• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Prefer to see a probable v possible of under 23 v over 23 rather than SOU/SOO and especially against something that is drawn along racial lines.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Fiji’s Super entry has the ingredients for a runaway success (smh.com.au)

Good to see people like Tuirinui push for domestic legs of Super, two round domestic comp then a single round crossover will give you 15/16 games then finals, A champion in each country, 3 games each weekend, a domestic comp, a TT comp, flexibility for future growth & champion league options.

The RA must have rocks in there heads if they sign up for a full TT from next year.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Fiji’s Super entry has the ingredients for a runaway success (smh.com.au)

Good to see people like Tuirinui push for domestic legs of Super, two round domestic comp then a single round crossover will give you 15/16 games then finals, A champion in each country, 3 games each weekend, a domestic comp, a TT comp, flexibility for future growth & champion league options.

The RA must have rocks in there heads if they sign up for a full TT from next year.
Yep, the other thing as well is that its highly unlikely it would be a full home and away, so it would end up some fixture list where every Aus team plays each other twice and the others once etc. that some will complain isn’t fair.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep, the other thing as well is that its highly unlikely it would be a full home and away, so it would end up some fixture list where every Aus team plays each other twice and the others once etc. that some will complain isn’t fair.

No comp is completely fair anyway Rebel, but your suggestion is good as anything.
I admit,I like the idea of a one round comp between all teams, without trying to maufacture a team from each place winning, but I stress it only me, because I not all that keen on the modern system of we have to give as many people a prize as possible, so nobody feels like they missing out. It schoolboy level.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
No comp is completely fair anyway Rebel, but your suggestion is good as anything.
I admit,I like the idea of a one round comp between all teams, without trying to maufacture a team from each place winning, but I stress it only me, because I not all that keen on the modern system of we have to give as many people a prize as possible, so nobody feels like they missing out. It schoolboy level.

I dont mind the single round idea, however the only catch is that it would be financial suicide as there isn't enough games to get a decent tv deal or build memberships

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Domestic seasons followed by an international/champions club comp just seems like common sense and there's a reason it's the way that every other successful league in the world is structured.

I agree they work well, but not with a 5 team domestic league that I have ever heard of. Not against it strongly, just think 5 team comps have a real short time span before they get same ol same ol. Now if it was a 8-10 team domestic comp, with top 4 or 5 team and bottom 4-5 team in each comp playing a comp, to me anyway seems sensible.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I dont mind the single round idea, however the only catch is that it would be financial suicide as there isn't enough games to get a decent tv deal or build memberships

TV deals I think would be just as good, all they want is games, and suspect you may just find crowds will be pretty ok. What we want/need I think is an interesting comp that hold everyones attention?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think it's the perfect solution that even Dru might be able to halfheartedly get on board with. Majority domestic comp plus a little international juice at the end to keep things interesting.

I get that broadcasters want quantity but sometimes less really is more.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
I think the long experience of super rugby is that 13 rounds is too little (OG super 12), but the latter variants of super rugby were incredibly confusing and went on too long.

I also like the idea of having a domestic comp + champ first. We'll have a great case study this year where the reds will have a chance to haul in a really decent crowd to suncorp and get some press - whereas in other years there's every chance they only would have hosted a quarter final on current form, or made the grand final but played it away. Structurally, having a grand final in Australia for our teams each year makes sense.

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
I think the long experience of super rugby is that 13 rounds is too little (OG super 12), but the latter variants of super rugby were incredibly confusing and went on too long.

I also like the idea of having a domestic comp + champ first. We'll have a great case study this year where the reds will have a chance to haul in a really decent crowd to suncorp and get some press - whereas in other years there's every chance they only would have hosted a quarter final on current form, or made the grand final but played it away. Structurally, having a grand final in Australia for our teams each year makes sense.

Untill the Dura finish 1 in Aus domestic comp;)

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I think it's the perfect solution that even Dru might be able to halfheartedly get on board with. Majority domestic comp plus a little international juice at the end to keep things interesting.

I get that broadcasters want quantity but sometimes less really is more.

I'm not against the idea Derpus, but to carry it through it needs more than 5 teams in comp I think. I know we all rightly got excited to see crowd and interest at Reds/Brumbies game last week. But we need that interest in a majority of games, and unfortunately, I haven't seen it in other games lately. To be honest do many of us get a buzz looking forward to Tahs/Force game ? Even Brumbies/Rebels doesn't seem to creating a lot of excitement. I admit I not in Aus anymore so hard to tell, but seems a distinct lack of real excitement in press or even rugby forums I haunt. If Aus had 7-8 teams I can see it being more exciting.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I would definitley go to Tahs vs Drua game and vice versa if they had Drua home game against Tahs at Bankstown Stadium. I think Drua playing out of Western Sydney would be way to get some rugby interest back into Western Sydney.

Yep, but would think if Drua did play out of Western Sydney, they will or should have a number of games in Fiji, and certainly any home finals should be there.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'm not against the idea Derpus, but to carry it through it needs more than 5 teams in comp I think. I know we all rightly got excited to see crowd and interest at Reds/Brumbies game last week. But we need that interest in a majority of games, and unfortunately, I haven't seen it in other games lately. To be honest do many of us get a buzz looking forward to Tahs/Force game ? Even Brumbies/Rebels doesn't seem to creating a lot of excitement. I admit I not in Aus anymore so hard to tell, but seems a distinct lack of real excitement in press or even rugby forums I haunt. If Aus had 7-8 teams I can see it being more exciting.

Have you seen the Tahs play recently? im not sure opening them up to getting absolutely wellied by NZ teams will create more interest. On the contrary - I think not being subjected to regular pantsings can only help.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Have you seen the Tahs play recently? im not sure opening them up to getting absolutely wellied by NZ teams will create more interest. On the contrary - I think not being subjected to regular pantsings can only help.

Understand that, though I not convinced there is the divide of talent anyway. But I still think enough teams in Aus and NZ too make seperate comps more interesting is important.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I don't think there'd be much support for this, but I'd like to see a home and away series in each country with a final. Then each team playing the trans Tasman teams. Points carry over between domestic and TT but TT worth double points to make up no home and away.

16 games plus finals.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
So how many teams will we end up with, 12?

On that basis, I like two rounds of local derbies (maybe one PI team in each conference? Drua in OZ and the other in NZ) and then cross conference play.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I don't think there'd be much support for this, but I'd like to see a home and away series in each country with a final. Then each team playing the trans Tasman teams. Points carry over between domestic and TT but TT worth double points to make up no home and away.

16 games plus finals.

Sully for RA CEO.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

16 games plus finals.

That’s easily the best proposal in the 1000 pages so far. Keep it simple.

Reactions: dru
Status
Not open for further replies.