against 1st half loss.

What are the good points from this game for the Tahs? It finished.

They were dire, so dire it cannot be described in anything other than four letter words.

I think my fears about the loss of Douglas and the inadequate coverage of the second row is coming to fruition.

For a supposedly smart attacking side they did the same thing for 80 minutes, there was no variability to their play for all the second waves of runners there were no efforts to commit more than the tackler to the breakdown. The Stormers certainly committed the tackler and the occasionally support. They only went in for the ball when the carrier was isolated already. Why not kick to the wings and chase since they were up so flat? The few kicks they did do were long and not chased.

Just woeful. Lucky that one Australian side is guaranteed a finals place, because after last night and tonight none of them would make it on merit.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
That was absolutely woeful.

Advantage Line < 50%.
17 turnovers - to quote Larkham just not Super Rugby standard.
Lineout - less said the better
Scrum - second half dominance against 1st half loss.

What are the good points from this game for the Tahs? It finished.

They were dire, so dire it cannot be described in anything other than four letter words.

I think my fears about the loss of Douglas and the inadequate coverage of the second row is coming to fruition.

For a supposedly smart attacking side they did the same thing for 80 minutes, there was no variability to their play for all the second waves of runners there were no efforts to commit more than the tackler to the breakdown. The Stormers certainly committed the tackler and the occasionally support. They only went in for the ball when the carrier was isolated already. Why not kick to the wings and chase since they were up so flat? The few kicks they did do were long and not chased.

Just woeful. Lucky that one Australian side is guaranteed a finals place, because after last night and tonight none of them would make it on merit.
What he said. Absofuckinglutely stone-cold motherless bloody execrable. Pissed me off more than any loss in the past 3 years.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Well played Stormers. Those little fellas in their backs are lethal. They know how to use them too.

Tahs had an off night which all teams do but the Stormers did their homework and made it happen. Tahs need a lineout badly. It will keep hurting them.

Congratulations on the win Paarl.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Big game from the Stormers scoring 4 tries with just 28% possession.

Their tackling was immense (118 tackles to 42) and the Waratahs forwards had nothing in contact and looked very static receiving the ball with a few players going backwards quickly when tackled.

Too many mistakes and the Stormers took their chances well.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Fucking ordinary from the Tahs - well done Stormers.
That was the singularly most awful effort for 2 seasons from the Tahs - absolutely flat-footed in all facets, no imagination, no variety against what was a very simple Stormers plan - "we're gonna smash you". Stormers made even less advantage line than Tahs but capitalised well on poor Waratah skills and execution. Cheika needs to tear some bodies some new orifices. Very lacklustre effort and really puts the Tahs way off the pace. They'll struggle to get near the playoffs with that sort of dross.
Beale was plain horrible - no sense of ball security, throwing half-arsed chancers all over the place.
I'd only credit Horne in that match.

Its no secret I've never been a fan, even when he first played for the Tahs, but the upright carries into two or three defenders and getting sat on his arse or back slammed three times intimidated him it seemed to me, he was timid to the line, which gave the defence the upper hand to slam him in the first place, and then he started shuffling to ball to people in worse positions without committing anybody in defence. I had to eat my bumble pie to some extent last year with his contribution to the title undoubted, but this game is the perfect example of what I don't like about his game and why I real really don't want to see him anywhere near 10 or 12 for the Wallabies (if he really must be selected at all).

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
A match which started with such promise and the first try was well executed. After that it was a stop-start, error ridden match in which we didn't have an answer to the flat line rushing defence and physical game that the Stormers brought.

Beale's shortcomings were cruelly exposed (again) tonight. Handling errors, silly passes, ran too high into contact and smashed backwards, kick charged down and on it went.

Foley isn't playing well either - he completely butchered that try with 2 men unmarked outside, kick-off not going 10 metres, some passes behind the man, a couple of forward passes which shouldn't have been thrown. It' a worry for Australian rugby that he's in this form and Quade is out.

The lineout was just not up to this level. The scrum was ok - most of the scrum penalties (both ways) were baffling, but that is elite level rugby these days.

So disappointing - not necessarily to lose, but to play like that.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
A match which started with such promise and the first try was well executed. After that it was a stop-start, error ridden match in which we didn't have an answer to the flat line rushing defence and physical game that the Stormers brought.

Beale's shortcomings were cruelly exposed (again) tonight. Handling errors, silly passes, ran too high into contact and smashed backwards, kick charged down and on it went.

Foley isn't playing well either - he completely butchered that try with 2 men unmarked outside, kick-off not going 10 metres, some passes behind the man, a couple of forward passes which shouldn't have been thrown. It' a worry for Australian rugby that he's in this form and Quade is out.

The lineout was just not up to this level. The scrum was ok - most of the scrum penalties (both ways) were baffling, but that is elite level rugby these days.

So disappointing - not necessarily to lose, but to play like that.
If they play well, and lose I can handle that. They played shit. The Stormers bashed them, but had little else in attack (they made the gain line at a lower % than the Tahs, which says a lot), but took their counter-attack opportunities ruthlessly and fully deserved their 4 tries. Pressure through brutal defence. I'm very disappointed in that effort from the Tahs - just sub-standard application and execution, and just no smart footy on display at all.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Naiyaravoro is fantastic with the ball and little space, but a liability everywhere else. So slow to track back or get across in defence. Would think he'd get exposed at Test level. Great to see him steam roll guys in full flight though.

Tahs attack struggled with the advantage line and their midfield - Beale was very poor, and Foley provided nothing and both made a few crucial errors, with Beale the worse.

Stomers defence was very good, they did their homework on Foley and Beale. Very patient and just ate up guys.

Stormers showed up and the the Tahs didn't.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
In case you were wondering about the crowd booing at the end of the game, Kurtley Beale was named Man of the Match on the Very Big Screen. There was a reaction from those present.

Crowd was just a tad over 17000.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
In case you were wondering about the crowd booing at the end of the game, Kurtley Beale was named Man of the Match on the Very Big Screen. There was a reaction from those present.

Crowd was just a tad over 17000.
You're joking, I assume???

Status
Not open for further replies.