• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

What is wrong with the Tahs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
Why do the Tahs consistently fail to fulfill expectations year after year, even if their playing roster includes many wallabies and they represent one of the largest rugby talent pools in the country?
Is it "soft" coaching (e.g. inability to bench out-of-form stars and take hard decisions)?
Is it politics?
Is it incompetence by the administration?
Do injuries justify another poor season?
Does the rugby program needs to change?
What needs to be done to get this team back on the right track?
Complex situation.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
They look to me like a team without a unified plan this year. Plans would be tough to implement though with a different team every week. I think injuries have just killed them.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Perhaps start with a read of Gnostic's multiple posts on the theme of 'the tragedy of the modern Tahs'.

The Tahs traditionalists here absolutely loath and resist that analysis, but, sure as eggs, every match, every season, Gnostic's penetrating analysis of the Waratahs' culture and system looks more and more spot on.

What's notable to me this year is that so many Tahs' followers seem to have admitted a kind of permanent defeat and are just grateful for the occasional win, the 'good effort in attack', the reassuring evergreen praise of Tahs' forwards....the anger has gone, the dream is over, they're happy with a solid old Holden that drives (mostly) OK, and all talk of a Ferrari one day is consigned to a fond though distant memory. The Tahs system has finally swallowed them up and all are one.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I reckon the supporters who know best what we're going through are the Hurricanes'. They have a side capable of winning Super Rugby every year and yet they generally come about 3rd to 8th, like the Tahs. It has to be cultural.

And if the Canes get their shit together and win it this year I'll be really depressed.

Juan Cote

Syd Malcolm (24)
I think a fair bit of what is wrong with the Tahs can be traced back to the fawning Sydney media. Case in point the claims by Harris in the Oz today that the Tahs were the better team, and the SMH's claim that they can still make the finals, feed the propaganda which means the Tahs can deny they have serious problems.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
The tahs seem to be the epitome of a professional rugby team. As in, all their players are doing it for the job. With very little exception, there is absolutely no heart in it anymore. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Mitchell, elsom, Palu, Barnes, all good players, but not one would call the tahs their passion or their pride. They play for money, and when you do that it's no longer about the team, but about justification and maintenance of your position.

W

Waylon

The Tahs have had some injuries in the backs. That has caused disruptions and affected ability to score points.

Excuses over.

When you have the strongest Union, a fantastic stadium, a strong sponsor base ie everything in your favour, the problem lies in culture.

They miss the vital ingredient that creates a synergy that great teams muster to overcome all odds........team work.

A champion team will usually prevail against a team of big name individuals.

Team work creates a synergy that cannot be measured. It is exponential. Team work builds a belief and an expectation of winning and it builds trust in the players inside and out to perform their role so that you just have to worry about doing yours well.

Every player needs to understand their role and the team objective in every circumstance.

There is no doubt the talent exists in NSW. The place needs a broom from the top.

The Bulls won the contest yesterday in the first 6 minutes when the waratahs threw everything at them. The Bulls conjured up every bit of courage, strength, will, commitment, determination within themselves for the players next to them. They understood the game situation and what each member must do when camped on their own line and they trusted each other and overcame tremendous odds......... unity and teamwork. It was also a microcosm of their culture

contrast this with the last 5 minutes when the waratahs meekly let one man burrow through from 3 meters out when the game was on the line.

The effort on the defensive line in the last few minutes yesterday with the waratahs season on the line is why they haven't won titles

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
what? since (say) 1985?

this is what kills the Tahs.
Every year is actually different but the Tahs are judged collectively and negatively upon the cradle of underperformance that comes from a decade of high expectations. They are a consistently good side that has been unable to get over the line on a few occasions that they got very close, beaten both times by one of the best provincial sides of all time, but that is irrelevant.

brums fans point to the fact that the Tahs have "so many wallabies" but fail to win, yet as a club they continue to produce these "wallabies", which is when you step back an exceptional feat for any club. why rant the brums producing international players?

this year the Tahs have been crippled by a lack of cohesion and strike power in the back line caused through injury and inconsistent form. Not the front office or some dude in a blazer who refused to allow his team to be associated with the Fleet in the ARC and crippled australian rugby forever in some sort of chicken and the egg argument that doesn't matter cos it never happened.

how will the reds be judged this year if they fail to make the finals? they have wallabies, they have had opportunity, will they say injury? they have a solid case to, i for one would accept it. Will they point at Bryce? if they miss out by a game certainly and again, they may have merit. If the Tahs said any of these excuses would reds fans listen? probably not.

how will the Brumbies be judged, it really doesn't matter what they do from here as what they have done so far has been beyond expectation. due to the fact that no one expected anything of them. if they make the finals this year and don't next year is it an inherit flaw in there culture? is pointing to a championship won over a decade ago still grounds for being a better run club than another?

as a truly ardent Tahs supporter, people will read this and believe it is full of excuses, thats fine, but as a tahs supporter I'm disappointed about this year. Not because i believe there is inherit flaw in the system, but due to the fact the tahs have lacked the strike power at crucial times to put points on the board when it counts.

Im happy with the way the forwards are playing, yet i believe with the youth on the bench we sometimes miss out on leadership in the last 20 minutes.

I'm happy that Kingston and Foley have stepped up this year. i see two players with long term futures and possible wallaby jerseys down the line.

I'm sad that we have been robbed of Drew and Turner for so long, they have been missed and the difference for mine in at least a few of losses. Injuries happen though and like australia against samoa the Tahs depth has been found out to be lacking out wide.

if the system at the Tahs is broken, players have no passion and this is a poor year, we have lost 5 games by less than 7, so all i can say is, if this is rock bottom, its a pretty damn good foundation.

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
there is absolutely no heart in it anymore.

agree - becames just like a job in the office, nothing to prove.
Instinct would suggest get rid of the lot, but it takes courage to do that, rather than avoid risks and perpetuate mediocrity.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Waratahs can't use injuries as an excuse for this year...

Losing Mitchell and Turner was certainly a loss, but otherwise they've played nearly the entire season with a near full strength XV packed with test players.

Last year they suffered from injuries and made the finals...

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
The Waratahs can't use injuries as an excuse for this year...

Losing Mitchell and Turner was certainly a loss, but otherwise they've played nearly the entire season with a near full strength XV packed with test players.

Last year they suffered from injuries and made the finals...

Paka - 6 games?
Rocky - 6 games
Mitchell - Season
Lachie - season
Foley - 4 games
berrick - 3 games
vickerman - season
alcock - 3 games
mccutchen-season
horne - 2 games (suspension)
TPN - 1 game
Palu - 3 games

pretty fair for a 30 man squad to have had 12 players injured or suspended, but hey, don't let that get in the way of a good lynching.

having test players is fantastic, as it means that you have a player that has achieved to a high level and brings experience and knowledge to the camp. But having a wallaby doesn't mean much in a team sport if those outside are constantly changing and not adapting fast enough to form combinations and game plans that allow for cohesive play. (ask the rebels)

Reactions: mjw
Status
Not open for further replies.