• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Sharks. Sydney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
The Shorks are in trouble all over the park and they aren't even on it yet.

I predict a Bitchslapping (tm)

http://www.keo.co.za/2010/03/01/pienaar-shift-not-the-answer/

Moving Ruan Pienaar to scrumhalf and Andy Goode to flyhalf won’t solve the Sharks’ attacking problems.
One try in three matches. From a side that regularly fields over 10 Springboks, it’s pitiful. And the worst of it all is, the Sharks aren’t creating much either.

Coach John Plumtree is faced with a serious conundrum. He’s stated that Pienaar adds an extra dimension to Rory Kockott at No 9, but with Juan Martin Hernandez in Argentina and Steve Meyer who knows where, Plumtree’s got no one to take advantage of this.

It’s futile to state Goode’s case to start at 10, as the Englishman has none. From third-choice pivot at mid-table Top 14 side Brive, he may only be with the Sharks for their Australasian tour as he has problems with a work permit. He’ll be a short-term ‘fix’, at best. Even if his documentation is sorted, he’ll add little to no value to the Sharks, and if they select him, it will just go to show how desperate they are and will be an indictment on South African rugby.

Plumtree has said Pienaar’s fluent and lengthy passing game will be advantageous to the way the Sharks are trying to play. But against the Crusaders, and at times the Cheetahs, this lateral approach didn’t look like working as they have no variation in attack. The Sharks don’t breach the advantage line often enough, and if they do, it’s from the wrong areas of the field.

With a strong wind at their backs at the AMI Stadium, the Sharks rarely chose to play for territory in the first half. The new law interpretations may favour sides keeping ball in hand, but only when that’s off rare turnover ball or when in opposition territory – the basics of the game haven’t changed.

The Sharks’ backs also won’t have any hope of troubling the Waratahs if their scrum isn’t settled. Again, a conundrum for Plumtree. Bismarck du Plessis was abrasive all over the park against the Saders, but John Smit’s leadership is invaluable. No matter what anyone says or how many stats the Bok coaching staff produce, Smit is getting schooled at virtually every scrum by below-par looseheads such as Sona Taumalolo and Wyatt Crockett.

The scrum is still an attacking platform, and with Smit at tighthead, the Sharks won’t have one. Benn Robinson also awaits this weekend, and if Smit is to play, it will be at hooker.

But that still doesn’t solve the Pienaar problem, as his body language is the most worrying aspect from the last two weekends. He clearly doesn’t want to play flyhalf, even though that’s where his side needs him most. His attitude is somewhat understandable as he’s been messed around by various coaches, but in a team sport, that isn’t good enough, and only Pumtree, Smit and the player himself can sort that out.

Pienaar has coaches from Eddie Jones to Peter de Villiers backing his ability at No 10, but his success in the position starts with believing in himself.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Re: Waratahs vs Fush 'n Chups

I wouldn't be benching Kockott, he has to be one of the Sharks' best players....but given that I am a Tahs supporter I guess it wouldn't bother me too much.

The Waratahs will need to play at least as well as they did against the Bulls if they want to win this one. The Sharks have had a bad start to the season, but they still have great players around the park, and they will be desperate to get a win.

A few things I would like to see from the Waratahs, in addition to the improvements shown against the Bulls:

-Beale and Horne to start at 15 and 13 (again Carter did pretty well, and is a very good option from the bench)
-The backs have to trust the defenders next to them to make their one on one tackles (I was particularly disappointed when Turner opted to go for the inside man instead of focusing on his opposite number)
-maintain the running game without being tempted back to the pointless mid field kick option
-contest defensive lineouts at least some of the time

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Waratah's Polota-Nau in doubt for Super 14 season home debut against Sharks

By Adrian Warren
March 01, 2010

The resilience of NSW Test hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau is being tested with the durable rake in doubt for the Waratahs' Super 14 season home debut against the Sharks on Saturday.

Polota-Nau, who missed only two Super games in his first four seasons, injured his hamstring early on in the loss to the Bulls in Pretoria last Saturday.

