• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

When are we going to address the crisis of not being able to play in rain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Its just the traditional game Australia employ. Its not suited to rain. NZ are able to vary their natural game to contend with different conditions. In SA we pretty much always play like its raining anyway so it doesn't hamper us.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
Playing in the wet is one thing. Playing in a category 2 cyclone is different. And its not like the Scots ran in 10 tries against us.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think generally NH teams do better in the wet conditions. Wales also beat the AB's at U/20 level during a wet game.

FANATIC

Fred Wood (13)
Wet and altitude, Australian rugby needs to start training for both. We need to have gear on hand for both. We don't. The U20 Argie lads were wearing skins while our lads shivered in the mud. As I have said elsewhere, I don't think the Scots train any place where they can work on their tan in their speedos.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
why the hell is Nucifora still coaching the u20 side?

I found this in Wayne Smith's most recent article (quoting John Connolly). You aren't the only person scratching their head:

Connolly also claimed that while Nucifora has monopolised the Australian under-20 coaching position, New Zealand had furthered the development of its brightest young coaches by each year appointing three to handle the NZ side that has won every title.
"Each year, one of the coaches from the previous year drops out and a new coach is brought into his place, so NZ has basically a production line of coaches getting international experience," Connolly said.
"By contrast, Australia each year has Nucifora handling the team, assisted by Anthony Eddy. How is that helping the emergence of the next generation of coaches?"
Connolly said his call for a full review of Australian rugby should the Wallabies lose the three-Test series against Wales was not directed against coach Robbie Deans. "It's about bringing consistency and professionalism to Australian rugby. The players are busting a gut but they are not getting the support they need."

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
The last coach to come up through the U20s (rather than to be moved down into them) was Phil Mooney who did a lot of good stuff and a lot of bad stuff during his time in Super rugby. Whether you like him or hate him, he got his start through the U20s (it may have actually been the U19 or 21 but you catch my drift).

I think a good system of U20 coaching development would be in 2 year cycles, where a head/assistant coach are appointed for 2 years so they can fully enact their vision. If the system works well the assistant steps up, if not you go through a review process and find new blokes.

FANATIC

Fred Wood (13)
Training sessions at Jindabyne in the winter. It's cold, it's wet and it high. Sounds good to me ...
Yes!
And we have an the best AIS training center there - Australian Institute of Sport (AIS) - Altitude Training Center New South Wales Institute of Sport. If the lads want to sport their speedos they can do a few laps around the lake. I have never heard of Rugby using it. If 'management' are too posh to stay in the barracks there is plenty of lakeside accommodation. I am ex-snow sports so know the place very well. It is perfect.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
For the out of towners, Finals day at TG Milner for the NSW Junior State Champs was a good bad weather day.

Probably the last time for a long time for many of these up and coming kids, 'cause the councils close the grounds down here at the drop of a hat. Can't blame then in many instances, cause the usage rates are excessive for the limited rugby ovals that we have. The councils are trying to keep the majority of the people happy for the long term.

They couldn't give give a fig about whether our athletes can or can not play in adverse conditions. Their concern is to avoid having angry ratepayers call/email the councillors about the "shocking" state of [insert appropriate name] Park.

Love the Jindabyne idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.