• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

What if Rodzilla comes of the bench and destroys our scrum

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Spook

Red faces all round? :-[ Part of me wants it to happen for some reason . >:D

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Unlikely, Blake has never been much of a scrummager, he is about as good as Dunning at THP (both use strength and size instead of technique) and unless he has lost at least 10 kg he will be still off the pace.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
What if my time for 100m drops 8 seconds and I get a call up for the centres and with 10 seconds to go I score a try on the sideline but we're 1 point down and I have to kick for goal and it's OVER!! :yay :yay

:-[

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
But seriously, if he did, I would blame McM. How can someone so big be so useless? The scrum was split wide open again when he was there.

F

formeropenside

Spook said:
Red faces all round? :-[ Part of me wants it to happen for some reason . >:D

Well, looks like this happened after all. Silly ARU.

T

TOCC

Scarfman said:
But seriously, if he did, I would blame McM. How can someone so big be so useless? The scrum was split wide open again when he was there.
i dont see how you can blame MMM, just because he seems to be there when it happens doesnt mean its his fault, it could have had something to do with having a inexperienced front row up some pretty good scrummagers. TPN isnt known for his great scrummaging, and Kepu is still to fresh to be good, and well dunning is dunning..

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
TOCC said:
Scarfman said:
i dont see how you can blame MMM, just because he seems to be there when it happens doesnt mean its his fault, it could have had something to do with having a inexperienced front row up some pretty good scrummagers. TPN isnt known for his great scrummaging, and Kepu is still to fresh to be good, and well dunning is dunning..

He posted that beforehand based on prior results.

Funnily enough, as FOS said, it happened. Blake hammered Dunning. And MMM had nothing to do with it. But I also bet Blake wanted it a lot more than Dunning, and I'd like to think that Dunning is far from the best tighthead we have. Well, that's what I like to think anyway.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It was one scrum that went wrong, the rest were fine.

It was more about concentration

R

rugbywhisperer

fatprop said:

Are you insinuating that generally Dunning has the capacity to concentrate?

F

formeropenside

rugbywhisperer said:
fatprop said:

Are you insinuating that generally Dunning has the capacity to concentrate?

Dunning admitted he had a problem with it himself in a rugbyheaven article a few months back.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Furthermore, have a look at this photo:

mattdunning_wideweb__470x271,0.jpg

Rodzilla didn't beat Dunning by himself - if at all. Big lumps like him (I noticed he was still fat) should be tightheads. He had other opportunities from loosehead to destroy Dunning but didn't. Maybe in a few years time when he's learned something. I'd still back Benn Robinson at loosehead to snap with Blake at tighthead, given a relatively equal forward pack behind each.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
NTA said:
Rodzilla didn't beat Dunning by himself - if at all. Big lumps like him (I noticed he was still fat) should be tightheads. He had other opportunities from loosehead to destroy Dunning but didn't. Maybe in a few years time when he's learned something. I'd still back Benn Robinson at loosehead to snap with Blake at tighthead, given a relatively equal forward pack behind each.

Just because Blake didn't beat Dunning every scrum doesn't mean he deserves credit for that scrum. That's simply being apologist, when we all know Dunning has admitted problems with concentration. Props can be steady for 9 scrums of 10 and get wheeled / driven back on the 10th - and because they were steady for 9 doesn't mean they should not get blamed on the 10th.

Plus, that picture simply means some scrums tore up the turf. You need to look at the exact ground right after Dunning wheeled to tell if the ground gave way - which I doubt as if it did the scrum probably wouldn't have wheeled like that, and I don't recall the ground being churned after the wheeled scrum. But I'll watch again tonight anyway.

F

formeropenside

NTA said:

And I'd rather have Blake as THP rather than Baxter, but thats all academic for a few years now anyway.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
formeropenside said:
NTA said:

And I'd rather have Blake as THP rather than Baxter, but thats all academic for a few years now anyway.

Blake would be fine for 20mins, then he runs out of puff and there are big holes around him. His workrate is absolute rubbish.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Ash said:
This looks good for the Tahs, from the article you linked:
"If things go well, Cliff will have a six-week rehabilitation period and be back on deck after Christmas," Hickey said.

good news "If things go well" otherwise he has wasted 6 weeks and will still require the reconstruction.

Status
Not open for further replies.