• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
@Brumby Runner the ACT don't have a thriving Club comp, not the player base not currently playing Super Rugby. But anyway the point isn't for specific teams perse, but frankly USyd would be far better than the Vikings, but I'm sure most everyone except you would agree.

@Bullrush you could easily have NZ coaches teach Aussie or SA coaches or whatever. Again not saying all those specifics are what they should have done, but point is they are options.
The point is there are many things the NZ teams or SANZAAR could have done to ensure the competition remained more competitive top to bottom.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I hate the 'it's a global game' nonsense that gets trotted out when rule changes get suggested. It fucken aint. It gets played professionally in what, 10 countries? Tops.

I demand the maul be removed.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I hate the 'it's a global game' nonsense that gets trotted out when rule changes get suggested. It fucken aint. It gets played professionally in what, 10 countries? Tops.

I demand the maul be removed.

It's played in 100 countries. Played professionally in at least 23 countries I think.

Yes. Global.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
NZ
AUS
SA
ENG
IRE
SCO
WAL
FRA
ITA
ARG
JAP

That's the first 10 off the top of my head....did you really think 10 would be the most? Tops?

Wiki lists 16 professional and semi-professional rugby competitions in the world.

Yes - rugby is a mutha fkn global sport.

:)

edit: doubled up Wales accidentally so took them off and replaced with ARG and JAP as per comments below lol

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
NZ
AUS
SA
ENG
WAL
IRE
SCO
WAL
FRA
ITA

That's the first 10 off the top of my head..did you really think 10 would be the most? Tops?

Wiki lists 16 professional and semi-professional rugby competitions in the world.

Yes - rugby is a mutha fkn global sport.

:)
USA,
Canada,
Russia,
Romania,
Spain,
Uruguay,
Paraguay,
Chile,
Brazil and
Colombia.

There's a level of semi-professionalism in the Netherlands. There's a pro Swiss team working their way through the French leagues. Poland will have a semi-pro/pro league from next season. That's 22.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I got a bit lost Dan with your posts but hey I will give you thumbs up for debating. RA at this point yes has to be held to account of signs up to poor TT designed competition as actually knows now has other options. Yes we want independent board and Robinson said he wanted this a year ago - ok so where is it?

For it to be an independand board surely is has to be set up by ALL interested parties RN, I wondering where it is too. But whatever comp is run can't be run by NZR or RA, so you would hope that someone is working on it!

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
For it to be an independand board surely is has to be set up by ALL interested parties RN, I wondering where it is too. But whatever comp is run can't be run by NZR or RA, so you would hope that someone is working on it!
Yeh it would certainly remove a lot of angst as of course Nzru and RA come with agendas outside of making the super rugby the best competition and product for fans given their wider remits and that won’t change. What having independent body to design and run it is that they would be focused on that objective and managing and dealing with nzru and RA knowing they have competing agendas and their job to manage that. All it does with nzru and RA designing and running it is create a lot of mistrust and angst amongst stakeholders and fans and indeed as history shown over time a second rate product because of those competing agendas.

So yeh where is it and/or when is it happening? Ps yes we are in complete agreement it can’t be run by nzru and RA

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
USA,
Canada,
Russia,
Romania,
Spain,
Uruguay,
Paraguay,
Chile,
Brazil and
Colombia.

There's a level of semi-professionalism in the Netherlands. There's a pro Swiss team working their way through the French leagues. Poland will have a semi-pro/pro league from next season. That's 22.
How quickly we forget Argentina and Japan. ;)

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
How quickly we forget Argentina and Japan. ;)

I assumed they were on Bullrush's original list to be honest. As they were obvious. Adding to my above list I know the Sri Lankan league at least has been semi-pro in the past and I'm pretty sure it's similar in Madagascar. Mexico has ambitions of entering a team in either MLR or SLAR while Peru is looking at SLAR.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Does Professional mean you can get paid a little bit to run out or does it mean you can earn an actual living?

If its the first, what does semi pro mean?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Does Professional mean you can get paid a little bit to run out or does it mean you can earn an actual living?

If its the first, what does semi pro mean?

Semi-pro is paid to play but Rugby isn't your first job for the length of the season including pre-season. While professional is the ability to focus on Rugby as your primary job for the length of a competition. At least as I view it.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Im genuinely surprised you can focus on rugby as a career in places like Uruguay and Romania.

It's a relatively new thing in Uruguay but the Romanian Super League has been running for quite a while now. It's actually very interesting to learn about the growth of professional playing opportunities around the world.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
It's a relatively new thing in Uruguay but the Romanian Super League has been running for quite a while now. It's actually very interesting to learn about the growth of professional playing opportunities around the world.

Souths fullback and captain Luke Samoa is a Romanian international. He spent quite a few seasons playing with different clubs in the SuperLiga.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Im genuinely surprised you can focus on rugby as a career in places like Uruguay and Romania.

Don't be mate, rugby is really pretty big in worlds sport really. Of course soccer dwarfs it, but rugby does same to many sports. There are over 100 countries member of WR (World Rugby), think maybe 18 or so are associate members though.
2 teams from a couple of small colleges (just little town WOB and I lived in) had kids play pro or semi pro in England, Wales,France, Spain, SA ,USA, Aus and Sweden. That is only what I know of. Even one team I coached had 3 kids play semi pro in England, Aus and Sweden.

Status
Not open for further replies.