• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well, this is getting a bit Forcical! (hawr hawr)

As much as I don't feel any pity to the Force for what they did to the Reds (somehow, it may even be seen as a positive in the long run), a weak Cheetahs-like Force is no good to Australia rugby. Hopefully the Force can get some decent signings and stay competitive (but lower than the Reds...)

Anyhoo, here's the comings and goings. Please post any updates or rumours below?

Comings (confirmed):
Tim Fairbrother (prop) - Hurricanes
Brett Sheehan (halfback) - Tahs

Comings (rumoured/chasing):
Damian Fitzpatrick (hooker) - Tahs
Tatafu Polota-Nau (hooker) - Tahs
Matt Dunning (prop) - Tahs
Dean Mumm (lock/blindside) - Tahs
Peter Grant (flyhalf) - Stormers
Daniel Halangahu (flyhalf) - Tahs

False coming rumours / players chased missed out on:
Will Caldwell (lock) - Tahs
Berrick Barnes (flyhalf) - Reds
Derick Hougaard (flyhalf) - Leicester

Goings (confirmed):
Tai McIsaac (hooker) - retired (coaching in Japan)
Ben Castle (prop) - Newport Gwent (Wales)
Tamaiti Horua (blindside) - Ulster
Josh Valentine (halfback) - Brumbies
Mat Giteau (flyhalf) - Brumbies
Junior Pelesasa (inside centre) - Japan
Scott Staniforth (utility back) - Japan
Drew Mitchell (fullback/wing) - Tahs

Goings (rumoured):
David Pusey (lock/blindside) - somewhere OS
James O'Connor (inside centre) - Tahs/Brumbies

Players retained / false going rumours:
Tom Hockings (lock)
Richard Stanford (lock/blindside)
Sam Wykes (lock/blindside)
Richard Brown (backrow) - Reds
Nick Cummins (wing)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Re: Comings and goings at the Force

chuck Richard Brown (Reds) under the rumour goings.

Horua is possibly leaving? Shees.

F

formeropenside

Horua has signed with Ulster I hear. A lot of expat Aussies up there. Court, Schif, Ed O'D.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

wasn't Peter Grant a rumoured coming as well?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

seems a little hasty calling him a former Force player:

Castle signs for Dragons
March 27, 2009 - 1:31PM

Former Western Force prop Ben Castle has signed a three-year deal with Celtic League outfit Newport Gwent Dragons.

The ex-Force and Chiefs forward will link-up with the Welsh club in September.

Castle, a former junior All-Black, will be linking up again with compatriot Tom Willis, the Newport captain and a team-mate from their days at the Chiefs, while another Kiwi, Hoani MacDonald, is also now at Newport.

"I am looking forward to joining up with Tom Willis again, who I played alongside in the Chiefs for five years and after playing against Hoani MacDonald numerous times, I am pleased to be playing with him," Castle said.

"I am excited about the direction of the region. There is a great base of players there and I am really looking forward to the season and its successes."

Castle, 29, has been recruited to replace Wales prop Rhys Thomas, who is moving to Newport's rivals Llanelli Scarlets at the end of this season.

AFP

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member

Imperative the Force get Dunning and Freier for next year. A shame SNK took shot his bolt too soon and took the Welsh contract.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member

Noddy said:
seems a little hasty calling him a former Force player:

Castle signs for Dragons
March 27, 2009 - 1:31PM

Former Western Force prop Ben Castle has signed a three-year deal with Celtic League outfit Newport Gwent Dragons.

The ex-Force and Chiefs forward will link-up with the Welsh club in September.

Castle, a former junior All-Black, will be linking up again with compatriot Tom Willis, the Newport captain and a team-mate from their days at the Chiefs, while another Kiwi, Hoani MacDonald, is also now at Newport.

"I am looking forward to joining up with Tom Willis again, who I played alongside in the Chiefs for five years and after playing against Hoani MacDonald numerous times, I am pleased to be playing with him," Castle said.

"I am excited about the direction of the region. There is a great base of players there and I am really looking forward to the season and its successes."

