• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where did we go wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
I do not think horwill should be captain
A leader must have a clear head when making decisions and I dont feel he is able to control his emotions to a satisfactory level.
His track record of stomping (3rd minute 1st lions test and on palmer vs brumbies 2013) is unacceptable for the wallabies captain- we are not a nation who tolerates this behavior.
After the second test when he cried, i felt, sure- its been a stressful week and he's relieved... but then we lost the second and the series and he was crying again- is this going to happen every time we lose? the welsh players were laughing at him during his sobbing speech ffs!
It is without doubt Horwills emotion driven decisions have won us games in the past and his place in the team isnt being questioned-
I understand hes the 'follow me over the top boys' leader and sometimes this is on, but i feel we need a leader who can pause, consider the alternatives and carefully choose to go around, go under or go through if thats the best option

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
totally agree he would have performed better, but there was no way he could have been allowed to play
10 was one of the standout issues without a doubt

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Firstly, we really must work out why so many of our players get injured. It would be interesting to see an analysis of our player performance against that of the other tier one nations.

Secondly, it would be good if we could get the basics right. Like, kicking out of hand, for example.

Thirdly, it would be nice if we had a backline that looked as though they had known each other for a couple of weeks. Preferably longer.

However, for all that, we almost won the first test. If we had........

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
My 2c:

Like KevinO said JOC (James O'Connor) should not have been at 10. Perhaps on a wing, but not as a playmaker. He's a ball runner for god's sake.

KB (Kurtley Beale) should not have been out of rehab and in the team. He's going through some series life-altering adjustments and he didn't really need the pressure of a massive test series. The two penalty kicks in the first test summed it up for me. I really did feel for him.

Alexander didn't have a good series and we should have looked for a better THP. Whether it was form or just owned by the Lions props, he was spanked royally. I've been a big fan of his, but for the last few series (spring tour 2012 and the lions series) he has started to regress. Slipper would be my pick for THP.

Palu was clearly not up to a full match and should have been used as a bench player. Mowen and Klimin would have been better choices to start, but then you do run the risk of losing some big-game experience.

I think our preparation was awful too; at least some lead-in test match play would have been good. Soup was never going to be enough preparation work, we needed some decent test match Rugby.

Oh well, since we lost this one it means the Lions will be back in 12 years time. Until then...

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Picking a massive pack then trying to build phase after phase tiring them out.
Playing players out of position and no settle combo at 9/10
Playing with half injured players

Status
Not open for further replies.