• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2020

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
1 Chris Heiberg 2 Andrew Ready 3 Greg Holmes 4 Ollie Atkins 5 Fergus Lee-Warner 6 Tevin Ferris 7 Chris Alcock 8 Brynard Stander 9 Ian Prior [c] 10 Jono Lance 11 Byron Ralston 12 Nick Jooste 13 Kyle Godwin 14 Jonah Placid 15 Jack McGregor
16 Heath Tessmann 17 Tom Sheminant 18 Kieran Longbottom 19 Jeremy Thrush 20 Henry Stowers 21 Jacob Abel 22 Henry Taefu 23 Pama Fou

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
1 Chris Heiberg 2 Andrew Ready 3 Greg Holmes 4 Ollie Atkins 5 Fergus Lee-Warner 6 Tevin Ferris 7 Chris Alcock 8 Brynard Stander 9 Ian Prior [c] 10 Jono Lance 11 Byron Ralston 12 Nick Jooste 13 Kyle Godwin 14 Jonah Placid 15 Jack McGregor
16 Heath Tessmann 17 Tom Sheminant 18 Kieran Longbottom 19 Jeremy Thrush 20 Henry Stowers 21 Jacob Abel 22 Henry Taefu 23 Pama Fou

That side will be more competitive than many here seem to think. Especially keen to see how FL-W, Ferris and Stander play at Super level.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I was very impressed with Jordan Luke in the NRC. Kane is a long time quality Force player.

Not convinced more wingers and backrowers is what they need though

chiraag

Larry Dwyer (12)
I was very impressed with Jordan Luke in the NRC. Kane is a long time quality Force player.

Not convinced more wingers and backrowers is what they need though

Where do you think the deficiencies in the squad are Reg? Actually think we're looking good enough in all positions now.
My main concerns were prop and flyhalf, which have been bolstered by Holmes and Lance.
Scrumhalf is perhaps the only other concern I have if Prior happens to get injured. However I think the backups in Abel and O'Sullivan would be serviceable enough.
Wing is perhaps the other concern with Placid being injured, so good to get a bit more cover there as well.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Where do you think the deficiencies in the squad are Reg? Actually think we're looking good enough in all positions now.
My main concerns were prop and flyhalf, which have been bolstered by Holmes and Lance.
Scrumhalf is perhaps the only other concern I have if Prior happens to get injured. However I think the backups in Abel and O'Sullivan would be serviceable enough.
Wing is perhaps the other concern with Placid being injured, so good to get a bit more cover there as well.

I think lock and scrumhalf are the standout areas. But agree you are short in the front row too. Didn't realise Placid was out but some good capable players there in Ralston, Luke, Brache at a pinch, Lacey.

Lance, Jooste and Godwin make the start of a decent 3/4 line (with all capable of playing back up ten). Teafu from the bench is a good back up (and another 10 option).

Lock just doesn't have the players who can challenge with Blyth, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Holloway, Simmons, Swain, Philip. That's why Hockings and/or Rodda could have been so good for them.

Prior is great at 9, but back up depth isn't really there with Fines and MacDonald in the east.

The props are serviceable. Holmes and Longbottom basically share a role at THP and then you just need to get the best out of one of the other serviceable options. Ready has the potential to be the man, but it's been a while since we've seen it (albeit there were glimpses in NRC)

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
For what it's worth Jacob Abel can definitely play. The best defensive half back in the Shute Shield last year by a mile. Otherwise if your still short Harrison Goddard is around in Sydney.

chiraag

Larry Dwyer (12)
It might be my blue tinted glasses, but I rate Bardoul and Lee-Warner at lock. They've had time to learn off Thrush now as well, so between the 2 of them, Thrush and Atkins I don't think lock is a major area of concern.

Loosehead is probably the biggest worry. From memory both K-Bomb and Holmes can play both sides, but I think you'd want them to just share the tighthead duties.

We've got good depth at Hooker also with Tessman (who's getting a bit old, but was still great last year), Ready and Kaitu'u. Any of those 3 will be unlucky to miss out on match day.

