• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

What makes a good coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
At the pro level.

Answers on a postage stamp people. Better yet, put them in this thread.

Cheers

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
So we have to assume that they have the runs on the board at the lower level.

1st-Man management/ gaining the respect of your players.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
disco said:
So we have to assume that they have the runs on the board at the lower level.

1st-Man management/ gaining the respect of your players.

ok, from my perspective that's close to what I think their number one skill should be - the ability to get the best out of your players.

So whether its devising the game plan to harness strengths.

Stretching the players at training to ensure they are always advancing.

Ensuring they remain motivated so that they are performing at the highest level consistently.

There's a lot in this topic guys, lets get into it.

Because, in the end, I believe I am forming the hypothesis that the 4 Aussie S14 coaches are duds. To test that theory however, I first need to understand what makes a good coach, in order to prove that they are not good coaches.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
It's pretty tough to call as Eddie Jones was a wanker but he was also successful at super rugby level, Robbie Deans seems to interact better with the players & has an even better record but only time will tell wether that works at test level.

F

formeropenside

Its interesting to speculate - Alan Jones was a good coach 25 years ago, and although he technically understood the game, I dont know that he ever even played it. His skills were in getting the players really fit, and choosing the type of players he wanted to play a particular plan.

Buchanan was a good cricketer by ordinary standards, but was ineffective in a handful of first class games. Yet he was a superb coach by any measure, except perhaps the players (mostly particular high profile ones) liking him. Buchanan's skills seem to line up with what Noddy expressed as a skillset in the first post.

To me, a coach should have:

1. A philosophy on how the game should be played - this is a broader concept than a "game plan";
2. An ability to identify and develop talent that is latent or unused in players, or that others have not noticed;
3. the character to play well with others, and delegate where necessary;
4. A passion for his team, not just for being a "professional coach".

Status
Not open for further replies.