Castle, 29, has been recruited to replace Wales prop Rhys Thomas, who is moving to Newport's rivals Llanelli Scarlets at the end of this season.

AFP

Do you reckon he even unpacked his bags?

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)

I understand Stanny is definitely gone. Would be glad to hear its just a rumour though.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member

Cutter said:
I understand Stanny is definitely gone. Would be glad to hear its just a rumour though.

It's a bit more than a rumour, he's off to Japan this year. Can't blame him, he should cash in at his age as well as getting a gig where he can play 12 every game rather than be shuffled along the backline. Spanner won't find Japanese rugby too difficult.

P

PhucNgo

Ash said:
Well, this is getting a bit Forcical! (hawr hawr)

As much as I don't feel any pity to the Force for what they did to the Reds (somehow, it may even be seen as a positive in the long run), a weak Cheetahs-like Force is no good to Australia rugby. Hopefully the Force can get some decent signings and stay competitive (but lower than the Reds...)

Anyhoo, here's the comings and goings. Please post any updates or rumours below?

Comings (confirmed):
Zip?

Comings (rumoured/chasing):
Tatafu Polota-Nau - Tahs
Matt Dunning - Tahs
Brett Sheehan - Tahs

False coming rumours / players chased missed out on:
Zip so far?

Goings (confirmed):
Mat Giteau - Brumbies
Tai McIsaac - retired (coaching in Japan)

Goings (rumoured):
Tamaiti Horua - Ulster
Drew Mitchell - Reds/Tahs/Brumbies
James O'Connor - Tahs/Brumbies
Scott Staniforth - Japan
Richard Brown - Reds

We live in hope that they'll take the Angry Dwarf off our hands. This guy has a serious orientation problem. For the past two weeks he's not known whether he's coming or going. Hopefully, its going.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)

Thought the rumour mill was weirdly quiet for a few days. The press love to commentate on the Force, rightly or wrongly. Here we go.

PS WTF is happening with Gerrard at the Brumboys?!?!

O'Connor re-signing may hinge on Force bid for former Springbok

By Wayne Smith
March 31, 2009

Western Force are hoping to close a deal with the Stormers' former Springboks five-eighth Peter Grant in an attempt to fight off a Brumbies bid for Wallabies sensation James O'Connor.

Barely a week ago, Force's plans to retain O'Connor hinged on the opportunity the club intended to offer him next season to succeed Matt Giteau in the playmaking role at No.10.

But it quickly became apparent the 18-year-old has thought deeply about his rugby and realises that, like Giteau before him, he needs time to develop as a footballer before stepping into the five-eighth position.

Indeed, if Force insisted on switching O'Connor to five-eighth in 2010, it could have the effect of driving him to the Brumbies, whose chief executive, Andrew Fagan, is anxious to secure him as a replacement for Mark Gerrard at full-back.

But if Force are able to secure Grant as their marquee player, replacing Wales-bound prop Ben Castle, it would mean O'Connor would not be burdened with the responsibility of running the game and could concentrate on refining his skills at full-back or inside centre.

"James might not be the 10," Force chief executive Greg Harris said. "We've been in conversation with Grant for a few weeks and he is fairly interested in coming across. His parents are now living in Perth and he wants to become an Australian."

The 24-year-old Stormers playmaker might be able to become an Australian but he cannot ever become a Wallabies player after having played five Tests for the Springboks.

# Gallery: Great action pics from Super 14 round seven

By contrast, Force's other key targeted overseas recruit, Hurricanes tighthead Tim Fairbrother, has an Australian passport and a move to Perth next year would give him plenty of time to establish himself before Wallabies coach Robbie Deans picks his 2011 World Cup squad.

"Fairbrother has not committed yet but all the indications are that he wants to come to us," said Harris, who also has been chasing New South Wales Test veteran Matt Dunning to bolster his front row.

If Force are able to secure even one of them, it will make the task of luring NSW and Wallabies hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau to Perth a lot easier, although Waratahs coach Chris Hickey has made it clear he regards Polota-Nau's retention as a high priority.