So overall, I think the squad is looking good and while we might be a bit below the other sides in most positions we'll almost certainly be competitive. I don't think we want to parachute in too many players for this one-off year. GRR is still a better long term prospect than relying on the broken Super Rugby competition and a RugbyAU that will be lucky to stay solvent in the next few years (especially when the World Rugby loan needs to be paid back). So prefer to give guys that will be sticking around the Force next year and beyond as much game time as possible.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
The Force has front rowers and a forward pack that can hold its own against most opposition.
Much of this is due to the ongoing involvement of Michael Foley - one of the best scrum coaches in Australia.
It's all about working as a unit on each play and building a cohesive unit.
The Loose Heads bring the added benefit of mobility - a strong focus of the GRR style of play.
The Locks will hold their own.
The Back Rowers as good as any.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
It might be my blue tinted glasses, but I rate Bardoul and Lee-Warner at lock. They've had time to learn off Thrush now as well, so between the 2 of them, Thrush and Atkins I don't think lock is a major area of concern.

Loosehead is probably the biggest worry. From memory both K-Bomb and Holmes can play both sides, but I think you'd want them to just share the tighthead duties.

We've got good depth at Hooker also with Tessman (who's getting a bit old, but was still great last year), Ready and Kaitu'u. Any of those 3 will be unlucky to miss out on match day.

So overall, I think the squad is looking good and while we might be a bit below the other sides in most positions we'll almost certainly be competitive. I don't think we want to parachute in too many players for this one-off year. GRR is still a better long term prospect than relying on the broken Super Rugby competition and a RugbyAU that will be lucky to stay solvent in the next few years (especially when the World Rugby loan needs to be paid back). So prefer to give guys that will be sticking around the Force next year and beyond as much game time as possible.

The dialogue from Tim Sampson is more aligned with positive response to messages of force involvement in a trans Tasman super rugby competition so not sure yours and his views quite aligned here on where force preferences are.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Godwin only back for the Super Rugby season apparently. Then off to the Tahs for Super Rugby next year (whatever the format)

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Former Wallabies prop Greg Holmes and is hoping to recreate his favourite Rugby memory

Nick Taylor - The West Australian - Saturday, 20 June 2020
New Western Force prop Greg Holmes has fond memories of Perth after scoring his unforgettable first international try at Subiaco Oval. In 2006 the then Queensland Red picked up the ball at the back of a ruck and raced 60 metres to score the try that went down in front row club history in the Wallabies 37-15 win over Ireland.
He was lured to the Force from English Premiership heavyweight Exeter, where he has spent the past two seasons, by coach Tim Sampson and his forwards assistant Van Humphries. He played with Sampson at Brisbane club Sunnybank and for Queensland ‘A’ and Super Rugby with Humphries at the Reds.
Now, one week into his 14-day quarantine Holmes, who has 27 Wallaby appearances and played 144 games for the Reds, still can’t believe he is back in top flight Australian rugby.
“I said for years I’d probably never get the chance to play at this level in Australia again. The only footy I thought I’d get to play would be back at Sunnybank,” Holmes said.
“But Tim rang up and asked what I was doing. With the coronavirus we were spinning our wheels a bit at Exeter.
“Nothing was really happening, my visa was coming to an end, I didn’t know whether I could extend it to finish the season.
“I’ve got a lot of time for Tim and Van, the timing was perfect and I jumped. It will be interesting to see them as coaches.”
Holmes’ experience will be crucial to the Force in the new Australian Super Rugby competition and although signing for just for one season is leaving the door to the future open.
“This was a bit of a surprise but I’ve kept myself in reasonable nick and I’m almost ready to go,” he said.
“If something comes on the back of it, we’ll see where we go but at the moment it’s just good to be back in Australia.
“I’m hoping to add my little bit at the Force and to help some of the younger guys.
“I expect this competition to be quicker than the northern hemisphere game but I’ll adapt.
“I’m sure there will be some bits and pieces I can help with. I’ve had a chat with Tim about a few ideas from Exeter where they do things a bit differently.
Holmes admits playing against the Reds for the first time will be a strange experience. And will Force fans get to see another 60-metre breakaway try?
“It was 100 metres wasn’t it,” he joked.
“That was a while ago when I was a young fellow. I don’t think I’ll be doing it again in a hurry.”