• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where is Nemani Nadolo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chauncey

Peter Burge (5)
I was wondering why we have not heard anything of the Waratah's BIG signing of 2008..... .....yes 2008 - Nemani Nadolo. 193cm and 123 kgs of hard charging freight train.
2 years later and all we have is some great games for the Manly Marlins. Why does Hickey seem to have an aversion to playing the big fella?
I think he should have been given a run this season. We do not have enough big, hard running and fast backs as it is without leaving someone like this in the stands every game. What a complete waste.
People may think this sounds left field but I can even see him as a possible solution to Australia's lack of depth at Number 8. He would be like a faster version of Palu with a step thrown in for good measure. Move over Piere Spies!
We need another big, hard running behemoth who can drag in 2 or 3 opposition players to stop him, freeing up some space for the outside backs to cut loose.
When we face the Springboks soon we will witness size, strength and speed over our skill only side.
Hickey..........listen up, we need guys like this!

rustycruiser

Billy Sheehan (19)
1) He is headed to Bourgain in France for the 2010-2011 season
2) He is in the Fiji team to play Australia and then in the Pacific Nations Cup.

/thread

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Welcome aboard Chauncey,

He was another example of hype. We saw him in club rugby a while back running over folks and scoring one try after another - and 4, or was it 5, against my Rats team, but there was no footie player behind all the power. He always had trouble with his hands but last year I noticed him trying to chip over the top of people.

The last I saw him play at the park was in Huxley's comeback game at Knox for the Jr. Tahs against the Runners and he looked like a comic book rugby player. You didn't know whether to laugh or cry, the things he did, or couldn't do. It's a pity; we all wanted him to do well but the skill wasn't there and sometimes not the heart either.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Guys, from what I gather I think what Lee is trying to say here is he was another example of hype. We saw him in club rugby a while back running over folks and scoring one try after another - and 4, or was it 5, against Lee's Rats team, but there was no footie player behind all the power. He always had trouble with his hands but last year Lee noticed him trying to chip over the top of people.

The last time Lee saw him play at the park was in Huxley's comeback game at Knox for the Jr. Tahs against the Runners and he looked like a comic book rugby player. You didn't know whether to laugh or cry, the things he did, or couldn't do. It's a pity; we all wanted him to do well but the skill wasn't there and sometimes not the heart either.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Sorry my computer froze so my last post may have looked a bit weird for a while and I had 3 at one stage.

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
I think he changed his name as an homage to his mother... It was confirmed he signed today in Bourgoin.
I believe it will be a big change for him coz Bourgoin is a small industrial and grey city on the Alps valley, with not so much animation and fun.
The exact opposite of Manly

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I agree with that he was probably over-hyped but I also agree that the man should of had 1 or 2 super caps to show his worth. Shame.

Cyril Towers (30)
Welcome aboard Chauncey,

He was another example of hype. We saw him in club rugby a while back running over folks and scoring one try after another - and 4, or was it 5, against my Rats team, but there was no footie player behind all the power. He always had trouble with his hands but last year I noticed him trying to chip over the top of people.

The last I saw him play at the park was in Huxley's comeback game at Knox for the Jr. Tahs against the Runners and he looked like a comic book rugby player. You didn't know whether to laugh or cry, the things he did, or couldn't do. It's a pity; we all wanted him to do well but the skill wasn't there and sometimes not the heart either.

What he said!

Chauncey

Peter Burge (5)
How about as a Number 8?

Thanks for your thoughts Lee. I see what you mean.
With our complete lack of depth at 8, surely Nadolo could have been worth a transition with some training and time. He certainly would not be any worse than Brown or Houston and could very well be much better. He may not have the hands of a winger but not many forwards do.
Anyway, all theoretical now if he is off to France.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
With our complete lack of depth at 8, surely Nadolo could have been worth a transition with some training and time. He certainly would not be any worse than Brown or Houston and could very well be much better. He may not have the hands of a winger but not many forwards do.

Welcome to the forum Chauncey and I don't mean to be a dickhead but this comment is ridiculous. Because he is big does not mean he will be a good 8.

He has issues with his D just as much as his hand. The man has the size but none of the skills to be an 8, not to mention completely lacks the temperament. Scrumming, line-out jumping, positional play in attack and defense are just a few of the things he'd have to learn to make the change, a lifetime of knowledge.

This man couldn't cut S14 level in his own position, suggesting he would probably or even potentially be better 8 than a Wallaby and a former Wallaby tourist is more than I can bare.

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
Jonah Lomu played nb 8 this year... But in third division and coz he had no more fitness to be a back

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Jonah also played in the forwards at Wesley College. There's a photo of him in the lineout when he was a 14 y.o. lock in the 1sts !!! Later he played 8 for the school.

He didn't play wing until after he left school, and incidentally, after he had played 7s for NZ already. Incidentally also, in his first provincial game for Counties the opposing fullback was having his 2nd provincial game, Christian Cullen. Would loved to have been at that match.

When he was told after the game that the AB selectors had him in their sights for the trials as a winger, Jonah was a bit surprised. It was his first game in the position and he was just 18.

Novocastrian

Herbert Moran (7)

Hmmm, pretty silly comment. He often seemed to try and avoid contact when playing on the wing, last year as Lee mentioned there was a lot of chipping over the top and a ~120kg professional winger choosing to kick rather than run over amateurs weighing 20-30kg less does not a powerhouse no 8 make. IMO if you chucked him at 8 he'd be a bigger, even softer, version of Hoiles

Status
Not open for further replies.