Harris confirmed he also has opened negotiations with a third Waratahs Wallabies player, half-back Brett Sheehan, suggesting to him his chances of challenging Luke Burgess for the Australian No.9 jersey would be a whole lot better as a starting player for Force rather than as Burgess's understudy coming off the bench.

That raises the question of what role Force have in mind for current half-back Josh Valentine, who comes off contract at the end of this season, with Harris admitting he did not know what Valentine's intentions are.

While Force's 2009 season is hanging by a thread, a win over the Queensland Reds at Subiaco Oval on Friday night would keep it alive.

Tim Fairbrother added to rumour comings, Valentine added to rumour goings.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)

Dean Mumm joins the list.

Waratah Dean Mumm attracts the attention of Brumbies and Force

By Bret Harris
March 31, 2009

The rise of Dean Mumm over the past 12 months has not gone unnoticed and both the Brumbies and Western Force are showing strong interest in the New South Wales forward.

After making his Super 14 debut in 2007, Mumm has played in all but one of the Waratahs' matches in the last two and a half years in the second row or at blindside flanker.

He was rewarded with his first Wallabies cap against Ireland last year and has now played in eight Tests.

Mumm, 25, is regarded as one of the senior members of the Waratahs pack and his versatility is making him a prime target for other Super 14 teams.

"I've had a couple of provinces interested," Mumm said. "I suppose if you are playing good rugby, people are going to be interested in you.

"I love the Waratahs and I certainly enjoy playing here, but when these aspects come up, you have to have a look around. You have a look and you formulate a decision from there.

# Gallery: Great action pics from Super 14 round seven

"You give everything consideration. If they show interest in you, it's probably right to reciprocate that. You take everything and you put it on a sheet and work out where you want to go from there. The next couple of weeks I'd like to get it wrapped up."

Mumm has been one of the Waratahs' most consistent performers this season. The team needed him to step up after the departure of veteran Wallabies Dan Vickerman, Rocky Elsom and David Lyons. He has played a valuable role in helping the Waratahs stay in the top four for the first half of the season.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

http://www.heavensgame.com/competit...-horua-joins-ulster-rugby-from-the-force.html

Ulster Rugby has today announced the signing of Tamaiti Horua, from Super 14 side, Western Forces, on a two year contract. Horua will join Ulster in the pre-season.
Save up to 40% at adidas

The 115kg, 1.91m New Zealand born, Melbourne raised blindside flanker, can also play No 8. An experienced, creative and physical back rower, the 26 year old has 42 Super 12/14 caps to date, and made his professional debut in 2002, with the Australian side Brumbies.

The same year, Tamaiti captained the Australian U21 side. He has also played for the Australian U21s in 2001, the Australian U19s in 2000, and more recently Australia A in 2003 and 2005.

Described as a "powerful forward, with clever ball skills," Horua will bring a great dept to the Ulster backrow for the 09/10 season.

well, personally, I'm disappointed. This supports FOS's assertion that the 5th S15 team is useless unless we can compete financially with OS. Horua isn't leaving because he wasn't getting an opportunity. He's leaving for money. Although...has he played Australia A yet? Does he have Samoan or anything in him? Perhaps he's aiming for the RWC?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

the gambler said:
Read your quote Noddy ??? :p

then its just for the money.

And I just showed that not even I read my stuff.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf

Doesn't playing for Australia A (semiors, 15-man) disqualify him for any other nation anyway?

There is a real issue here: players are saying that as soon as they get the nod that they won't play for the Wallabies, they'll take the highest bidder in Europe / Japan.

So, playing for NSW / QLD no longer means much to these people. It's just a franchise, like Bayonne or Ulster.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)

Exactly Scarfie... Just look at the number of internal movements in the last few years. Fava, Gits, Morgs etc etc. They are not state teams but super franchises. No loyalty or sense of duty exists.

Having said that I still think some of the suggestions are straight out of the League "I'm off contract so lets create some offers to up my value" school of player management. Would be very surprised to see a player like Mumm leave the Waratahs

Status
Not open for further replies.