• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

What do you want in a RA Streaming Service

What is the minimum you want on a RA streaming service to get your $$

• Premier Rugby (SS, Qld + what ever other state can film some games)

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Australian only Pro Comp plus Premier Rugby

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Trans Tasman Pro Comp plus Premier Rugby

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Australian Only Pro Comp + NZ pro comp + Premier Rugby

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Whatever Comp Aussie Pro + Non-Europe Pro Comps + Premier Rugby

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Whatever Comp Aussie Pro + Europe Pro Comps + Premier Rugby

• Whatever Comp Aussie Pro + Europe and Non-Europe Pro Comps + Premier Rugby

• Whatever Comp Aussie Pro + Aussie Tests + Premier Rugby

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • If someone has a broadcast game it is on here

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • Australian only Pro Comp plus GRR plus Premier Rugby

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
A RA streaming service keeps getting mentioned in various threads - but what would people actually be willing to part with their cash for?

Hit up the poll with the minimum product you would pay for and post below how much you can convince your accountant (read partner in life) it is worth.

For me at a minimum it would need all of AU rugby included - Whatever and Aussie Pro comp looks like, Premier Rugby, Probably Sevens and ALL AU tests.

I think I could justify $10 a month for that. I payed more for Kayo - but that did have other sports on there.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'd want more than just game content. I'd love for things like "The ONLY Rugby Show" "The Rugby Nation" or even some of the podcast to be turned into shows (like Pillar to Post but for them to focus on their niche QPR).

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Think you're off the mark there. It'll have to be priced higher than that.

I'd be happy to pay $30 a month for Wallabies, NRC, Super, knowing it's going straight to Rugby in Aus.

Same. I'd also look to give a reason (content/gifts whatever the marketing people can work that out) for people to pay annually.

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)

I'd be happy to pay $30 a month for Wallabies, NRC, Super, knowing it's going straight to Rugby in Aus.

Question of viable vs what the market will pay.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
RA are content providers and the sports aggregators are losing their buying power, I don't see another option in the medium term

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I'd want more than just game content. I'd love for things like "The ONLY Rugby Show" "The Rugby Nation" or even some of the podcast to be turned into shows (like Pillar to Post but for them to focus on their niche QPR).

great thing re a good streaming product for Aust rugby (IMO a crucial part of saving it) is that it can be blended and strengthened by, eg, podcasts and vodcasts, amateur video infills, real time interviews, live stats, AR (soon to come), whatever as the delivery mechanism is so flexible, low cost and multi-device

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

We know that, by and large, the passionate Aust rugby followers clan (reduced as they are) are broadly AB demos and not massively price sensitive if the product is good enough (look at the $s we pay for Wallaby Test tickets).

As I've said elsewhere - if the product is right and we have today c. ave 60,000+ Super Foxtel viewers per game and c. ave 40,000 +_ live attendees per Test, there is a market size of at least 100,000 committed followers* who'd pay at least $30 pm for a really good Aust-focussed rugby streaming product. The key is that the product has to be good and marketed f-ing well too. Another Fox Sports-like deadly dull production on streams and their execrable, hopeless commentators - forget it.

That's a $36m pa income line potential out there if RA could get creative, innovative, bold and gutsy (at long last).

(*I'm not just adding them up as some overlap of course but rather allowing for, in each case, hard core rugby fans that watch just some games and not all and go to some Tests and not all.)

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
Someone in another thread cited the various pay tiers with the NBA Pass system. I’d pay plenty for the platinum product but a lower cost option may be great for the more casual fan.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I would prefer a $10 a month fee with RA controlling all of the content. The streaming service would have pre-game, post-game and other rugby content including panel discussions, coaching programs for players to learn from, programs about refereeing and becoming a coach and rugby podcasts to be simulcast. It would have all Australian games and tournaments we play in.

RA would produce all content and then on sell it to other networks with only the game broadcast. If you want the pre and post game, then you subscribe. Adverts on the ground promoting the streaming service so when it is viewed on other networks it can get more subscribers.

I would also offer promos where when you buy a membership fora team you get free subscription etc

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I would prefer a $10 a month fee with RA controlling all of the content. The streaming service would have pre-game, post-game and other rugby content including panel discussions, coaching programs for players to learn from, programs about refereeing and becoming a coach and rugby podcasts to be simulcast. It would have all Australian games and tournaments we play in.

RA would produce all content and then on sell it to other networks with only the game broadcast. If you want the pre and post game, then you subscribe. Adverts on the ground promoting the streaming service so when it is viewed on other networks it can get more subscribers.

I would also offer promos where when you buy a membership fora team you get free subscription etc

Only $10/month would likely not enough to make such a platform viable.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
great thing re a good streaming product for Aust rugby (IMO a crucial part of saving it) is that it can be blended and strengthened by, eg, podcasts and vodcasts, amateur video infills, real time interviews, live stats, AR (soon to come), whatever as the delivery mechanism is so flexible, low cost and multi-device

There's n awful lot that can be included in which to provide a richer experience to subscribers. If you provided me with a platform that had all of the Australian Rugby content from club, a NCC, NRC, Pro Comp and Wallabies I'd be fairly happy. But if you could also add exclusive content in the form of some or all of what you suggest then I'd be happy to pay $50/month easily enough. Add in NZ Rugby, Top League, MLR etc. and I'd be very happy.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I’ll pay $50 assuming it’s going straight back to Aussie rugby

100%! This is precisely one of the streaming concept's marketing and value proposition attractions. Half the marketing messaging would be, truthfully '.....your $s are going direct to fund our investments in Aust rugby.....'.

(NB: This assumes the message has identifiable integrity and is not seen by punters to be going off to extravagant RA overheads etc as is the case today.)