• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

What is wrong with our attack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think coaches ability is a little more then 10%. making players play out of position is mainly coaches fault. Probably 80% coaches fault, 20% players fault. If u play them out of postion u have to be able to coach them to do the right thing in those new positions which deans has not done. Players however should be standing up and demanding to be played in certian postions. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) should be fighting for one spot instead of saying "i dont care, i'll play anywhere". Same with berrick, JOC (James O'Connor), QC (Quade Cooper). The only player doing it is Giteau, he's demanding to play 10 n getting his way, only problem is he's shit at it. This is where deans needs to put him straight. We also need other players to put pressure on gits. Deans i think has made players to scared of losing their positions in the wallabies side. The only time players should feel scared of losing their positions is from healthy inside competition from other players in their rightful positions. In the wallabies case i think its 50% players 50% coach.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
louie said:
rugbywhisperer said:
Gees, this is starting to bring back memories of Greg Smith.
oh god don't remind us

Hey come on, fellas, that's a bit tough. Greg wasn't at his best during those two years coaching the Wallabies.

R

rugbywhisperer

Still did some very scary stuff though. Caused immense lack of confidence in all players - no one knew what was happening.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
rugbywhisperer said:
Still did some very scary stuff though. Caused immense lack of confidence in all players - no one knew what was happening.

Neither did Greg. His Wallaby stewardship was affected by an undetected brain tumour from which he died shortly after getting the boot.

I think we should cut Smith's memory a bit of slack.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Lindommer is right - the poor bastard was clearly suffering in hindsight. RIP.

On the other hand, it does make me ask some of the prize idiots at my work if they're suffering a similar condition. I'm unpopular as a result, but they usually go to the doctor shortly thereafter so I'd like to think I'm performing a community service.

As to what is wrong with our attack: firstly I think the players don't always take what the coach says on board. Secondly: Matt Giteau.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
NTA said:
Lindommer is right - the poor bastard was clearly suffering in hindsight. RIP.
As to what is wrong with our attack: firstly I think the players don't always take what the coach says on board. Secondly: Matt Giteau.

put both points together and you have matts problem in one.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Cutter said:
Thomond78 said:
Aussie D said:
I disagree with Eddie's assertion that "you can't beat players on the outside playing traditional rugby" (to paraphrase) as traditionally there was plenty of running off the ball and defence confused but these days it is all about the individual.

I'd also disagree with it; France, Ireland and others have managed successfully to do just that, as on occasions did SA in the Lions game and as did Wales at times in 2008 (their creativity has gone markedly backwards, btw).

The big thing for me is teams that can do that all seem to have a full-back who's dangerous coming into the line and who can hold the midfield up as the outside man drifts out, or even slot in their themselves. Comments?

Agreed. That's what ROG was trying to do with the first play of the Ire v Aus test when BOD spilled the ball.

Which, in passing, was the right thing to do. By the end of that game, it'd have come off every time. Was just a classic example of rustiness; BOD was to some extent watching the defender, because he hadn't done that with a proper defender there in ages. Shit happens, but better to try it and see than not bothering at all, as we would have under the Coodercide.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Yep, it was a good move. Only resulted in a try to Oz because BOD was worried he was about to be massacred by Ioane.

Running Rugby

Sydney Middleton (9)
My first post and an opinion on the Aussie back line.
First of all I think our attack is struggling because of the game plans and structures we have in place. Our players still seem unsure and not committed to the systems. Attack is a balance of backs and forwards and many times these units are not combining well.
Looking just at the backs by position my observations are:
halfback- Genia is a great find and the halfback for the future but his combination with Gits is still developing. We are still seeing the clearance from the breakdown slowed by this lack of combination. This could be due to a lack of communication, poor positioning by the first receiver and or the Wallabies structure in attack.
For the future Genia is the best option but I would like to see continued work on his running game and organisational skills (especially of the forwards)
5/8- Gits is struggling. Too often when he is under pressure he is getting too deep and hidden in the pocket, he then kicks aimlessly or when in an attacking position he runs himself. You can see a lack of confidence in his two centres and I think this is an area where he is missing Mortlock. Maybe Mortlock's time is up but Giteau relies on him for that strong crash ball to get out of trouble when under pressure.
Centres- I am not convinced that Cooper or Diggers (and certainly not cross) are the right men for these jobs. You can see Dean's thinking here believing we need a second play maker in Cooper and a hard running centre in Ioane and his theory is probably right but.....
I believe the primary role for the 13 is to set up his outside men. How many times on this tour have our wingers or fullback received the ball outside the centres. Not many I can recall at all.
Ioane is a good hard running player, but far more suited to the role of wing where he can come into the line through many different holes. His hard running will be most beneficial here as well because he is not the traditional crash ball style but regularly uses his power to beat men through changes of running direction.
Cooper is a developing footballer who I believe is the ultimate impact sub. A 12's most important role is straightening the attack. Cooper still has the 5/8's tendency to drift and this is multiplying Gits poor positioning and across field running.
Fullback- Ashley- Cooper runs hard but does not come into the line as an impact or strike runner regularly enough. This maybe due to the centres but a more experienced fullback would demand more ball here.
His positioning is Ok but I'm not sure fullback is his future.
Wings- Not really worth mentioning. They are getting no where near enough all in attack.
I believe our support play is really poor. Support normally is a great reflection on enthusiasm and normally is a true measure of players commitment.
Anyway long first post so my last comments.
For the future I think Barnes must play 10 and play a strong organisational role. It is a shame he left QLD because developing a combination with Genia would be beneficial. Gits is a 12, he is still a talisman but need to improve like everybody else to keep his place. 13 is wide open I would like to see Ashley Cooper and Horne get a run here next year. Fullback is a problem and it is time to find our best option here. Ioane should be on one wing and some one with a good kicking game and some finishing ability on the other. (We can only dream).

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
how bout this for a backline next year

9. Genia
10. Barnes
11. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
12. Giteau
13. Mortlock
14. Ioane
15. Shepard

Dont think anyone will be getting throught that defence with ease. Lots of hard runners, barnes is always solid. Sounds bloody good to me. (Dont know why ppl have been ruling mortlock out, a 50% in form mortlock is still better then cross)

Scotty

David Codey (61)
What I wouldn't give for Ioane to have a good kicking game. I think he that could make him the ultimate fullback for us and allow AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to go to 13.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
PS Welcome to running rugby. Good (and big) first post!

Seb V,

Not sure if everyone is counting out Mortlock, but many are questioning his ability to continue, relatively uninjured, to the 2011 RWC. We have to get the likes of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Ioane and even Horne in there to work out which is the best going forward.

J

junior

Scotty said:
Yep, it was a good move. Only resulted in a try to Oz because BOD was worried he was about to be massacred by Ioane.
If he'd let the ball go and fall into Kearney's hands, Aus may very well have been in the poop.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
It would be nice for Robbie and the boys to acknowledge our help in fixing the attack. Just a thanks is all it would take.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Seb V said:
how bout this for a backline next year

9. Genia
10. Barnes
11. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
12. Giteau
13. Mortlock
14. Ioane
15. Shepard

Dont think anyone will be getting throught that defence with ease. Lots of hard runners, barnes is always solid. Sounds bloody good to me. (Dont know why ppl have been ruling mortlock out, a 50% in form mortlock is still better then cross)

Mortlocck is a step backwards, unless he turns around an obviously ailing career.

With the view on 2011, Digby needs to play as much as possible 13.

Hynes got back to form. Best 14.

Status
Not open for further replies.