The 24-year-old frontrower was headed for a scan on the afflicted area straight after arriving back in Sydney on Monday afternoon.

He was hopeful of playing against the Sharks at the Sydney Football Stadium, but his coach Chris Hickey was waiting until the results of the scan were determined on Tuesday.

"It's a hamstring strain fairly high, we're just not too sure to what extent, there's some doubt there," Hickey said.

"It actually happened quite early in the first half and he found he couldn't really stretch out, so we made the decision at halftime to put Damien Fitzpatrick on and he did a good job for us in the second half."

If Polota-Nau is ruled out against the Sharks, former Australian under-20s and schoolboys captain Fitzpatrick will deputise, with former Force hooker Luke Holmes set to make his Waratahs debut off the bench.

Hickey said Wallabies hooker Adam Freier was still about four weeks away from playing following back surgery, though he had started running this week.

The Waratahs coach was more optimistic about the fitness prospects of Test prop Benn Robinson, who took another shoulder knock against the Bulls.

"We are reasonably confident that will settle down by Saturday," Hickey said of Robinson's injury.

Recently recruited lock Cam Jowitt, who missed the Waratahs' two games in South Africa after suffering an ankle injury in the opening round clash against Queensland, is still another week from returning.

The Waratahs' forward stocks will be boosted by the return from a two-match suspension of Wallabies lock and flanker Dean Mumm.

The versatile forward can play in either the second or back rows, but Hickey was keeping mum about which position the Test star would slot into on Saturday.

Mumm played at blindside flanker against Queensland, but could find himself back in the second row this weekend, with Ben Mowen re-establishing himself in the No. 6 jersey in South Africa.

Hickey said he was unlikely to make any changes outside of ones forced by injuries, as he wanted to develop combinations.

Exciting young centre Rob Horne, who made a cameo return off the bench against the Bulls, following a series of hamstring injuries isn't ready to start yet, according to Hickey.

The coach lavished praise on 20-year-old lock Kane Douglas, who made his first two Super starts after debuting off the bench against Queensland.

"He's a player that's improved over the last 12 months and every time he's been given an opportunity to play he's performed," Hickey said of Douglas.

"It was a big challenge for a 20-year-old matching up against (Bulls skipper and Springbok lock) Victor Matfield, I thought he did great credit to himself."

Hickey said he expected the winless Sharks to provide a big challenge to his side.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)

[/quote]
Hickey said he was unlikely to make any changes outside of ones forced by injuries, as he wanted to develop combinations.
[/quote]

This kind of thing really gets up my nose. OK, Horne isn't up to starting because of his hamstring. But even with the improved performance, they still lost. Is he saying injuries are the main opportunity for improving the line up? Does Hickey really think Anesi is going to improve substantially if given time to "develop combinations"?

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)

it's easier to keep track of statements by hickey that make sense instead of his brain farts.

so far: logical - 0 batshit crazy - gazillion

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

So, do we need a new Scarfy award this year? The Robbie is redundant...clearly now we should be asking "Who's Got a Hickey"??

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)

cyclopath said:
clearly now we should be asking "Who's Got a Hickey"??

Ahhh, some happy teenage memories coming forth from the back of the memory banks.....

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)

fatprop said:
The resilience of NSW Test hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau is being tested with the durable rake in doubt for the Waratahs' Super 14 season home debut against the Sharks on Saturday.

How can the bloke be considered resilient when he seems to miss a lot of matches (mainly tests) through injury?

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)

Aussie D said:
fatprop said:

How can the bloke be considered resilient when he seems to miss a lot of matches (mainly tests) through injury?

You could have also commented on "durable" - same principle.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

So what is the logic of starting Mowen off the bench?

Dennis played well, but ................. he plays a lot tighter and direct.

Does this mean we get the tahs playing play A rugby or plan B?

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member

Maybe Hickey wants to compete with the Shorks.

