• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where did we go wrong? Wallaby Recovery thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I thought we picked a team that lacked size in both forwards and backs. I hoped we would play an innovative, fast game plan to maybe take advantage of this. We did not.

Outmuscled in every facet. Need more punch from the backrow- both Mowen and MMM were very poor. Fardy, maybe McCalman should be considered.

In the backs- come in Honey Badger. Move JOC (James O'Connor) to fullback, Mogg back to the bench. Need some physicality, some mongrel, some line-bending.
JOC (James O'Connor) to fullback?
He plays shit at 10, and they sack the coach.
He plays shit at 11, and now he gets moved to fullback?
He should ride the pine or go surfing.
There is no basis for selecting him in the run on side.
At all.
Sack the 15 as well.
If he is not confident in his skill set to perform at that level,he is of no use.
How long did they sign Link for?

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
I know someone has already mentioned it, but JOC (James O'Connor)'s positioning was twice attributable to a AB's try, he may be talented but he hasn't been playing wing for quite a while and struggled there tonight.

We need some more size in the backline, id like to see Tomane back in the team and Izzy needs to be injected much much more.

Izzy also needs to inject himself much much more. He struck me as somewhat lazy tonight. JOC (James O'Connor) was obviously making the effort and calling for the ball and getting stuck in (in attack anyway).

I also though our short passing game and shuffle across field really limited the chance to get him the ball. Did anyone else notice that or was it just me? We were playing really short passes while To'omua was on with no width in the backs whatsoever. And no width in forward pods off To'omua either. I suspect this was deliberate but it limits the time the backline have and means you can play flat at the line...

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
JOC (James O'Connor) to fullback?
He plays shit at 10, and they sack the coach.
He plays shit at 11, and now he gets moved to fullback?
He should ride the pine or go surfing.
There is no basis for selecting him in the run on side.
At all.
Sack the 15 as well.
If he is not confident in his skill set to perform at that level,he is of no use.
How long did they sign Link for?

JOC (James O'Connor) was the only back to consistently threaten the line tonight.

Made a few defensive errors, but he certainly wasnt alone there.

Looked far more assured than Mogg.

T

TOCC

Tomane? Surely Cummins would be the best option for a sizeable bruiser?

apart from stats indicating that Tomane is 6kg heavier, i actually like his style of play more, he seems to look for work more similar to Ioane, where as Cummins seems to peg himself on the wing more but he is a very good finisher.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
How many times did he come in off his man?
It's no coincidence his man scored 3 tries tonight.
It's Test footy,you can't have anyone who leaks that many points.
When he kicks poorly at 15, do we then pick him at 12?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
How many times did he come in off his man?
It's no coincidence his man scored 3 tries tonight.
It's Test footy,you can't have anyone who leaks that many points.
When he kicks poorly at 15, do we then pick him at 12?

Well on two of Smith's tries he was hardly culpable- one was from a spilled ruck ball, the other a simple overlap.

He came in a couple of times, sure. But it was his first time playing wing in ages, so it is kind of understandable. Still errors, but he provides more than enough upside that he should be kept.

Pusser

Larry Dwyer (12)
JOC (James O'Connor) was the only back to consistently threaten the line tonight.

Made a few defensive errors, but he certainly wasnt alone there.

Looked far more assured than Mogg.
He looked very assured wherever he was. He just wasn't where he was supposed to be a lot of the time. It was no accident the AB's targeted his wing. Not saying Mogg looked assured though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I love to put the boot into the brand (not as much as Marto obviously), and yeah, his defence in the first half allowed the AB's in a few times, but he did at least threaten in attack.........

And Mogg is copping a lot, rightly so for a poor game, but at least he took some high balls (not many Aussie fullbacks have done this lately), and there were a couple of try saving tackles (despite the non tackle attempt on Conrad)..........

But if any of the back 3 deserve criticism it should be Folau, for being absent the entire game and contributing absolutely nothing...........

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Where we went wrong
- Mogg was horrible and not test level.
- MMM was ineffective, so too Mowen
- To'omua offered very little
- Folau was a ghost
- JOC (James O'Connor) positioning was shocking

Notes for next test.
- JOC (James O'Connor) won't be dropped after that. Either he or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will be fullback.
- Quade to 10, Genia combination works and EM knows them well.
- Fardy to 6 with Hooper 7, Mowen 8.
- Cummins to 14 or Kuridrani to 13

Positive: How good it feels to have a reliable kicker!!

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
apart from stats indicating that Tomane is 6kg heavier, i actually like his style of play more, he seems to look for work more similar to Ioane, where as Cummins seems to peg himself on the wing more but he is a very good finisher.

Sorry, but I'd have to say it's closer to the exact opposite. Cummins is also a much, much harder runner than Tomane - or at least has been for the past several months.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Well on two of Smith's tries he was hardly culpable- one was from a spilled ruck ball, the other a simple overlap.

He came in a couple of times, sure. But it was his first time playing wing in ages, so it is kind of understandable. Still errors, but he provides more than enough upside that he should be kept.

He wasn't even playing wing for Smith's 2nd and 3rd try.

He should of course get a bollocking for not trusting AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) for that first try though.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) should also get a bollocking for not being able to set up try after his break. We can miss those opportunities. Just imagine the difference in Conrad Smith had made that break!

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Backs
- Happy for JOC (James O'Connor) to stay on the wing.
- Folau to 15 and Cummins in. What I wanted to see this test.
- Genia needs to be told he will be hooked the first time the ref tells him to use it.
- To'omua needs to improve, passes were not in front of the man and he took way too much time.

Forwards
-urgh
-start Gill and Hooper
- Simmons deserves anther go
- how long was Fardy on for? One shot of him he looked like he didn't know what hit him, understandable so give him time off the bench before a starting role.
- front row was good

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Written elsewhere, but my first thoughts

I'm still not sure what the point of Simmons is - he's good at the lineout and restarts but apart from that. Seriously. What's the point of him? He's invisible, and not in the good way.

I took special notice of Simmons last night because of all the bad rap he gets from punters around here and this is just bullshit! Go back & watch again, he was very heavily involved in the game & his first half especially was very very good.
Some people just can't see past their preconceived notions.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Did I see Hooper pack at 8 on one of our feeds towards the end?

Maybe Link is toying with this on our attacking scrums.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Ash I know what you're saying, and the stats might completely disagree with my impression, but he just doesn't seem to have any impact on a game. He doesn't make things happen. And not in an x-factor way either, he just never seems to be able to take the game by the scruff of the neck and make big plays when it counts. He's just meh.

Not every player, especially tight forwards need the bloody X factor!

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
But if any of the back 3 deserve criticism it should be Folau, for being absent the entire game and contributing absolutely nothing.....

No, no, it's Mogg. He was by far the worst. Let's not mince words here- he had a fucking shocker, and frankly deserves to be dropped.

Folau stayed on his wing almost the entire night, and very little play came his way (Savea barely touched the ball as well). Whether he was told to stay out there I don't know, but I would have liked to have seen him go looking for a bit of work.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
No, no, it's Mogg. He was by far the worst. Let's not mince words here- he had a fucking shocker, and frankly deserves to be dropped.

Folau stayed on his wing almost the entire night, and very little play came his way (Savea barely touched the ball as well). Whether he was told to stay out there I don't know, but I would have liked to have seen him go looking for a bit of work.

yeah when the ABs are targeting JOC (James O'Connor)'s wing all night, what is Folau to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.