• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2022

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
I really like the Force, am glad they're back in the comp, and wish them all the best as it's great for Australian rugby, but whenever I enter this thread I feel like half the content is written by a slicked up Force PR spin man.

Maybe it is just a sign that Force fans are pumped about the new season and excited about all our new players and what they have to offer. I am sure the Waratahs forum is a lot more depressing because they know they are going to be sh1t whereas Force fans have higher expectations and more unknown possibilities.

The reds won the comp so don't need to make wholesale changes to their squad whereas the Force finished 3rd and want to do better.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Maybe it is just a sign that Force fans are pumped about the new season and excited about all our new players and what they have to offer. I am sure the Waratahs forum is a lot more depressing because they know they are going to be sh1t whereas Force fans have higher expectations and more unknown possibilities.

The reds won the comp so don't need to make wholesale changes to their squad whereas the Force finished 3rd and want to do better.

yeah, I get that. Just seems at odds with the statement that the players loved the cohesion in the squad...

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Well McGowan has changed the rules again and the hard border will be extended. Looks like Force will have to base themselves on the east coast for the first few weeks of the season at least.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well McGowan has changed the rules again and the hard border will be extended. Looks like Force will have to base themselves on the east coast for the first few weeks of the season at least.
The ongoing challenges of Covid. Something just going to have to accept. More so plan for contingencies. This would have to include flexibility to draw on pool of players (which may include non force players) should Covid hit squads.

SteveWA

Charlie Fox (21)
The Fan Day / Internal Trial Game yesterday was a lot of fun, in spite of the 38c temp. Hard to judge the number there given the weather and the good club facilities at Wanneroo but it was a decent turn out.

The rugby was good, even intense at times, with lots of exciting play and some surprisingly willing defence. And the kids enjoyed catching up with their heroes after the game.

All in all a great day and (like most of you on G&GR) I can't wait for the season to start, no matter what that will bring.

Steve (currently detained in the world's nicest outdoor prison)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Great stuff Steve. Saw some photos on line and it looked a great day. Any ideas what the injury situation for the Force is? Any concerns?

SteveWA

Charlie Fox (21)
Only a few not involved in the game. Some of the Wallabies were rested, and a few that are recovering from long term injuries like Bayley Kuenzle warmed up but didn't play. Also, quite a few from the Academy played and didn't look out of place, so the depth is definitely better than last year. Overall I'd say the team is in a good position for this time of the year.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
The Fan Day / Internal Trial Game yesterday was a lot of fun, in spite of the 38c temp. Hard to judge the number there given the weather and the good club facilities at Wanneroo but it was a decent turn out.

The rugby was good, even intense at times, with lots of exciting play and some surprisingly willing defence. And the kids enjoyed catching up with their heroes after the game.

All in all a great day and (like most of you on G&GR) I can't wait for the season to start, no matter what that will bring.

Steve (currently detained in the world's nicest outdoor prison)
Great stuff.

Tazzmania

Tom Lawton (22)
Fan Day was a good outing, however it was very hot.

Like SteveWa said the hit out was good just to see the boys in some sort of action.

Had a quick word with Tim Sampson and he said the team are chomping at the bit for the season to start. He was full of praise for Manasa Matele, from his skill level to the leadership role he is taking in the team to just being an all round nice guy. Was lucky enough to have a quick word and photo with Manasa at the end of the session too and it backed up what Tim had said.

Hit out hard to place much on what was happening, however Fergus Lee Warner looks like he has not skipped a beat from last year and will hopefully build again on a good year. One or two of the development guys look to have a lot of potential and size too. Fines, Pasitoa and Matele really seems to be the next level players we have been looking for. From the glimses we had Daniel Alla looks a good buy too. Very pleased to see young Byron Ralston back in the thick of it again.

As always it was good to see Kahuii and Holmes joining the hit out and looking in good shape.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
was there much pure positional work? I guess from my perspective, fullback is a big question mark (as it is for the Wallabies). Did Ralston get any time there? I'd be very interested to see him back there.

Tazzmania

Tom Lawton (22)
Now that you mention it I cannot remember who filled the two fullback positions, Age catching up with me. I think one side was Staughn not sure the other.

Ralston played at outside centre.

I also think Tapine took an early head knock in the first minute and did not part take in the rest of the session

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Now that you mention it I cannot remember who filled the two fullback positions, Age catching up with me. I think one side was Staughn not sure the other.

I also think Tapine took an early head knock in the first minute and did not part take in the rest of the session
I'd think that Strachan and McGregor are the FB options

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
which is uninspiring. Byron Ralston played there at school, admittedly a few years ago now, so I'd love to see him get a gig. Opens up the wing spots for Pulu and Matele too.

SteveWA

Charlie Fox (21)
I wasn't paying close attention, but my impression was a number of positions were rotated - both within and between teams. I did on a few occasions think "who is that playing fullback?" though.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Interesting if Ralston played at outside centre as with TK gone and Kahui in his twilight years depth in centres is something to solve. Be interesting who plays at centre during the year beyond godwin.