By that I mean struggle to score 1 try in the match.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)

Do we not remember how many tries Mowen bombed last year? Dennis and Mumm are both capable of roaming wide when required but Id rather see them square up first and let the backs do the stuff out wide.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member

Dean Mumm returns to take on the Sharks

Wallaby midweek captain Dean Mumm returns to the HSBC Waratahs line-up to take on the Sharks in the first home game of the 2010 Super 14 this Saturday at the Sydney Football Stadium.

Mumm is once again eligible to play after serving a two-match suspension and will take his place in the second row alongside rookie Kane Douglas.

Dave Dennis has held down his place in the starting XV after performing well in his first run-on appearance last weekend, shifting from lock to blindside flanker.

Ben Mowen moves from the starting side to take Locky McCaffrey’s place on the bench to cover the three backrow positions.

“It was always going to be a bit of a juggling act to see how Dean would come back into the team,” said Hickey. “It was one of those dilemmas that coaches like to have when a number of players are performing well in their position, and it only adds to the questions when there’s players such as Dave [Dennis] and Mummy who can fill more than one role.

“We know Ben will really give us some good punch at the end like he did in the Queensland game, and certainly everyone on the bench has an important role to play for us on Saturday.”

Despite back-to-back losses, Hickey was reluctant to play around with the line-up too much after last week’s match in Pretoria.

“We’ve learned some valuable lessons from the loss to the Bulls and we certainly have a number of things to work on, however we couldn’t really fault the commitment of anyone in the team last week,” said Hickey. “Combinations are coming together, and the confidence in different combinations when the bench players come on is really encouraging and that makes for a strong squad from 1 to 22.

“We’re confident of turning in a strong performance this weekend for our first home game and hopefully we’ll have a big home crowd to welcome us back to Sydney.”

2010 Super 14 – Round 4
HSBC WARATAHS V SHARKS
Saturday 6 March 2010 (Kick-off 7:40pm AEDT)
Sydney Football Stadium

HSBC WARATAHS
15. Sosene Anesi (TBA)
14. Lachie Turner (Eastwood)
13. Tom Carter (Sydney University)
12. Berrick Barnes (Sydney University)
11. Drew Mitchell (Balmain)
10. Daniel Halangahu (Sydney University)
9. Luke Burgess (Sydney University)
8. Wycliff Palu (Manly)
7. Phil Waugh [c] (Sydney University)
6. Dave Dennis (Sydney University)
5. Kane Douglas (Southern Districts)
4. Dean Mumm (Sydney University)
3. Al Baxter (Northern Suburbs)
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau (Parramatta)
1. Benn Robinson (Eastwood)
Reserves
16. Damien Fitzpatrick (Eastwood)
17. Sekope Kepu (Randwick)
18. Will Caldwell (Sydney University)
19. Ben Mowen (Randwick)
20. Josh Holmes (Warringah)
21. Kurtley Beale (Northern Suburbs)
22. Rob Horne (Southern Districts)

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

I was hoping horne beale or even Nadolo would be in there!... Carter is still in there and for me he's a good bench player but nothing else. Has anyone ever thought about putting Mitchell at 13? I recon he's got the size, speed, n skills for 13.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

16. Damien Fitzpatrick (Eastwood)
17. Sekope Kepu (Randwick)
18. Will Caldwell (Sydney University)
19. Ben Mowen (Randwick)
20. Josh Holmes (Warringah)
21. Kurtley Beale (Northern Suburbs)
22. Rob Horne (Southern Districts)

I always think you can judge sides by their bench, that is pretty solid

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)

fatprop said:
So what is the logic of starting Mowen off the bench?

Dennis played well, but ................. he plays a lot tighter and direct.

Does this mean we get the tahs playing play A rugby or plan B?

I agree, Mowen's been one of the side's best.

My only suggestion re: the move is that he can play as a 'tall' 7, originally played 8 and is an outstanding 6. Which makes him an excellent bench player. Not necessarily a deserved move though.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

Why in fucks name would anyone drop Mowen?

I don't get it.

Resting him perhaps?

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)

i think mowen is still recovering a bit, he has been playing well but i dont think he was anticipated to be back from injury until around this time. mumm being out more or less made him return full time early so i think they may just be letting him rest a b it and im sure he will get plenty of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.